Product Requirement

JNIKQ

Starting to get Involved
I’m going to bid on a product that has a requirement for Hydrogen Embrittlement. What is expected of me?

Enghabashy

Quite Involved in Discussions
*As my field ; Hydrogen Embrittlement is part of issue for material , welding ,pressure vessels 2014-68 EU ; pressure pipes ; austenitic steel selection & steel welding --etc --

1- ASTM F1459-06 (2017)

Standard Test Method for Determination of the Susceptibility of Metallic Materials to Hydrogen Gas Embrittlement (HGE)

2- ISO 16573-1:2020

Steel Measurement method for the evaluation of hydrogen embrittlement resistance of high strength steels Part 1: Constant load test

3- ISO 16573-2:2022

Steel Measurement method for the evaluation of hydrogen embrittlement resistance of high-strength steels Part 2: Slow strain rate test

4- ISO/TR 20491:2019

Fasteners Fundamentals of hydrogen embrittlement in steel fasteners

** therefore ; the field of activity should be considered

JNIKQ

Starting to get Involved
*As my field ; Hydrogen Embrittlement is part of issue for material , welding ,pressure vessels 2014-68 EU ; pressure pipes ; austenitic steel selection & steel welding --etc --

1- ASTM F1459-06 (2017)

Standard Test Method for Determination of the Susceptibility of Metallic Materials to Hydrogen Gas Embrittlement (HGE)

2- ISO 16573-1:2020

Steel Measurement method for the evaluation of hydrogen embrittlement resistance of high strength steels Part 1: Constant load test

3- ISO 16573-2:2022

Steel Measurement method for the evaluation of hydrogen embrittlement resistance of high-strength steels Part 2: Slow strain rate test

4- ISO/TR 20491:2019

Fasteners Fundamentals of hydrogen embrittlement in steel fasteners

** therefore ; the field of activity should be considered
Thank you for your reply.
So, if none of these specific test are clearly called out, how can I be held to perform all these test? Wouldn’t some Non-Destructive Testing evaluation be adequate?

Enghabashy

Quite Involved in Discussions
+ most of them is UT ;
++ useful article for the scope : Hydrogen Attack, Detection, Assessment and Evaluation
+++ I prefer the following :
you should refer to incoming material requirements, other in-process & final test requirements ; it's the responsibility of your suppliers & external providers for material also ; it's not appropriate to make test after shipping ; it's more effective to receive the material with the appropriate test evidences ; I receive the components with engraved UT identification mark as a requirement of pressurized parts -- therefore the reference standards & any other mandatory regulation should be followed

Top Bottom