Profound Statistical Concepts

Profound Statistical Concepts 2019-10-31

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
ah but what you are ignoring is that it isn't that at all. there is no generalization going. With very few exceptions in scientific endeavors or in industrial quality we rarely just try to describe a population from a sample (what Deming called an enumerative study). What most of us attempt to do most of the time is to predict. (what Deming called an enumerative study). In science opinion doesn't matter at all; perhaps in politics, but not in science. science will always win. so I am not really sure of the point you are trying to make. Certainly there are many people who choose to not learn or think but the masses are no excuse for not doing the right thing.
One of the main things that causes science to go wrong is researchers trying to prove themselves right rather than trying to prove themselves wrong. The reason that the data always wins is that in those cases, someone will always be there to illuminate the fallacies. In industrial QA, we lack the safeguards of science in this respect, mainly because we're not interested in them. The emphasis is to give the customer what they ask for whether it makes any sense or not.

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
On the other hand, industrial statistics has a self correcting mechanism that the other "sciences" lack. If you screw up in industry, the scrap and defect rates will set you straight faster than any peer review will.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
On the other hand, industrial statistics has a self correcting mechanism that the other "sciences" lack. If you screw up in industry, the scrap and defect rates will set you straight faster than any peer review will.
In manufacturing, statistical analysis is generally intended to ameliorate scrap and defect rates, and misuse is more likely to be neutral than harmful insofar as production output is concerned. It either works or it doesn't, in other words. The primary untoward result of misuse of statistics is wasted time.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
respectfully, that continued scrap and the Customer experience effect for escapes is still a substantial cost and in some industries continued loss of life. when you add in the need for validating supply chain changes there is a real increase in cost and hazard...

Watchcat

Trusted Information Resource
I and my 'students' have solved hundreds if not thousands of very complex problems and never calculated a p value or performed a null hypothesis test. We have applied the same approaches to new product development - quite successfully.
That's great, but it's not science. Science does not seek to solve problems or develop products; it simply seeks "knowledge" not to be confused with what people mean say they "know" something. (Nor does science seek truth.)

Simply saying the p value is less than .05 (a limit that Fisher pulled out of his back pocket with little to no thought at the dawn of statistics as a profession) without detailing the study design, including the sample sizes, and the underlying science is tantamount to scientific malpractice.
Agreed, but I think the malpractice usually comes in more on the other side of the equation. It is hard (although regrettably not impossible) to do a study without knowing the details of your study design and your sample size. The underlying science, that can be iffy. It is the accepting of a p-value alone that is the more common failing, IMO, whether it is practiced by journals or their readers. (Don't get me started on the media.)

While this behavior is quite common, it sounds like you have encountered virtually nothing else within your personal universe. In my universe, those who practice science well are few and far between, but not nonexistent.

Last edited:

Watchcat

With very few exceptions in scientific endeavors or in industrial quality we rarely just try to describe a population from a sample (what Deming called an enumerative study). What most of us attempt to do most of the time is to predict.
In my universe, many people do indeed try to use science to predict, but others simply use it to describe a population. This is the knowledge that is sought. Darwin used science to gather knowledge about the origin of the species, not to predict anything, as far as I know.

Watchcat

One of the main things that causes science to go wrong is researchers trying to prove themselves right rather than trying to prove themselves wrong.
I prefer just "finding out," rather than proving right or wrong, although the latter is a better semantic fit with the notion of rejecting a hypothesis. I have the annoying habit of jumping in when someone says they are doing a test or study "to show that..." and saying, "No, we are doing that "to find out if..."

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
In the first paragraph you say that "QA professional" must only apply techniques without necessarily understanding the foundations of them, then in the second paragraph you say, ""People of very diverse levels of education and intellectual development" should not be drawing up experimental designs based on higher-than-undergrad-level statistical theory. Professional statisticians are there for that. " Leaving aside the apparent contradiction, you seem to think that the widespread practice of plugging numbers into Minitab and accepting the results uncritically is an acceptable state of affairs. If you're pretty sure that something works without a clue as to why it works, sooner or later something bad will happen.
Either you misunderstood me (I find it quite hard to believe, but the possibility exists) or you deliberately twisted my statements so as to match some image of me that you created in your mind and an unsound argument that that image (but not me) was trying to make. The latter isn't worth my time debating.
What you perceive as me thinking can't be further from reality.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
I prefer just "finding out," rather than proving right or wrong, although the latter is a better semantic fit with the notion of rejecting a hypothesis. I have the annoying habit of jumping in when someone says they are doing a test or study "to show that..." and saying, "No, we are doing that "to find out if..."
According to Information Theory, the potential rate of acquiring new knowledge is maximized when the probability of all outcomes (in the case of testing a hypothesis, proving it right and proving it wrong) is exactly equal. So when an experiment is designed to show a certain expected outcome, and that outcome actually comes about, the experiment is highly inefficient in terms of gathering new knowledge.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
WRT the death of the p-value, the 5 stages of grief and loss are: 1. Denial and isolation; 2. Anger; 3. Bargaining; 4. Depression; 5. Acceptance.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
WALLACE Deming's SoPK (System of Profound Knowledge) Discussion Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 220
WALLACE Deming's SoPK (System of Profound Knowledge) Challenge Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 66
N Design Verification & Process Validation - Statistical sample sizes Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
John Predmore Interactive visualization through graphical simulation of statistical concepts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
A Statistical Analysis - Check if these organisms at different concentrations affect the growth of wheat seedlings Using Minitab Software 4
H Statistical Techniques Procedure - What should be included Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
O Statistical justification of sampling size in V&V tests ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
optomist1 It’s time to talk about ditching statistical significance Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
Marc Steve Prevette's Statistical Process Control (SPC) "Library" Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
John Predmore A Balanced view of statistical tests Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
V Statistical basis and justification while comparing / changing sampling plans Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
S SPC (Statistical Process Control) for Unilateral Tolerance - Questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
S IATF 16949 9.1.1.3 Application of statistical concepts - Our technicians are quizzed for statistical knowledge IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
K Please help identify appropriate statistical treatment Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 13
ScottK Statistical basis for 30 pieces for FAI 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
B IATF 16949 clause 7.1.5.1.1 - Statistical studies shall be conducted IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
A Statistical Process Control and Inspection in Footwear Production Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
M IATF 16949 Cl. 7.1.5.1.1 - Statistical studies shall be conducted IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Steve Prevette Statistical Process Control Library Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 17
Marc Happy Birthday Statistical Steven - 2015 Covegratulations 10
L When are Statistical techniques not applicable? Service Industry Specific Topics 16
M FDA 21 CFR 820.250 - Does "valid statistical" always mean math? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
R Common Statistical Errors Using Minitab Software 1
Y Statistical Analysis of Road Traffic Data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 11
B Class II Medical Device Manufacturer - SOP for 820.250 Statistical 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
E Correct Statistical Test comparing 2 Groups Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 14
A Statistical Software Calibration using Ford's "Sample Calibration File" Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
J Defining Martial Arts and Gymnastics Statistical Techniques Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
J Capability Analysis - Unusual Statistical Distribution of my Proccess Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
M PhD Thesis Data Statistical Analysis Methods Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
J Statistical Significance and SPC Control Chart Reports Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
N Statistical Quality Improvement Action for Small Batch Production Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 17
V Validation of macro - scripts - programs used in statistical software (Minitab-SAS... Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
Moncia Statistical Process Control Crash Course - Question Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
H Statistical Models for Predictive Management of Software Processes Software Quality Assurance 2
A Statistical Correlation between ordered SKUs Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
S Minitab and Crystal Ball Statistical Analysis Software Using Minitab Software 13
M Determining if two different X's have any Statistical Significance on the Y's Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
I Statistical Stability for the PQ of Analytical Equipment Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
F Statistical Comparison of Product: High Average vs. Low Range Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 13
E Using ANOVA during the PQ Validation Run to evaluate Statistical Differences Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
W Gage R&R for gage pins used to inspect a hole ID called a Statistical Tolerance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
B AS 9100C sec 8.2.4 - " Recognized Statistical Principles" meaning AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 7
R What is PSW - Statistical Process Package + Level 5 APQP and PPAP 7
O Is SPC (Statistical Process Control) always required? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
V Any experience/feedback on statistical software tools...minitab -design expert -JMP Using Minitab Software 4
M SPC (Statistical Process Control) Book Recommendations wanted Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 1
I How to use Statistical Process Control (SPC)? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
M TS 16949 8.1.1 Identification of Statistical Tools - Requirement Scope? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
D Appropriate Statistical Methods to set up an Alert/Warning Limit Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 15