Production line requirements for IATF 16949 - Need to have dedicated lines?

T

TM1210

I am new to this board and after reading some very good information decided this is a good place to obtain info and share ideas. My company supplies accessories to the automotive companies and are currently in the transition from TS to IATF. I have been told that in order to be compliant we need dedicated OEM lines and clear separation of OEM lines from aftermarket lines. Our OEM products have just a handful of changes and I do not see anywhere in the standard or CSR's where this requirement is stated. Having a hard time convincing Mgmt this requirement exists if I cannot find where it is written out.
Thanks in advance!

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Welcome to The Cove.

I have been told that in...
The one who told you should identify the shall.

From a business perspective having dedicated lines might be advisable so, when you receive customer auditors visitors, they don't spy see what the competition is getting.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
I am new to this board and after reading some very good information decided this is a good place to obtain info and share ideas. My company supplies accessories to the automotive companies and are currently in the transition from TS to IATF. I have been told that in order to be compliant we need dedicated OEM lines and clear separation of OEM lines from aftermarket lines. Our OEM products have just a handful of changes and I do not see anywhere in the standard or CSR's where this requirement is stated. Having a hard time convincing Mgmt this requirement exists if I cannot find where it is written out.
Thanks in advance!

There is no such requirement. Dedicated line come into play when you want to try to reduce your audit days. If you can segregate your oem from other production you can have your audit days reduced by using your "oem" headcount.

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
There is no such requirement. Dedicated line come into play when you want to try to reduce your audit days. If you can segregate your oem from other production you can have your audit days reduced by using your "oem" headcount.

Golfman has the right answer. There is no need to segregate the lines unless you are trying to reduce your OEM automotive headcount. The Rules 5th document says:
5.2 h) if a portion of the site is dedicated to automotive, then the headcount from that portion can be used to determine audit time when the following conditions are met:
- approval from the relevant Oversight office is received prior to implementation,
- all automotive manufacturing processes are physically separated from non-automotive manufacturing (e.g. separate building, permanent barrier in between the automotive and non-automotive lines/machines, etc.)
- personnel working in the automotive manufacturing process areas are completely dedicated,
- the same ratio should be applied to the support activity headcount.

Note: if automotive manufacturing processes are integrated on the manufacturing floor with non automotive processes, then this requirement cannot be applied.

Top Bottom