SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Product Safety in AS9100D Clause 8.1.3 - Hazards Analysis

DannyK

Trusted Information Resource
AS9100D clause 8.1.3 states:
8.1.3 Product Safety
The organization shall plan, implement, and control the processes needed to assure product safety during the entire product life cycle, as appropriate to the organization and the product.

How does this clause apply to a machine shop or parts manufacturer, most of whom have no idea of the safety implications ?

Is the hazards analysis the way to implement this requirement?

Can this clause be non applicable for a build to print manufacturer?

Thanks for your input.

Danny

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
How does this clause apply to a machine shop or parts manufacturer, most of whom have no idea of the safety implications ?
As I see it, a build to print machine shop would support product safety by ensuring robust management of special requirements, critical items and key characteristics.

S

sunnycosta

I am the QA of an AS9100C CNC Machine shop excluded from 7.3 (Design). We machine parts based on our Customers Drawings and CAD models.
Is Product Safety is a legitimate exclusion, for us? Our customers design the product and are responsible for how it works and what its safety condition is. Safety for us extends only to employee safety in the shop.
Please advice.

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
I am the QA of an AS9100C CNC Machine shop excluded from 7.3 (Design). We machine parts based on our Customers Drawings and CAD models.
Is Product Safety is a legitimate exclusion, for us? Our customers design the product and are responsible for how it works and what its safety condition is. Safety for us extends only to employee safety in the shop.
Please advice.
Although product safety begins with design, producing the product to meet the design requirements can also have an impact on product safety. Obviously, as Sidney mentioned, any special requirements identified by the customer should be given special care. If you have knowledge of how the product is used, then you would have more insight about how to ensure product safety. If you have no knowledge of product use, then just making it to customer requirements is all you can do. IMO you couldn't say it's not applicable.

Last edited:

Eredhel

Quality Manager
We include the manufacturing process in our safety stuff. There is probably a lot of safety stuff you do and just don't realize it/document it. Buying a lockout/tag out kit for when a machine is being worked on is an easy example.

Eredhel

Quality Manager
That's a great point, and very true. Sorry was throwing out something random. For product safety we do have things like corrosion prevention, deburr, packaging, shipping, et cetera, and the occasional critical feature callout. Very little of what we make will have product issues.

nacnack

Starting to get Involved
Ok this clause has baffled me for some time and continues to do so with Machine shops that have no work performed for Flight Safety, Flight Critical, Mission Critical, Fracture Critical, No titanium products. Machine shops that do not bid on flight safety contracts therefore do not produce products that can potentially kill people if they fail in use.
I understand the need to control key characteristics, but in may cases those key characteristics are only to ensure the machined part meets the customers tight specifications. I'm in some need of clarity on this issues and how it applies. Not even the IAQG Product Safety Powerpoint on their SCMH is clear enough for me. I need practical application information, not some general statements. Please make me smarter on this subject gentleman.
What exactly would you look for during an audit if the company does not produce the list I mentioned above. In my opinion its not applicable to the scope of supply. Now if the company is an FAA Repair station, I get it, but a build to print machine shop, I need some help with this one.

:bonk:

Eredhel

Quality Manager
Hehe, no doubt! Don't forget this language "...as appropriate to the organization and the product." You can look at your product and determine what is actually needed. Take a look at the parts you're running and just ask yourself what they need. For us that's usually handling issues like deburr, since we do a lot of assemblies, and corrosion prevention. A critical feature that's common for us is sealing surfaces where we need to be sure the surface finish is as required by the print. I don't honestly know if this is the original intent of the standard but it's as close as the majority of our parts get. There are some exceptions that have obvious safety concerns but that isn't what we have most.

S

SV Kishore

The product must work in the assembly i.e aircraft or missile without causing mission failure , injuries to the operators at the time of assembly , to last/work till its designated life in hours or minutes , hence for precision machined components , operations like deburring , removing sharp corners ( as stipulated in drawings , maintenance of specified hardness or coating /plating thickness ( key characteristics ) maintenance of straight edges ( where functionally a snug/sliding fit is required -- rounding of edges not desirable ) , where a profile /contour is required the same to be maintained meticulously ( this may be critical feature ) , where explosive filled sub-assemblies like ejection seats are involved , the situation is again different.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
chris1price Notified Body responsible for product safety under MDD? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
B Product Safety Responsibility - Job shop such as a machine shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
M Differences in post market safety reporting for Combination Product Applicants Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
S VW Supplier Product Safety Representative (PSB) upgrade to PSCR VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 8
C Safety lettering on a product CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
M EMC Directive and product safety standards CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
M Informational Design for new product safety marking for the no-deal Brexit scenario Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
L IATF 16949 requirements for Product Safety Procedures IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
M IATF 16949 - Who should be assigned as the Product Safety Officer? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C IATF 16949 - Product Safety Escalation Process Timeliness IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
A AS9100 Rev D - Procedure for Product Safety & Control of Counterfeit Part (Format) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
J IATF 16949 Product Safety IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
Q IATF 16949 Cl. 4.4.1.2 - Product Safety - How to interpret IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
A VW Supplier Product Safety Representative (PSB) Responsibilities and Requirements VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 4
R How to make sense of IATF 16949 Product Safety IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M IATF 16949 Clause 4.4.1.2 - Product Safety - Concept of the Title IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
G Process for Product Safety - Ideas for Documenting Process for 4.4.1.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
M Exclusion of IATF 16949 Clause 4.4.1.2 - Product Safety IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M IATF 16949 Clause 4.4.1.2 - Product Safety IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
A Can someone provide an example of a Product Safety Policy? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
L Product Safety Officer - How to keep VW Happy VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 24
V VAG Customer Specific Requirements - Product Safety Responsibility Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
S Searching for a Lab to test Patient Safety for Product used in Mouth CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
S AS9110B ? Product Safety Inputs to Management Review AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
6 Catering HACCP/Food Safety - Traceability from Receipt to Finished Product Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
M Combining EcoDesign with Compliance (Product Safety/EMC) Engineer Career and Occupation Discussions 2
C Product Safety Control example procedure wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
somashekar Product audit for using the safety mark (ETL) on label Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
Hershal Product Safety Testing - Interested in safe products? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
Icy Mountain Personnel safety to achieve product quality - TS16949 Section 6.4.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M 7.2.1.c Product requirements - Determining product, enviroment, health, safety, etc IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
S Personnel safety to achieve product quality as required by TS 16949 Clause 6.4.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Y New Japanese EMC/electrical safety standards - Additional product testing required? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
Q Product Safety - Damage or hurt to our or Client's Installations or Employees QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 6
B 4.2.3.4 Product Safety - What does this element want? I find it very ambiguous QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
D Product Safety - 4.2.3.4 - Safety considerations relative to the supplier's product? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
E Any template/ form of Monitoring and Measurement of Processes and product to ISO 13485? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Product Code 510(k) exemption US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
M REACH assessment of PCBA/finished product REACH and RoHS Conversations 0
J Validity of CE mark on distributed product when company ceases trading EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Q News cradle to grave - Product life cycle ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
J Using of CE marking - Two CE markings on the product CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
W Final Report re: Market withdrawal of radiation-emitting product Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
M Combination Product - New MAA EU Medical Device Regulations 0
pbojsen ISO 13485 Requirements versus FDA product classification and GMP exemptions - Audits ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Z REACH compliance for low volume product REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
S Does a refurbished product required a new UDI? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
lanley liao How to understand and master the requirements of each section in API monogram product. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
H Verification Process for the existing MDS Product IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
A UDI for product already packed up EU Medical Device Regulations 0