Project Management Procedure - AS9100 Clause 7.1.1

J

Jo Ann

Hello Everyone,
Revision C of AS9100 includes clause 7.1.1 Project Management. For those of you who are currently registered to Rev B, how do you plan to document this requirement? Will you only include it in your quality manual, or will you have an additional procedure? If you have copies to share, that would be great!

Thank you!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
H

Hodgepodge

Re: 7.1.1 Project management procedure

F.T.W. AS9100C Section 7.1.1:​

“7.1.1 Project Management
As appropriate to the organization and the product, the organization shall plan and manage product realization in a structured and controlled manner to meet requirements at acceptable risk, within resource and schedule constraints.”

IMO, the necessity for another procedure isn’t necessary here. Perhaps for a larger organization that wants to specifically lay out how to rush a job through production, a separate set of guidelines might be helpful. The vague manner of wording seems to indicate that not all projects are created equal.

The first part of 7.1.1, “As appropriate to the organization and the product, the organization shall plan and manage product realization in a structured and controlled manner”, is already a requirement of the rest of section 7. It seems to me that the second part, “to meet requirements at acceptable risk, within resource and schedule constraints”, means that it is understood that sometimes production needs to be rushed, and/or even done using alternate methods. The risk that such circumstances represent should be determined and accepted prior to the start of production. Sometimes your customer calls and says, “I need 3 pieces of part X immediately. I’ll pay whatever it takes” (of course they don’t really mean the part about the paying). I’ve heard them use phrases like, “An engine is waiting in assembly”, and “There's an aircraft on the ground” to let you know how important their request is.

Chances are pretty good your production planning process already has this covered. If not, add something to show how this would be planned, approved, verified, etc. This will help your company stay dynamic, able to act quickly when the customer demands it. Boeing used to have a “Blue Streak” department (it might still today) that was set up to rush emergency jobs through. Perhaps they had a separate procedure to plan how jobs were handled in this department. Smaller companies may not need a separate procedure but if it helps you to keep from tying your hands and be able to act quickly then go ahead and add another procedure.

I think it also means that no company is expected to make 100% good parts 100% of the time. Scrap is expected and should be planned for.

If this isn't the meaning of this clause, then it seems redundant. Hopefully others will share their opinions as well.

RCW

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: 7.1.1 Project management procedure

I agree with what Hodgepodge has written here. It seems like the 'risk / resource / schedule contraints' requirements could have been added directly to 7.1 Planning of Product Realization and conveyed the same meaning.

BUT.....

Then why was it made a specific 'Project Management' clause? Articles I have read call this "additional emphasis on planning and managing product realization activities". To me, and maybe I am wrong, it seems like something additional needs to be done. It also seems that appplying or using ISO 10006 is overkill. If my company spent as much time dealing with Project Management as I perceive it, product would never get out the door.

I am confused! :truce:

barb butrym

I created a process flow diagram that points to a project management template for programs that has the worse case scenario. From that the PM chooses the appropriate steps for his specific project, including design reviews and production readiness reviews. There are sign off forms that detail the worse case scenario for each appropriate step, and again the appropriate ones are chosen, the others excluded....
Whats nice is that it has life cycle management and risk management built in.
The flow chart also points to supporting procedurs and responsibilities.

Our PMs are PMs by experience/education/certification so much detail is not necessary, if we had less experienced PMs there would be more detail and definition.

Last edited:

RCW

Our PMs are PMs by experience/education/certification so much detail is not necessary, if we had less experienced PMs there would be more detail and definition.
Yikes! Dedicated Project Managers and production readiness reviews? Just curious, how big is your company? I keep getting this feeling my company needs to hire 150 - 200 people just to do all the AS9100-related tasks.

When I think of a Project Manager, I picture somebody who is overseeing a major project that takes 6 to 12 months to complete. I'm definitely having problems applying this to jobs I see here that consist of building two small cable assemblies that can be built in one day.

Buckyb

Involved In Discussions
I look at project management as oversight of the planning and product realization process from the beginning of a customer requirement through to delivery and post-delivery. We already have a strong procedure in place that addresses customer requirement, scope, risk and management involvement of that risk. I guess it will be up to the Rev C Auditor to determine if we have met the requirement. I have attached a flow diagram of our process.

Attachments

N

Neil V.

Yikes! Dedicated Project Managers and production readiness reviews? Just curious, how big is your company? I keep getting this feeling my company needs to hire 150 - 200 people just to do all the AS9100-related tasks.

When I think of a Project Manager, I picture somebody who is overseeing a major project that takes 6 to 12 months to complete. I'm definitely having problems applying this to jobs I see here that consist of building two small cable assemblies that can be built in one day.
RCW, sounds like you might be in a situation similar to mine. So if you would indulge me a little, what if instead of two cable assemblies due at the end of day it's 70 unique cable assembly part numbers due at various times over the next five days?

You mentioned company size, so maybe this is too far a stretch. Just an example though of what I think would be increased complexity and thus risk--a situation that might warrant an individual outside the normal day to day to track/monitor progress towards fulfilling the customer order.

My company is currently trying to put our arms around when project management is necessary for us and when it's not -- not to satisfy AS9100 rev C so much as to make sure all the balls are in the air. It's a tricky thing to distinguish between which jobs will be fine running the standard work flow and which need some special attention.

Also, if anyone has a project management work instruction or process flow I'd love to see it.

Thanks!

Neil

L

Lexylou

I too am having difficulty understanding what and how to satisfy this requirement Project Management. The way I see it, I've covered this in Quality Planning. What is the difference between 7.1 and 7.1.1?
We are running out of bodies to do all of this Rev. C, there isn't enough time to get the product made and shipped to our customers. We will be in meetings all day! Isn't Risk Management enough!!!:mad:

Has anyone been audited yet to Rev. C and passed it?

Buckyb

Involved In Discussions
I understand running out of bodies. It is me and the Quality Director. He's directing and I am doing. We are going as fast as we can to get a Rev C Internal Audit done using AS9101D before Oct when our Audit will be scheduled. I don't know about who has passed but one CB put out some interesting info on what their auditors are consistently finding. Here is an excerpt (names removed to protect the innocent):

Failure to Act on Customer Satisfaction Data: The AS9100C standard includes specific information that is to be monitored and used for the evaluation of customer satisfaction data. That information is to include product conformity, on time delivery, customer complaints and corrective action requests. In addition, it requires that organizations develop and implement plans for customer satisfaction improvement that address deficiencies identified by evaluations and assess the effectiveness of the results. Resources for obtaining this information can include supplier rating report cards, survey data, feedback from trip reports or feedback through the OASIS database. It is found that often times, this information is not being reviewed by the top management, that there have been no actions taken to improve performance, and that actions taken have not been evaluated for effectiveness or the actions that have been taken are ineffective.

NOTE: This appears to have been copied from a Quality Digest article. Please visit the link for the entire article.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Project Management Due Diligence Procedure example wanted Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
K Project Management Procedure for compliance to AS EN9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
D Management of Change - MOC Procedure and Forms - Engineering, Project, Safety Systems Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
K Configuration, Risk Analysis and Project Management in one procedure AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
R Electrical contractor Project Quality Management Plan Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
K A proposal for the model Quality Management - I need help for the project ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
qualprod ISO 9001 vs PMBOK (project management) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S Project Management System - What do you currently use? Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
R University Research Project - Management Review Management Review Meetings and related Processes 17
L KPI Project help - Business and Management Degree Benchmarking 4
W Certification on AS9100C - FAI or PPAP? Project Management or APQP? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
A AS9100 Clause 7.1.1 Project Management - Process vs Project. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
A Work Load Evaluation for Project Management Personnel VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 4
R VDA 6.3 - Two Project Management Questions VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 1
P Escalation Process in Project Management Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 10
J APQP Project Management in Excel - Many projects APQP and PPAP 8
J Project Management - "Quality Check" at each phase of a Project ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q Project Management is a Support Process? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
W Project for our Risk Management class - OHSAS 18001 Help Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 6
3 Document Control & Storage - Project Management Organization and Implementation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
N Quality Management vs Project Management - Concept of PRINCE 2 Project Management ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
L Small Project Management Planning Template Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
L PMP Project Management and APQP - Differences APQP and PPAP 9
F Acceptable Risk - 7.1.1 Project Management AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
E Internal Audit for Project Management Team - Construction Industry Internal Auditing 8
J Auditing the Project Management Office ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
S 7.1 Planning of Product Realization vs. 7.1.1 Project Management AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
G Is Design and Development (7.3) applicable to a Project Management Department ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
G Project Management Qualifications Professional Certifications and Degrees 6
E Project Management: PMI vs Six Sigma Six Sigma 2
B AGILE Project Management Process for Product Design Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
D Project Quality Management and FMEA applied to Project Management FMEA and Control Plans 7
A ISO 9001 Project Management and Risk Analysis Requirements - Construction ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
R SOP for Monthly Reports to the Project Manager - Catering and Camp Management Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
O QMS (Quality Management System) in a Project Implementation Organisation Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
S ISO 9001 applied within PRINCE2 Project Management Methodology ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
A ISO 10006:2003 - Quality Management in Projects - Project Management Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 13
P Looking for a Closing Document Template/Sample (Project Management) Six Sigma 3
Stijloor Glossary of Common Project Management Terms Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 0
S Develop and Train Project Management Team in Effective APQP Usage APQP and PPAP 5
S Process Identification - Sub-Processes for Project Management ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
ScottK Can anyone recommend good Project Management Text Books Career and Occupation Discussions 4
S Project Management QMS - Manufacturing and Designing of Special Purposed Machines Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
P What is difference between APQP and Project Management? APQP and PPAP 26
O Six Sigma: Service: Automation & Controls Project Management Six Sigma 1
Marc A Year of Getting Things Done: Reality in Project Management Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2
M Effort estimation guidelines - Software industry (Project Management) Software Quality Assurance 5
B Project Management Training - Has anyone had any experience with on-line training? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
F Project Management book - Seeking advice and recommendations Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2
M Project Management in IT company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2