SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Product Specification vs. Information Defining Product - The differences? 7.3.3.1

morteza

Trusted Information Resource
Hi all
I have a problem with clause 7.3.3.1 of ISO/TS 16949. In that clause ISO/TS mentions several product design outputs. I can not understand the differences between two below outputs:
- Product specifications.
- Product definition including drawings or mathematically based data.
My root problem is that I don't know what are product specifications and product information or documents defining product . I think product specifications include product definition documents such as drawings.
Also, what is the difference between product specifications and engineering specifications (clause 4.2.3.1)?
I would be grateful if some one answer above questions and give me more information about mathematically based data.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

jelly1921

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi all
I have a problem with clause 7.3.3.1 of ISO/TS 16949. In that clause ISO/TS mentions several product design outputs. I can not understand the differences between two below outputs:
My root problem is that I don't know what are product specifications and product information or documents defining product . I think product specifications include product definition documents such as drawings.
Also, what is the difference between product specifications and engineering specifications (clause 4.2.3.1)?
I would be grateful if some one answer above questions and give me more information about mathematically based data.
Product specification: Written statement of a product's required characteristics documented in a manner that facilitate its procurement or production and acceptance. It's customer's view of product. It could be confirmed by 7.3.6

Product definition: Producer's view of a product that includes product concept, design requirements and specifications, features, target market, pricing points, positioning strategy, etc. It could be confirmed by 7.3.5

Engineering specification: characteristics of the complete product that are directly related to the satisfaction of Product definition.

Jelly

morteza

Hi Jelly
Thanks for your answer.
In ISO/TS 16949 the three below terms have been used:
1- Products specifications:
The term "specification" has been defined in ISO 9000 (clause 3.7.3) as a document stating requirements.

2- Product definition:
That can be printed (hard copy) drawing or CAD drawings. (Math data)

3- Engineering specification.

According to APQP manual, design outputs include:
2.6 Engineering drawings.
By comparing clause 2.6 of APQP with clause 7.3.3.1 of ISO/TS, I think the ISO/TS intend from product definition should be drawings or math data, and it does not include pricing or target market.

2.7 Engineering specifications
According to this clause of APQP, it seems that engineering specifications are about functional/performance requirements. Engineering specifications do not include dimensional matters.

I would be so grateful if you give me more standard definitions about these terms.
Thanks all

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Hi all
You've left out part of one of the requirements. It doesn't just say
"Product specifications," it says "Product special characteristics and specifications," which I take to mean specifications relative to special characteristics.

"Product information" is a broad category that includes specifications.

There is no difference between product specifications and engineering specifications. I'm not sure what you're looking for with regard to mathematically based data; it refers to CAD data, often referred to as "math data" in automotive work.

morteza

Hi Jim,
I am not native to English language. I think "product special characteristics and specifications" should be interpreted as follows:
product special characteristics and product specifications.
But you believe the requirement should be consider as follows:
product special characteristics and Product special specifications.
I think product special characteristics include product special specifications, so there is no necessary to repeat it.
Also, on my idea, product specifications in this clause refer to functional/performance requirements (based on customer needs). If product specifications refer to other aspects of product such as dimensions, why TS require product definition such as drawings? (Of course, this question would be right if my understanding from "product special characteristics and specifications" term be true.)
Engineering specifications (4.2.3.1) refer to all product requirements (including product specifications as well as dimensions).
Thanks.
Waiting for your answer and other ideas…..:confused:

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Hi Jim,
I am not native to English language. I think "product special characteristics and specifications" should be interpreted as follows:
product special characteristics and product specifications.
But you believe the requirement should be consider as follows:
product special characteristics and Product special specifications.
I think product special characteristics include product special specifications, so there is no necessary to repeat it.
Also, on my idea, product specifications in this clause refer to functional/performance requirements (based on customer needs). If product specifications refer to other aspects of product such as dimensions, why TS require product definition such as drawings? (Of course, this question would be right if my understanding from "product special characteristics and specifications" term be true.)
Engineering specifications (4.2.3.1) refer to all product requirements (including product specifications as well as dimensions).
Thanks.
Waiting for your answer and other ideas…..:confused:
I think the problem is that the TS16949 additions to ISO 9001 are not always clear, even to native English speakers. There is in particular a problem with describing the same thing using different terms, as you have discovered. There is a feeling on the part of many users of the standard, particularly those who are not native English speakers, that because two (or more) different terms are used, they must have different and distinct meanings. It might be helpful if when you see "product specifications" or "product information," you think of it as product requirements.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Control Plan (Product/Process specification/ Tolerance) acceptance FMEA and Control Plans 27
R Contract Manufacturer/OEM Supplier - We are a specification developer for a kitted product 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
L Product Specification trace back to the Customer Specification from Marketing 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
S Pressure Gages - Equipment Tolerance vs. Product Specification Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
J Packaging Specification Needed - Packaging for Shipment and Storage of Product AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
N Geometric Product Specification (GPS) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
W How to make a Product Specification Summary / Quality Inspection Sheet Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
K Term for "product specification" Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
T Relevant Standards for Product Standard, Testing, Specification Measurement, etc. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
H Specification Description - Product audit on the production floor IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Q Does anyone have a generic Product Specification template? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
M Final Product Audit Specification - Assembly Operation example or form Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
M Problem creating a specification for "Final product audit" Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
B Product inspection specification sheet form - Examples needed Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
C Calculating Cp and Cpk for Product with only LSL (Lower Specification Limit) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 28
J Validity of CE mark on distributed product when company ceases trading EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Q News cradle to grave - Product life cycle ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
J Using of CE marking - Two CE markings on the product CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
W Final Report re: Market withdrawal of radiation-emitting product Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
M Combination Product - New MAA EU Medical Device Regulations 0
pbojsen ISO 13485 Requirements versus FDA product classification and GMP exemptions - Audits ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Z REACH compliance for low volume product REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
chris1price Notified Body responsible for product safety under MDD? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S Does a refurbished product required a new UDI? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
lanley liao How to understand and master the requirements of each section in API monogram product. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
H Verification Process for the existing MDS Product IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
A UDI for product already packed up EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A Migrating from whole product CE marking to modular approach CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
H Medical device Product Registration Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
A Can a power Supply be an accessory to a medical device, if it is an 'off-the-shelf' product. IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
M Extension to shelf life of new product under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
lanley liao Are there guidelines for application of all API monogrammal product? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
S ISO 11137- Simulated product vs SIP Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
K Interesting Discussion "World Class Product" based QM. I need advice. Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 14
R IATF 16949 Certification for new site with transferred product--what is the impact with CSR and scorecards? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
William55401 Distributed By Product - Best Practices for Configuration Management and Purchasing Controls ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
R Compatibility studies - combination product CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
R Compatibility studies - Medicinal Product and Medical Device Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
J Marking "Distributed By" to product with distributors' reference-code EU Medical Device Regulations 3
dinaroxentool Selling a product in Both UK and EU after Brexit UK Medical Device Regulations 9
P EU MDR Translation of Product Name EU Medical Device Regulations 3
N Is this a single integral drug device combination product EU MDR CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
V New Product Model CE Mark Certification under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
Sidney Vianna Informational APQP4Wind - Advanced Product Quality Planning for the Wind Power Supply Chain APQP and PPAP 3
K 510k FDA review, will they accept Biocompatibility result generated using feasibility product lots? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
G Adopting old product - compliance with IEC 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 9
S How long does it take to register a product with MHRA? UK Medical Device Regulations 8
D Classification of product for clinical trials EU Medical Device Regulations 14
N Adding unclassified product to the medical device registration US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
B Internal Auditor Competency - Product Auditors Internal Auditing 9