Production Schedule - Looking for some good ideas on production scheduling software

D

Dawn

This isn't quality assurance software, but I'm looking for some good ideas on production scheduling software and would appreciate any pointers. Thanks, Dawn

T

Trakman

Hello Dawn,

We have used MS Project in the past but found it difficult to learn/use/update... etc.

Our new project software is Primavera (a basic version) that seems to work pretty good according to our Project mgr.

You should know that there is a significant learning curve with this type of software (about 1 week full time) and a good computer with adequate memory is required. Most good project management programs are about $1K.
Consider also that you may want extra copies and have it networked to get its' full value as a tool. We find that it needs to be frequently updated to account for variables (delayed product, etc...) and remain useable, which takes up time each week.

Good luck!

Trakman.

[This message has been edited by Trakman (edited 26 June 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Trakman (edited 26 June 2001).]

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
We;ll throw in MRP, ERP and other software into this 'topic' housing so the question fits fine.

One fine point - you asked about scheduling software - not project software, right? I've used MS Project for many projects, but have never thought of using it for production scheduling.

A

Al Dyer

Along with Marc, I believe that MS Project is the wrong choice for production scheduling. An integrated Excel spreadsheet would be more in line.

Although all software will have to be labor intensive on a daily, if not hourly, basis.

Find someone good at Excel and design a program that will work for your individual situation. Canned programs for this type of activity are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and you would be better served to use the systems already in place.

MHO

ASD...

Top Bottom