Project Management and Communications - Any Advice?

A

Andy Bassett

One of the company i work with is currently drowning is meeting protocolls and has guess what ....?yes a communication problem.

There are many underlying reasons to this problem, some of which relate to;
1. A lack of discipline
2. A need to cover ones bottom. (Im too polite to say arse)
3. People with capabilities not matched to the positions they are filling.
4. Too many ill-conceived projects.
etc etc

None of this detracts from the fact that they need a better communication/project managent tool than simple Word Meeting minutes that are circulated to every man and his dog.

Does a relatively simple tool exist that satisfies the same objectives. I would really like to be able to use Outlook in some way as all the employees are familiar with its operation.

I have personnally used large expensive project management software tools, but most of the ones i have seen are over the top for this application.

The trick would be to find a tool that
A. Informs specific people that they have a task to do.
B. Follows up that this taks is completed.
C. Informs SPECIFIC personnel when a SPECIFIC taks has been completed.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Regards

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

Al Dyer

Andy,

I really think you answered your own question when you mentioned MS Outlook. If used on a network it can be esily tailored to fit your exact needs.:bigwave:

A

Andy Bassett

Thanks for that Al. Do you have any experience of using Outlook for this purpose? Can it be made to work?

A

Al Dyer

I sure do, I have used it for years. Most people think of it as just a mail program, but it is also a good scheduling and tracking tool. If you want to get into specifics you can e-mail me any time you want.

As a tip though, make sure Outlook is in the start-up sequence so that nobody can say they didddn't get the "message".

Like I said, feel free:bigwave:

Ms Outlook will can manage all you asked for

Hi Andy,

Al is right. Outlook is perfectly suited for what you asked for. I have used it since it came out, and it really is a good and surprisingly simple to use tool.

/Claes

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions
oops...lost the post so here i go again......

Have not gotten into Outlook myself, although I know I should. have done some MS project stuff, but its too complex for most ......

I use a "management action log".....simple table/spreadsheet with assigned #s. Some meetings can skip the minutes, some supplement it depending on your needs then reference the Assigned # in them. You can post it on the intranet for updates (protected with revisions turned on), or hard copy.

Headings include:#, date assigned; Source (meeting, audit, complaint etc.) Assigned by, to; action; date due, date closed; comments/update

Get fancy and use a data base if you want, have done that and it works well...but most just want a hard copy table. Even use it for management review actions instead of a formal CA form

W

walteradams

The best tool that suited my needs to being able to work in Microsoft Project 2007 turned out to be valleyspeak project server.

I did not have to buy the expensive Microsoft Project Server yet got similar functionality with valleyspeak to manage my geographically dispersed teams.

M

Murphys Law

Andy - my experience is that is doesn't matter whatever IT tools are used to manage a project or programs, the key to success is a good PM who is a good leader.

If the 'team' (I used that as a quotation as the team needs to understand the goals and buy into them and are not just a group of individuals) needs to follow that lead.

The PM needs to monitor resource and cost conflicts. Too often, the 'team' is spread across multiple projects so cannot service them all correctly.

In this event, the PM director or PM office should monitor what is realistic. It may be nothing to do with the PM but simply not enough resource.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Electrical contractor Project Quality Management Plan Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
K A proposal for the model Quality Management - I need help for the project ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
qualprod ISO 9001 vs PMBOK (project management) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S Project Management System - What do you currently use? Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
R University Research Project - Management Review Management Review Meetings and related Processes 17
L KPI Project help - Business and Management Degree Benchmarking 4
W Certification on AS9100C - FAI or PPAP? Project Management or APQP? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
A AS9100 Clause 7.1.1 Project Management - Process vs Project. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
A Project Management Due Diligence Procedure example wanted Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
A Work Load Evaluation for Project Management Personnel VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 4
R VDA 6.3 - Two Project Management Questions VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 1
P Escalation Process in Project Management Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 10
J APQP Project Management in Excel - Many projects APQP and PPAP 8
K Project Management Procedure for compliance to AS EN9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
J Project Management - "Quality Check" at each phase of a Project ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q Project Management is a Support Process? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
W Project for our Risk Management class - OHSAS 18001 Help Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 6
D Management of Change - MOC Procedure and Forms - Engineering, Project, Safety Systems Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
3 Document Control & Storage - Project Management Organization and Implementation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
N Quality Management vs Project Management - Concept of PRINCE 2 Project Management ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
L Small Project Management Planning Template Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
L PMP Project Management and APQP - Differences APQP and PPAP 9
F Acceptable Risk - 7.1.1 Project Management AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
E Internal Audit for Project Management Team - Construction Industry Internal Auditing 8
J Auditing the Project Management Office ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
S 7.1 Planning of Product Realization vs. 7.1.1 Project Management AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
G Is Design and Development (7.3) applicable to a Project Management Department ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
G Project Management Qualifications Professional Certifications and Degrees 6
E Project Management: PMI vs Six Sigma Six Sigma 2
B AGILE Project Management Process for Product Design Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
D Project Quality Management and FMEA applied to Project Management FMEA and Control Plans 7
A ISO 9001 Project Management and Risk Analysis Requirements - Construction ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
R SOP for Monthly Reports to the Project Manager - Catering and Camp Management Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
J Project Management Procedure - AS9100 Clause 7.1.1 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 15
O QMS (Quality Management System) in a Project Implementation Organisation Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
K Configuration, Risk Analysis and Project Management in one procedure AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
S ISO 9001 applied within PRINCE2 Project Management Methodology ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
A ISO 10006:2003 - Quality Management in Projects - Project Management Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 13
P Looking for a Closing Document Template/Sample (Project Management) Six Sigma 3
Stijloor Glossary of Common Project Management Terms Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 0
S Develop and Train Project Management Team in Effective APQP Usage APQP and PPAP 5
S Process Identification - Sub-Processes for Project Management ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
ScottK Can anyone recommend good Project Management Text Books Career and Occupation Discussions 4
S Project Management QMS - Manufacturing and Designing of Special Purposed Machines Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
P What is difference between APQP and Project Management? APQP and PPAP 26
O Six Sigma: Service: Automation & Controls Project Management Six Sigma 1
Marc A Year of Getting Things Done: Reality in Project Management Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2
M Effort estimation guidelines - Software industry (Project Management) Software Quality Assurance 5
B Project Management Training - Has anyone had any experience with on-line training? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
F Project Management book - Seeking advice and recommendations Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2