Proper Tool to Measure Wall Thickness (ISO 3611 - Micrometers)

D

Dallen378

Trying to settle an internal debate here at my company. We are an aluminum extrusion company, and without having purchased the standard for ISO 3611:2010 regarding micrometers for external measurements, there is some debate as to the proper mic to be used to measure a flat wall.

Myself and another gentleman believe a ball-mic to be the most accurate as it will detect high or low spots in wall thickness that have tight tolerances.

2 other gentlemen (who both came from the same company prior to ours) believe it to be a flat-mic.

Now we deal with wall thickness tolerances of +/- .001 regularly, but that isn't necessary for the argument.

So would just like a little feedback from the forum. And perhaps if anyone has knowledge of the spec 3611:2010 and what it may state.

I am new to the forum and am excited at how much I have already discovered from reading so many threads that are relevant to my needs!!

Thanks in advance

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
A ball micrometer will give a spot reading while a flat one will indicate the maximum over its face surface. Hence a flat one will always show an equal or greater result, if applied to the same place. Which one to pick depends on what you're trying to establish.

Sorry but I don't know ISO 3611.

David-D

Involved In Discussions
Application is going to have a big effect on which you want to use.

If what you are measuring is the outside diameter of the entire tube, then I would lean towards the flat face micrometer as I'd expect it to more readily be able to be placed correctly and kept perpendicular to the axis of the tube. if you actually are looking to measure the wall thickness, you really need to have a curved anvil to touche the inside wall, otherwise the curvature of the concave surface will not properly contact a flat anvil and youll get a measurement which is slightly too large.

David

D

Dallen378

Application is going to have a big effect on which you want to use.

If what you are measuring is the outside diameter of the entire tube, then I would lean towards the flat face micrometer as I'd expect it to more readily be able to be placed correctly and kept perpendicular to the axis of the tube. if you actually are looking to measure the wall thickness, you really need to have a curved anvil to touche the inside wall, otherwise the curvature of the concave surface will not properly contact a flat anvil and youll get a measurement which is slightly too large.

David
The ball-mic is what myself and my die shop supervisor agreed was the proper tool. For this exact reason. Still would be interested to see what the ISO 3611 standard says. If we end up purchasing for our records, I will come back and share what it says.

A

AeroSteve

I can see benifits to both, the ball mic will always give the lower reading, however, I can imagine a sennario where the corner of the wall is not clean and square (due to example wear in the die) in which case, the flat mic would be better at identifying this problem. So, my vote would be actually be to use (or to at least have available) both micrometers. Good luck!

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
The best tool that I have found for measuring wall thickness in small diameter tubing is a uni-mic (http://www.all-spec.com/Catalog/Tes...17-107-65737?gclid=CKm517vngtECFQOAaQodD5kHRw)
The anvil of the mic can hold a gauge pin, so that you get a single point of contact on the inner wall of the tube, while the flat anvil of the opposite side ensures you get the maximum point-to-point measurement. Since the gauge pin can be removed, the mic is very versatile.
If you are making 'large' tube then a double-ball (or possibly even a single ball) micrometer might also be appropriate.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Proper way to develop LCL when only given a lower spec limit Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 7
K Proper document of SMPS used in infant warmer for IEC 60601-1 testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
L How to write a proper defect description in a NCR Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
M Proper method to test flow of a regulator Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
M Proper terms for describing Hardness General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
M Proper ISO standard for Pressure Testing and Leak Rates Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
C Proper Thickness Gauge for Foam/Felt and Soft Materials General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
X Proper Document Control Requests Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
M Proper Gauging - GD&T - Attribute gage to check true positioning on the shop floor Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
S Proper Record/Document Manipulation Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
I Proper gauging of tight tolerance (reamed) holes General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
kedarg6500 Selection of proper modifying agent for Aluminium Silicon Alloy Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
J Proper Amount of Data Points for Cpk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 12
K Proper YTD PPM Supplier Calculation Six Sigma 3
S Proper FDA Classification for a DICOM Viewer 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 29
E Measuring Parts without Proper Tools - Measurement Device Resolution Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
J Proper Method of Measuring Hex Socket Heads Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
B Getting the proper information from the supplier - Returning Nonconforming Material Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
G What is the proper Thanks Giving turkey sampling size? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 9
B How to Determine the Proper Solder Class Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
S What is the proper flow to feedback the defective found during QA sampling check? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 8
M Proper Format for a Manufacturing Route Sheet Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
K Putting a regulated device on the market without the proper ISO Certs and CE Marking EU Medical Device Regulations 9
L Proper Personnel Ratio - Quality to Manufacturing Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
M ISO14001 nonconformance - no proper treatment of wastewater prior to discharge ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 6
A What is the proper definition for Class 1 & 2 design changes AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
C Proper GD&T for spindle & housing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
A Proper term for 'Easy Identification'? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M How to implement a proper Calibration System? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
F Is there a proper protocol to follow for Self Certification? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
B True Position without tertiary datum? Establishing a proper rotation Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 12
J Proper way to calibrate a check fixture General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
G Proper Poundage for Checking XX Tolerance Plain Plug Gages? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Gert Sorensen Labeling Responsibility - Manufacturer vs. Repacker? Proper Component Use ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
L Procedure for proper use and protection of Registration and Accreditation Marks Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 21
C What is the proper method for cleaning dial calipers? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
N Proper use of the Blueing process when inspecting the taper of bushings General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
J Proper use of gauge pins - Inspecting thru holes of plastic parts General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 19
I What is the proper date to use as effective date? Old 'procedures', New documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
D Rockwell vs. Vickers vs. Knoop - Does Thickness Determine the Proper Test? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M What is the proper way to use a GO NO/GO guage? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
B Preventive and Corrective Action Mapping - Proper Sequencing ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
T Registered or Certified - What is the proper terminology? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 17
G APQP Scope and scale tool APQP and PPAP 2
B FAR/Prime Contractor Flow-down Tool - AS9100 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
R Does any here use an internal auditing tool that works on different platforms? Internal Auditing 3
O Dimension Measurement Tool Recommendation General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 21
Y Commanded life cycle management tool IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
GreatNate Excel PPAP Tracking templates or tool wanted APQP and PPAP 1
E Standards Management Tool Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1