Project for our Risk Management class - OHSAS 18001 Help

W

wist0025

I have a take home project for our Risk Management class that is focusing on developing a table that contains OHSAS 18001 requirements going down the left hand side of the table and procedures needed to determine if you are meeting those OHSAS requirements going horizontally. I am very confused as to what "procedures" are exactly to meet OHSAS requirements. We should then be able to use this table to check off if there is a procedure in place to meet the OHSAS requirement/s. I've searched this site far and wide and have yet to find an example of a procedure/s to meet OHSAS requirements. If I could get an example form or some headway on this topic it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Re: OHSAS 18001 Help

I have a take home project for our Risk Management class that is focusing on developing a table that contains OHSAS 18001 requirements going down the left hand side of the table and procedures needed to determine if you are meeting those OHSAS requirements going horizontally. I am very confused as to what "procedures" are exactly to meet OHSAS requirements. We should then be able to use this table to check off if there is a procedure in place to meet the OHSAS requirement/s. I've searched this site far and wide and have yet to find an example of a procedure/s to meet OHSAS requirements. If I could get an example form or some headway on this topic it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Welcome to the Cove. :D

Go up to the top of the screen and click on Post Attachments List, which will send you to a page where you can search for forms and documents. Try searching for 18001 checklist.

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions
Do you have a copy of OHSAS 18001? If not, you will need to get one. Then, read through each clause and you will see that many of them say something like (clause 4.3.1) - "The organisation shall establish, implement and maintain a procedure(s) for the ongoing hazard identification ..."

So there you go, that is 1 example. I know it sounds tedious but I suspect the purpose of the project is (at least partially) to get you to read the standard.

W

wist0025

Thanks for your help so far. Yes I do have a copy of OHSAS and have found that very informative. I m asking my teacher to gain clarification on what he means by a "procedure" to determine or check if OHSAS requirements are being met. One classmate tried using the approach of using OHSAS requirements as procedures by rewording them and that failed to meet his expectations. Looks like is will be an interesting learning process.

K

kgott

I am very confused as to what "procedures" are exactly to meet OHSAS requirements.
ISO 9000 2006 defines a procedure as "a specified way to carry out an activity or a process."

There is no reason why this definition need not also apply to safety.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
ISO 9000 2006 defines a procedure as "a specified way to carry out an activity or a process."

There is no reason why this definition need not also apply to safety.
the term procedure is also defined in the OHSAS 18001:2007 document:
3.19 procedure
specified way to carry out an activity or a process
NOTE Procedures can be documented or not.
[ISO 9000:2005, 3.4.5]

Randy

Super Moderator
Teacher? Well instruct your teacher to inform you about:

OHSAS 18002:2008 -
Occupational health
and safety management
systems — Guidelines for
the implementation of
OHSAS 18001:2007

and

BS 18004:2008
Guide to achieving
effective occupational health
and safety performance

Both of these documents will contain exactly what you want

And as Sidney briefly indicated ask your teacher about the reasoning for Section 3 of OHSAS 18001:2007

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Acceptable Risk - 7.1.1 Project Management AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
A ISO 9001 Project Management and Risk Analysis Requirements - Construction ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
K Configuration, Risk Analysis and Project Management in one procedure AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
A Business Risk Analysis requirements for a New Project IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
W Must VDA 6.3 be assigned to certain project? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
E Zero part to part variation - Gage R&R project Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 15
L Project Managers - Questions For You Career and Occupation Discussions 0
Felony Melony Project Milestone Plan-Development to Mass Production APQP and PPAP 2
R Project Transfer to New Factory ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S Need guidance on project ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Sidney Vianna IATF 16949 News Update on the IATF CARA Project (“Common Audit Report Application”) - 12/2020 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
R Electrical contractor Project Quality Management Plan Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
G Should I perform Gage R&R only at the beginning of a new project? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
R What's the major difference between Green Belt and Black Belt in term of training and project Six Sigma 3
Q Project Tracker - Something that shows the status of each project Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 5
M IEC 62304 Class A Project IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 15
K A proposal for the model Quality Management - I need help for the project ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S How to start with ISO process in project based team - Documentation Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
qualprod ISO 9001 vs PMBOK (project management) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
L Managing design projects: New Medical Device Project or Change Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
H FORD's project milestone acronyms Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
R Extension of product nonconformances - Construction project Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
M PDCA as a project tool Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
QIE Electronic IFU - new project, need input Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
N Student trying to apply Lean Six Sigma on a Construction project in my thesis Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
B Will you please help me with my academic project? Repair & calibration service for test equipment ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
B [Help] Customer Engagement Survey for MBA Project - due Apr19 Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
B Help with Customer Engagement Survey for MBA Project - due Apr19 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
supadrai Aviation MRO Project facility coming to U-Tapao airport in Thailand - Help Career and Occupation Discussions 2
I GMP 21 CFR Part 11 Electronic Records Compliance Project Help Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 9
S Project Management System - What do you currently use? Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
Sam Lazzara Notified Body CE Project Manager - Worst job ever? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
B How do you manage your project? Data Conversion and Digitization Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 9
K Implementing ISO13485:2016 in the Middle of a New Device Project ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
L Ways to improve testing on our department - Project Kickoff Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
A Free software similar to Microsoft Project - Any suggestion? APQP and PPAP 5
R University Research Project - Management Review Management Review Meetings and related Processes 17
E Best Ways to Close a Project APQP and PPAP 3
A How to rollout Security Awarness at Project Level in the Organisation IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 1
G Where I could find any project HSE plan templates Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 4
S ISO 9001:2015 Transition Project Plan example wanted ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
G Senior Project for BS Mechanical Engineering Student Career and Occupation Discussions 4
L KPI Project help - Business and Management Degree Benchmarking 4
N Non-conformances whilst in the Design and Development stage of a project ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Richard Regalado Project Plan of New ISO 22301 BCMS Certified Company Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 1
W Certification on AS9100C - FAI or PPAP? Project Management or APQP? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
A Application / Use of Hypothesis Testing in any Six Sigma Black Belt Project Six Sigma 8
A AS9100 Clause 7.1.1 Project Management - Process vs Project. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
M Presentation Material for New Project Kick Off Meeting Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
V Pareto Analysis - Six Sigma - 'Productivity Improvement' project Service Industry Specific Topics 1