Project Management - "Quality Check" at each phase of a Project

J

JJ777

Background we are an IT Department within a university that are certified to ISO9001(only IT).

My function is to implement/maintain the standard, implementation done and maintain is basically doing internal audits, assisting staff in drafting there processes/procedures, manage the Corrective/Prevenative Actions, assisting staff on the corrective/prevenative actions(root cause analysis), sending out of the customer surveys, report on survey feedback, act on complaints from our users (Depending on the severity of the problem a Corrective Action will be raised) and uploading of the processes/procedures onto the intranet.

This morning I was called to a meeting where there was a discussion regarding quality in projects. The discussion resolved that there should be a "quality check" at each phase of all the projects to verify that the phase has been done correctly.
My reply was that the quality is built into the respective processes. Starting with the project management office you have your steps that you are doing it is documented we can see the outcomes with the supporting records, the same goes with the requirement analysis this department does have their respective processes also documented and outcomes defined, the same goes with the developers.

How does one do "quality checks"? Shouldn't it be the responsibilty of the respective process owners to verify that the process is functioning 100% and if not take corrective action to "fix" the problem ("quality checks")?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
R

RMain

The Quality Management System ISO 9001:2008 should reflect process controls, via product realization ISO 9001: 2008 section/clause 7.1 and ISO 9001: 2008 section/clause 7.5 Production and Service provision. Quality is usually tasked with control of Non-conforming Product noted during the process controlled via ISO 9001: 2008 section/clause 8.3. Introducing an abundance of inspections at every step is counterproductive and a step back to older versions of ISO Quality Systems it should be the introduction of process controls at Mandatory Control Points (MCP#1, MCP#2 etc?.). Control the Processes and allow Quality to control the Non-conformances i.e. Manufacturing Fallout. My :2cents:

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin

harry

Super Moderator
....................... The discussion resolved that there should be a "quality check" at each phase of all the projects to verify that the phase has been done correctly. ..........................
Generally, there should be a project quality plan in which when to check, what to check , who to check, how to check and others for each of the stages are tabulated. If a service is being provided, then a service quality plan using the same concepts should be there.

A

amit_rd

Every project needs scheduled Quality Audits - This is usually part of the project plan.

Common points to be audited:

1. Status reporting correctly done
2. Are costs, Quality, Time targets met
3. Are there delays? Are appropriate actions in place?
4. Key deliverables of Quality Gate met?
5. Records of all deliverables (e.g. test results) maintained
etc.

Best of luck

K

kgott

Background we are an IT Department within a university that are certified to ISO9001(only IT).

My function is to implement/maintain the standard, implementation done and maintain is basically doing internal audits, assisting staff in drafting there processes/procedures, manage the Corrective/Prevenative Actions, assisting staff on the corrective/prevenative actions(root cause analysis), sending out of the customer surveys, report on survey feedback, act on complaints from our users (Depending on the severity of the problem a Corrective Action will be raised) and uploading of the processes/procedures onto the intranet.

This morning I was called to a meeting where there was a discussion regarding quality in projects. The discussion resolved that there should be a "quality check" at each phase of all the projects to verify that the phase has been done correctly.
My reply was that the quality is built into the respective processes. Starting with the project management office you have your steps that you are doing it is documented we can see the outcomes with the supporting records, the same goes with the requirement analysis this department does have their respective processes also documented and outcomes defined, the same goes with the developers.

How does one do "quality checks"? Shouldn't it be the responsibilty of the respective process owners to verify that the process is functioning 100% and if not take corrective action to "fix" the problem ("quality checks")?

I think many of these sorts of issues go to the heart of quality which is the meaning of the work quality.

What follows is not my own work. I got this from somewhere, (I sincerely hope I haven’t pinched it off a fellow Cover) and I haven’t got a reference for it so my apologies to the author of this expanded explanation of the meaning of the word quality but:

ISO 9000 2006 Quality Management Systems - Fundamentals and Vocabulary defines quality as:

“Degree to which a set of inherent characteristics fulfils requirements”.This on the surface may not say a great deal but if we look deeper into this we find that:

Degree: refers to the level customer satisfaction with a product or service. A product or service may be described as good, bad or indifferent by the customer.
Inherent characteristics: are those product or service features including cost and time that drive customer satisfaction levels up or down.

Requirements: refer to the needs of customer, the organisation and other interested parties and; expectations that may be stated, implied or mandatory.
IMO we may conclude that quality is the degree of customer satisfaction with the goods and or services our organisation supplies with them with.

It may also be worth stating that, IMO, the difference between QA and QC is that QA is about the processes that produce the product and QC is about the product itself.

In addition to this, it may also be useful to remember the words of Deming when he said “Good quality does not necessarily mean high quality. It means a predictable degree of reliability and dependability at a price suited to the market”. W. Edwards Deming. “Out Of The Crisis”, (1986)

So when people are talking about quality checks I’m sure it would be profitable to bear in mind this definition of quality and the difference between quality assurance and quality control.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Electrical contractor Project Quality Management Plan Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
K A proposal for the model Quality Management - I need help for the project ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
N Quality Management vs Project Management - Concept of PRINCE 2 Project Management ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
D Project Quality Management and FMEA applied to Project Management FMEA and Control Plans 7
O QMS (Quality Management System) in a Project Implementation Organisation Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
A ISO 10006:2003 - Quality Management in Projects - Project Management Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 13
D Concept of quality - Establishing both quality and project management methodology Software Quality Assurance 3
qualprod ISO 9001 vs PMBOK (project management) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S Project Management System - What do you currently use? Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
R University Research Project - Management Review Management Review Meetings and related Processes 17
L KPI Project help - Business and Management Degree Benchmarking 4
W Certification on AS9100C - FAI or PPAP? Project Management or APQP? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
A AS9100 Clause 7.1.1 Project Management - Process vs Project. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
A Project Management Due Diligence Procedure example wanted Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
A Work Load Evaluation for Project Management Personnel VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 4
R VDA 6.3 - Two Project Management Questions VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 1
P Escalation Process in Project Management Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 10
J APQP Project Management in Excel - Many projects APQP and PPAP 8
K Project Management Procedure for compliance to AS EN9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Q Project Management is a Support Process? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
W Project for our Risk Management class - OHSAS 18001 Help Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 6
D Management of Change - MOC Procedure and Forms - Engineering, Project, Safety Systems Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
3 Document Control & Storage - Project Management Organization and Implementation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
L Small Project Management Planning Template Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
L PMP Project Management and APQP - Differences APQP and PPAP 9
F Acceptable Risk - 7.1.1 Project Management AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
E Internal Audit for Project Management Team - Construction Industry Internal Auditing 8
J Auditing the Project Management Office ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
S 7.1 Planning of Product Realization vs. 7.1.1 Project Management AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
G Is Design and Development (7.3) applicable to a Project Management Department ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
G Project Management Qualifications Professional Certifications and Degrees 6
E Project Management: PMI vs Six Sigma Six Sigma 2
B AGILE Project Management Process for Product Design Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
A ISO 9001 Project Management and Risk Analysis Requirements - Construction ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
R SOP for Monthly Reports to the Project Manager - Catering and Camp Management Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
J Project Management Procedure - AS9100 Clause 7.1.1 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 15
K Configuration, Risk Analysis and Project Management in one procedure AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
S ISO 9001 applied within PRINCE2 Project Management Methodology ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
P Looking for a Closing Document Template/Sample (Project Management) Six Sigma 3
Stijloor Glossary of Common Project Management Terms Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 0
S Develop and Train Project Management Team in Effective APQP Usage APQP and PPAP 5
S Process Identification - Sub-Processes for Project Management ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
ScottK Can anyone recommend good Project Management Text Books Career and Occupation Discussions 4
S Project Management QMS - Manufacturing and Designing of Special Purposed Machines Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
P What is difference between APQP and Project Management? APQP and PPAP 26
O Six Sigma: Service: Automation & Controls Project Management Six Sigma 1
Marc A Year of Getting Things Done: Reality in Project Management Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2
M Effort estimation guidelines - Software industry (Project Management) Software Quality Assurance 5
B Project Management Training - Has anyone had any experience with on-line training? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
F Project Management book - Seeking advice and recommendations Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2