SBS - The best value in QMS software

Projects in the CAPA system

contigo123

Starting to get Involved
Hello! We would like to start using our CAPA system to track some of our bigger projects, so that we can keep track of due dates, etc.
My question is, for a project such as revising procedures and processes to meet an updated ISO standard, would you consider that a corrective or preventive action? We are an ISO 13485 medical device manufacturer.
Thank you!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
The reason for your dilemma is that you're trying to put a round peg into a square hole. What you need is some form of project management software, be it a dedicated software package or a well-crafted spreadsheet. In my own view, corrective and preventive actions should be kept separate as they are in entirely different categories, but to try and shoehorn project management into the system is entirely inappropriate.

contigo123

Starting to get Involved
The reason for your dilemma is that you're trying to put a round peg into a square hole. What you need is some form of project management software, be it a dedicated software package or a well-crafted spreadsheet. In my own view, corrective and preventive actions should be kept separate as they are in entirely different categories, but to try and shoehorn project management into the system is entirely inappropriate.
Yes, I agree, but we are a small company with limited resources. I can also create a project plan and then execute and document as a report, but I wanted to put it into the QMS somehow. Thanks for the input!

Johnnymo62

Haste Makes Waste
I had a COO that directed a company I used to work for to use an APQP project if we were going to be spending $5000 or more. He wanted to ensure the cross functional team was reviewing the project at every phase. We even used the APQP process to decide and then launch our office upgrades.

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
Trusted Information Resource
You are following your QMS> Likely in your quality manual you state you review regulatory requirements and keep them up to date. These would be routine QMS changes.

Add the item to your quality plan as a task. Open a QMS Change, title it "Updates to QMS documents, forms and procedures to align with ISO XXX," rev all the items with the required changes, review old/new risks and release them. Train, etc. Done. An auditor is not likely to look in your CAPA log to see if you are compliant with the ISO standard; they will start with your Quality Manual and go through your QMS overall.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q New QMS...Old Projects ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Sidney Vianna Providing confidence to lenders of Renewable Energy projects Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 0
L Managing design projects: New Medical Device Project or Change Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
S Outsourced processes how to interact with projects - We are an governmental department with 2 persons ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Q Tracking savings - Long term projects and the day to day decisions Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 5
T ISO 13485: 2016 Internal Audit - Is sampling on projects allowed? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
B Ranking Continual Improvement Projects Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
K Is APQP Required for All Projects? APQP and PPAP 4
S Document Control Guidelines in Engineering Projects - Excel sheets with VBA coding Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
K Looking for Six Sigma Black Belt projects in Customer Service Six Sigma 7
Z Repository of In-House Improvement Projects - Engineering Service Provider Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
P Bad communication in construction projects are probably the biggest generators Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
M Problem Solving: JDI (just do it) vs. A3 vs PDCA Projects Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
A 6 Sigma: Could you share some practical examples of 6 Sigma Projects in your company? Six Sigma 3
J APQP Project Management in Excel - Many projects APQP and PPAP 8
M ISO 9001 Construction Registration without Current Projects ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
L How to Document Continuous Improvement Projects Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
Q Where is Change of Scope Addressed in Projects? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Y Improvement Projects and Quality Plan (Examples and Advice needed) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
F Who manages QI projects? Quality or PMO? Managing Six Sigma and Lean Projects Six Sigma 2
T Pilot's Checklist for Six Sigma - Steps to Consider when Initiating Projects Six Sigma 3
Sidney Vianna How do philanthropic foundations ensure their projects are properly managed? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
P Software Quality Assurance - Projects developed without a Contract Software Quality Assurance 10
J Definition Activity vs. Task - Definitions in Process Mapping and Projects Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 9
V How to Calculate the Actual Productivity for Projects? Software Quality Assurance 2
R Online Pharma Regulatory Affairs (RA) related projects Career and Occupation Discussions 3
Q Can Agile Methodology Principles be used for CA/PA/CI projects? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 6
U Non Conformance - Root Cause & Corrective Actions - Civil Construction Projects ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
G Change of procedure for handling new projects - do the ongoing ones need to follow? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
P Anyone seen Metrology Improvements (P/T, GR&R) as Six Sigma Projects? Six Sigma 3
J Large Projects, large number of partners? Document Numbering/Identifying Issues Benchmarking 6
C Document Control for External and Internal Projects (overseas projects) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Y The 3 Biggest Obstacles You Faced when you start to apply improvement projects Six Sigma 24
S Construction Projects - Client & contractor - System compatibility issues Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
S ISO 9001: 2000 - Internal Audit Checklist for Software Projects Internal Auditing 9
I Can Change Control be used to Control Major Infrastructural Projects? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Sidney Vianna New ISO standard projects will facilitate recall of unsafe products Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
G Black Belt vs Green Belt projects Six Sigma 3
A ISO 10006:2003 - Quality Management in Projects - Project Management Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 13
M Calculation of Attrition and Attrition Control / Staff Retention Projects. Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 11
S Motivating Factors for Six Sigma Participants Working on Projects? Six Sigma 11
A FMEA in software projects FMEA and Control Plans 6
Ajit Basrur Lean / Six Sigma Technical or Administrative Projects for Microbiology Laboratory Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
T Environmental Savings Projects for 2007 - Ideas and Examples? Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 1
G Requirement for specified agendas and meeting minutes when documenting projects? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
C Examples of successful 5S projects - Introducing 5S on the shopfloor and the offices Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
ScottK Lean Projects for my home - Teaching my family the principles of 5s Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 60
M What ISO 9001 or other standards say about R&D projects in IT Development Firm ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
J Lean Projects from Quality Department - Visual factory Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
F 4.2.3 Control of Documents - Such as b/p for fixturing or projects for improvement Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6