Proof of distribution - FedEx/UPS tracking numbers

MamaDove

Registered
Hi,
I'm wondering if medical device companies keep FedEx/UPS tracking numbers in their ERP systems?
We currently maintain them hardcopy and we are moving to a more robust ERP system and according to regulations, we wouldn't have to have these numbers as long as we have a pack list and invoice to show we shipped the product, to who, quantity and lot number.
Is it best practice to document the FedEx/UPS tracking number? I can see that it would be helpful on the Commercial part of the business, but I'm not finding anything that says it is required to keep a record of the tracking number.

Trying to clear this up for our ERP implementation.

Thanks!!

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Howdy,

I can't answer to medical...but both UPS and FedEx software are databases that can be queried for proof of label printing (with tracking number).
Matching to your packing list is up to you...

I do not know of a way to automate queries regarding anything after label print...just because the label was printed and tracking# assigned does not mean that the package left the site...
You can track delivery status online, but I do not know of a way to automate an import to your ERP from the site.

HTH

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
Leader
Super Moderator
Not sure I understand the question but for traceability we incorporated paid invoices. Customers will not pay invoices unless they received and assumed control the material.

Top Bottom