Product Shelf Life - Plastics manufacturer - Cited for no system to address

S

skits

Hi, new poster to the forums...but longtime lurker (lol)...

I need some quick advice...we just had a customer audit and they are citing us because we have no procedures in place to check the shelf life of product...the problem is, we are a plastics manufacturer and our product basically has the shelf life of plutonium...as long as it is kept out of direct sunlight, it never expires or fades...do I need to write a procedure stating that we don't need a procedure???

I'm not sure how to handle it.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Do you have anything in your tier documents that states there is no shelf life issues, and that you will assess your storage areas to ensure the products condition is maintained? I was once in a similar situation, but I pointed out that we inventoried twice per year and that inventory included assessment of product condition (documented on the inventory sheets when nonconformances found) plus documented procedures for handling (hold, inspect and disposition) material that was found in between inventories.

J

Jim Biz

As this is posted under the 1994 versions - I can tell you "what we do here" today under 9002 for what its worth.

We store finished Metal Products.

We have included a separate procedure for "preservation" in all storage areas of the plant.

Basically what we do is a YES/No acceptable audit "AT RANDOM" locations in the written doc. (5-10 condition audits in random locations per month)

We keep the signed dated checksheets onfile to show evidence of the activity - we backed that up with a notation on final inspection docs. indicating that "If materials are found to be in unacceptable condition upon presentation for shipment - they will then be addressed as nonconformaig until appropriate rework (on our case pickle & oil wire bruch/ vibrating operations (cleanup) is completed.

Hope this helps!!

S

skits

Thanks!! This is a tremendous help for me. I've only been here a few months, and they basically had NO quality system here, so I'm starting from scratch (which is kind of a good thing, but it's awfully easy to overlook stuff, too).

skits

PS..
I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum. Doh!!

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
what we did

Hello skits,

Thanks for your question. Trust me, there is never a dumb question...only ignorant people that won't ask for help.

We have the same issue here, no shelf life requirements. I added a one line statement in our quality manual that we did not use any limited shelf life items. The problem you could get into, and this is where I had a problem is what effect did our enviroment have on our materil. We maintain very little stock (we are a JIT sheet metal fabricator), but sheet metal is highly suspeptable (sp) to rust. So I added an inspection collum to our inventory sheet.

we are a plastics manufacturer and our product basically has the shelf life of plutonium
But can it deteriorate to the point of being unusable because iof enviromental conditions, i.e raw material stored in an un-airconditioned warehouse during a record heat wave???? I know I am talking worst case, but this is what you might run into.

Lots of luck and don't do to much of this:frust:

CarolX

A

Al Dyer

In reading through QS-9000 3rd edition there is a requirement for your situation. 4.15-4.15.3 (in italics i.e. ISO 1994) states that a procedure is required.

How detailed the procedure is can be your choice.:bigwave:

J

Jim Biz

Danger Will Robinson

Yep - as I read through ISO 9004:2000 guides there are "suttle" (sp?) differences between the 1994 version & the intent of what the committee is saying on this - Possibly Marc has an upgraded outlook or two on it.

For one difference in our place of business we have always interpreted the language to mean "product conditions only" - The way the new guide reads - the issues could also be expanded to packaging materials and marking label "conditions" as well.

if you are working toward/under the 9001:2000 section just let me know - I'll gladly move the thread.
I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum Doh!!

S

skits

Moving the thread is probably a good idea, thanks. :)

You guys have given me some terrific feedback today, I really appreciate it.

S

skits

We make mostly office furniture--chair bases and buckets that sort of thing. (the stuff you see in classrooms everywhere)...I've only been in this industry a few months, but from what I've heard and see, getting wet doesn't hurt the finished product at all. :/ I really liked the idea of tying it into our inventory program...we're going to try that out right away. :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J 510k - Product shelf life validation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
D Class II Sterile Product Shelf Life Labeling - Should we do a recall? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
E Expiration Date on Label for different Countries (Short Shelf Life Product) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Q Label Shelf Life shorter than Product Shelf Life ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M Determination of Product Shelf Life - New Product - No historical data Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 10
Q Product Shelf Life, FIFO and Traceability IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
L Storage & Inventory - Our product has no shelf life IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
Ed Panek CE Mark Requirements on Kits (off the shelf product requirements met) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
N Control of stock (Off the Shelf) Non-Conforming Material & Product Tags ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Off-the-shelf SW S.O.P. for non-product QSR regulated and non-regulated applications IT (Information Technology) Service Management 6
T Detailed Product Images for the Off the Shelf Items Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
A Quality Assurance of Off-The-Shelf Products - 7.4.3.1 "Incoming Product Quality" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
Felony Melony New Product Launch - Safe Launch Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
Marcel DS How do I know if my product is required be RoHS certified? REACH and RoHS Conversations 6
I Control Plan (Product/Process specification/ Tolerance) acceptance FMEA and Control Plans 27
DuncanGibbons Technical Data Package vs Digital Product Definition APQP and PPAP 0
A ISO 11135:2014, B.1.4, BI resistance x product bioburden ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Sravan Manchikanti How to interpret '8.3 Control of nonconforming product' for SaMD device while implementing ISO 13485 & MDSAP ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
R Product Recall - medical devices in the hospital warehouse Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
A Software bug fixes after shipping a product EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S How to measure severity if my product is designed for emergency use and failure would result in death? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 9
D IATF16949 7.5.3.2.1 Record Retention - Our Product or Customer Product? Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 1
H Operational planning and product and service provision when things happen so fast ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
T Letter to file for Product Certification CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
J Scope of ISO 9001 clause 10.2 in the product life cycle ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S Can a Contract Manufacturer "release" product on behalf of client to the market? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
T Formal Q Self Assessment - Problem with assigning Product and Process Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
S California Cleaning Product Right to Know Act - Product Label advice needed Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
S Definition of "worldwide" in view of IATF 16949 and Product conformity IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
H PCD remains valid for new product ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
M MDR EU Distributor for our CE Mark product in the for Netherlands EU Medical Device Regulations 6
E How do you determine if hipot is necessary for a cable product? Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
D Does Manufacture can submit CE mark application under MDD with NB for his New product after May 2020? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
N Authorised Representative details on product label? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D Importing a general wellness low risk product Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
V Process, component or full product re-qualification: leaded to unleaded solder Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 8
C Brazil - Product Code (and brand) Change Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
N Audit non-compliance API Q1 - Use of External Documents 4.4.4 in Product Realization Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
S A clinical performance evaluation study with an IVD product as Investagional Use product - Clinical Monitor requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
H Remote product audits in Coivd-19 - IATF 16949 9.2.2.4 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B EU MDR Perscription product guidance EU Medical Device Regulations 1
F Product audit sampling plans IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
D Interesting Discussion Requirements for selling a Food product in USA Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 0
D How to list multi-product sample pack in GUDID 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
N What is our product classification? (Does Unclassified classification still exists) Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
M Definition of Done - New Product Phase to the sustaining phase Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
B Product Safety Responsibility - Job shop such as a machine shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
Miner Quality checks of product QR codes FMEA and Control Plans 2
A ISO 13485 - Clause 8.3.3 appropriate actions in response to nonconforming product ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
G Handling Unpacked (Additive Chemical) Product For Automotive Applications IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3