Proper gauging of tight tolerance (reamed) holes

IRONPOORER

Starting to get Involved
I have an order for a large number of castings that need to have a through hole reamed to .2505"--.2510" and need a simple but effective means of gauging these holes.

As you cannot put the same size pin/plug guage into the same sized hole how do I guage these and not give up any of my tolerance?

If I use a a fudge factor of .0002 under (to be able to put the pin into the hole) .2503" deltronic pin as my "GO" and .2512" NO-GO?

What about taking an exact size Deltronic pin and gring a flat (.020") on two sides?

I wish I had air guages but do not, and I really need something my operators/inspectors can use as a quick check at the machine.

Thanks in advance

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
What about a dial bore gage with a .0001 indicator (this one has a .0005). This way you can also check for roundness.

I just found an image on Google. I have no idea if the company in the link is good or not (just using the pictures).

on a separate note, if the job allows for it, I would get a dedicated ring gage to set the dial bore gage. Setting a dial bore with a micrometer is a little more difficult and allows for some easy errors.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
For a tolerance you describe I would favor a bore gage such as Fowler sells (I have no affiliation) with a 0.00001" resolution. See pages 154 and 155 etc. of the Fowler Catalog.

Just use a telescoping gage and 1" outside mic.
That way you don't have to buy any expensive tools.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Proper Gauging - GD&T - Attribute gage to check true positioning on the shop floor Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
M What is the proper way to document measurements Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
M Proper way to develop LCL when only given a lower spec limit Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 7
K Proper document of SMPS used in infant warmer for IEC 60601-1 testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
L How to write a proper defect description in a NCR Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
M Proper method to test flow of a regulator Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
M Proper terms for describing Hardness General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
M Proper ISO standard for Pressure Testing and Leak Rates Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
C Proper Thickness Gauge for Foam/Felt and Soft Materials General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
D Proper Tool to Measure Wall Thickness (ISO 3611 - Micrometers) Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
x-files Proper Document Control Requests Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
S Proper Record/Document Manipulation Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
kedarg6500 Selection of proper modifying agent for Aluminium Silicon Alloy Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
J Proper Amount of Data Points for Cpk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 12
K Proper YTD PPM Supplier Calculation Six Sigma 3
S Proper FDA Classification for a DICOM Viewer 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 29
E Measuring Parts without Proper Tools - Measurement Device Resolution Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
J Proper Method of Measuring Hex Socket Heads Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
B Getting the proper information from the supplier - Returning Nonconforming Material Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
G What is the proper Thanks Giving turkey sampling size? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 9
B How to Determine the Proper Solder Class Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
S What is the proper flow to feedback the defective found during QA sampling check? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 8
M Proper Format for a Manufacturing Route Sheet Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
K Putting a regulated device on the market without the proper ISO Certs and CE Marking EU Medical Device Regulations 9
L Proper Personnel Ratio - Quality to Manufacturing Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
M ISO14001 nonconformance - no proper treatment of wastewater prior to discharge ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 6
A What is the proper definition for Class 1 & 2 design changes AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
C Proper GD&T for spindle & housing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
A Proper term for 'Easy Identification'? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M How to implement a proper Calibration System? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
F Is there a proper protocol to follow for Self Certification? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
B True Position without tertiary datum? Establishing a proper rotation Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 12
J Proper way to calibrate a check fixture General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
G Proper Poundage for Checking XX Tolerance Plain Plug Gages? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Gert Sorensen Labeling Responsibility - Manufacturer vs. Repacker? Proper Component Use ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
L Procedure for proper use and protection of Registration and Accreditation Marks Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 21
C What is the proper method for cleaning dial calipers? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
N Proper use of the Blueing process when inspecting the taper of bushings General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
J Proper use of gauge pins - Inspecting thru holes of plastic parts General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 19
I What is the proper date to use as effective date? Old 'procedures', New documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
D Rockwell vs. Vickers vs. Knoop - Does Thickness Determine the Proper Test? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M What is the proper way to use a GO NO/GO guage? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
B Preventive and Corrective Action Mapping - Proper Sequencing ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
T Registered or Certified - What is the proper terminology? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 17
B Narrow limit gauging Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
M NPT thread gauging and the "rapping" process Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
I 3 legged 5 Why - Hole diameter Oversize caused by Gauging Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
A Setting air gauging outside of a part tolerance Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
J Press Brake Tooling / Back Gauging - Holes for the back stop instead of the Part Edge Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
A Gauging method comparison - Air Gage vs. CMM Measurement General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9