Product Realization-verification vs testing

M

Marifrances

In section 7.1 Planning of product realization of ISO 9000:2000 there seems to be a distinction between "verification", and "monitoring, inspection, and test activities".

In planning product realization, the organization shall determine the following, as appropriate:
c) required verification, validation, monitoring, inspection and test activities specific to the product and the criteria for product acceptance;

I can't understand why "monitoring, inspection and testing" aren't subsets of the overall term "verification". Is it possible that in the design and development plan, these terms are referring to plans for product acceptance on the production floor.

Please, does anyone have a clue?
And in advance I thank you for your time and consideration.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

Al Dyer

Although I am more in tune with QS-9000, I would target the words "as appropriate".

I believe the company has to define in their documentation which of the methods is best suited to the product. IMHO not all of the "as appropriate" methods need to be enacted for each product.

In our situation (automotive), there are different product lines where different "appropriate" methods are established and approved by the customer through Product Realization.

ASD...

------------------
Al Dyer
Mngt. Rep.
[email protected]

D

David Mullins

What ever you do, try to keep it simple.

Both you and your customer have a set of criteria with regards to what makes your product 'acceptable'. What do you do to make sure these outcomes (criteria) are achieved?

The answer to the question is your plan for product realization. It may, or may not, include verification, validation, monitoring, etc, etc.

------------------

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
To add to Al and David's responses:

> ...there seems to be a distinction between "verification", and "monitoring,
> inspection, and test activities..."

I wouldn't get too hung up in the specific differences. For example, one might make a case that if you are inspecting something you are, in fact, monitoring it (inspections {samples} over time).

I think of them this way:

Inspection is taking a feature and deciding whether or not the feature is acceptable according to a standard or other defined criteria and recording the findings (data).

I think of monitoring more along the lines of - say a temperature gage on an oven.

I think of testing much like I do inspection except when I hear the word TEST I think of something beyond measuring a dimension or such - I think of something like material analysis or a method of analyzing function with respect to requirements (does it work?).

I usually associate verification as a design phase activity - but again, I think these in some ways are used somewhat interchangably.

I look forward to some thoughts from others on differences myself.

J

John C

We take a prototype car out for a long, fast run, just after dawn on a straight, quiet road, up into the mountains.

We monitor the engine temperature by inspecting the guage from time to time, to verify that it isn't over the red and, in so doing, we test the cooling system's characteristics against specification and validate it's performance expectations.
rgds, John C

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Use of External Documents in Product Realization Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
J Service Industry Quality Manual and Product Realization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
E 7.1 (f) Question on this product realization requirement AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
I Interpreting Product Realization (Clause 7) in ISO 9001:2008 for Service Industry ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
A Product Realization Requirements in a Non-Manufacturing Environment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Q Identifying Critical Items and Key Characteristics - Product Realization Process AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 8
I Hospital Product/Service Realization and Monitoring/Measurement (ISO 9001) Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 4
M Government Contract Product Realization Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Q Interpretation of Clause 7.1 Planning Of Product Realization in AS9100C standard AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
R Product Realization in a Medical Device Component Manufacturer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
C Requirements for FMEA outside of Product Realization AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 8
K Product Realization in 'Training' - 7.3 Design And Development Exemptions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
G Defining Quality Objectives for Product Realization and Design and Development AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
C Section 7.1 of ISO 13485 - Risk Management throughout Product Realization ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
J How to define a Product's Realization Process and Scope ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Q ISO 14971 Class II Medical Devices - Product Realization & Risk Management ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
T Product Realization Confusion - Manufacturer Specifications Aspects and Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
S 7.1 Planning of Product Realization vs. 7.1.1 Project Management AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 13
C Risk Management throughout Product Realization ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Z 7.1d Product Realization Records in a Small Cleaning and Painting Service Shop ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
H Planning of Product Realization - AS9100 Clause 7.1 - Can we exclude 7.1f? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
J Procedure doesn't define the process - 7.1 Planning of Product Realization AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 18
L ISO13485 Cl. 7.1 Process Flow (Product Realization & Risk Management requirements)? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Q Product Realization Procedure - How to comply with ISO 9001 Clause 7.1 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
P ISO 13485 implementation - Product realization is done at the 3rd party site ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
V What is Product Realization in ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
kmyers Please Review my Product Realization Map ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
J Change Control - Product Realization example procedure - TS 16949 Clause 7.1.4 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
M Product Realization Procedures and Exclusions for a Small Consulting Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
H What process does 7.0 Product Realization refer to? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
A Exclusion of Product Realization clauses 7.2, 7.4 and 7.5 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
Sidney Vianna AS9120 - Should planning of product realization be excluded? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
A Do these Product Realization Flowcharts make sense? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
J Product Realization Plant Layout - Moving to a Larger Building - Need info Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
S Process Map example for Management, Provision and Product Realization Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 1
H Planning of Product Realization (Quality Plans) - Clause 7.1 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
V Planning of Product Realization - Risk Management - ISO 13485 Clause 7.1 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
A Planning of product realization EN 9100 Clause 7.1 e AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 9
D Should Sales & Marketing be included in Product Realization? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
M TS16949 section 7.0 Product Realization - Subcontractor with no Design responsibility Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
C My Product Realization Map - Please Critique ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C Product Realization Map attached - Please Critique ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
I Product Realization....what does it mean IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
Y What is Product realization?? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 38
P TS 16949 Product Realization Audit - Seeking Plan and Questions to ask General Auditing Discussions 4
M Auditing Product Realization - Advice on common oversights to look for? General Auditing Discussions 8
R Identification and Traceability During the Product Realization Process IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
B Product Realization and Change Control - Small Shop - Clauses 7.1 and 7.1.4 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
D Planning for Product Realization example form, template or checklist Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
R Product Realization - What does Product Realization mean in terms I can explain? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14