Properly referencing ISO standards

JasnahKholin

Starting to get Involved
My company recently got a NC from a 3rd party audit due to the fact that we do not reference the year of the ISO standards we are certified to on our externally facing website as well as our internally facing documents. The auditor pointed to the bottom of this page on the ISO website ISO name and logo as the standard that needs to be followed.

The funny thing is, that we had previously had 3rd party consultants tell us that we should remove all of the dates from where we reference ISO standards to avoid issues when the standards are inevitably updated.

Has anyone else encountered something like this from auditors?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

geoffairey

Involved In Discussions
My company recently got a NC from a 3rd party audit due to the fact that we do not reference the year of the ISO standards we are certified to on our externally facing website as well as our internally facing documents. The auditor pointed to the bottom of this page on the ISO website ISO name and logo as the standard that needs to be followed.

The funny thing is, that we had previously had 3rd party consultants tell us that we should remove all of the dates from where we reference ISO standards to avoid issues when the standards are inevitably updated.

Has anyone else encountered something like this from auditors?
I’d 100% challenge this as this with the Certification Body (CB) as it’s not a failure to comply with the standards in question (There’s no wording in ISO standards requiring this that I’m aware of)
Best practice would suggest that you include the year certified against, but again, that’s not a non conformity.
The only thing where I could see this, is if it’s a requirement of your contract with the CB, this is why many CBs provide graphics for your website. But again, this isn’t a non conformity.

JasnahKholin

Starting to get Involved
We have reached out to ISO directly to get clarification on this as well, mostly because we do want to be sure everything externally facing is compliant, but no idea if they will even respond.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Wow. You might want to consider never using that third party auditor ever again.
They should consider asking for money back from the CB. If this is the type of nonconformity the auditor can come up with, they are really useless. I would love to see the NC statement, specially the reference to the requirement being violated. Asinine auditing.

Depending on your home country, if you know the auditor’s credential #, I’d complain to them that the auditor is not competent per ISO 19011.

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
If that is the level that the auditor has to dig down to to find a 'nonconformance' then you are obviously doing an excellent job of maintaining your QMS.
With that being said, the auditor is (IMHO) completely wrong. I am not aware of ANY requirement to include a reference to the revision date of the standard ANYWHERE, much less on your website. I agree with the other recommendations made here to appeal this, and to contact your 3rd party and discuss further with them.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
We have reached out to ISO directly to get clarification on this as well, mostly because we do want to be sure everything externally facing is compliant, but no idea if they will even respond.
Even if ISO says that you should follow their guidelines in this regard it doesn't mean that it's a legitimate audit NC. Ask the auditor where this is referenced in ISO 9001.

Johnnymo62

Haste Makes Waste
I read this paragraph from the ISO 9001:2015 standard as requiring a legal copy of a standard available. "Documented information of external origin determined by the organization to be necessary for the planning and operation of the quality management system shall be identified as appropriate, and be controlled.

Also, I think because ISO owns the legal rights to the names and logos, we are required to use them as specified by ISO.

Therefore, I think the finding is a legitimate issue. But I don't think it's worthy on an NC because of the OP's earlier guidance.

Personally, I would never leave the revision date in doubt anywhere it's called out.

But that's just me...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D How to properly measure serrations on hardware Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 11
N How do you properly seal gauges for storage? Calibration Frequency (Interval) 4
O Is it mandatory for Medical Devices to work properly after dielectric strength tests? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
R How to properly use Survival Analysis to predict time to machine failure Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
A Federal 700B-26 Gage Block Comparator is not reading properly General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
J Properly understanding SPC - Newbie SPC questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 34
M Help with SCAR - Not all sub-assemblies had properly received a First Article Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion IAF CertSearch Database - Repository of "properly" Accredited Management System Certs ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 90
drgnrider Calibration Schedule (Frequency) not properly reflected on Laboratory Paperwork Calibration Frequency (Interval) 7
E How to Properly Apply Linearity - How does it "Fit"? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
J Aerospace Parts not Evaluated Properly by Trained Person AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
Sidney Vianna How do philanthropic foundations ensure their projects are properly managed? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
M Paperwork not Properly Filled Out and Signed Off Internal Auditing 9
Stijloor The Government can not print money properly... World News 8
E Control of Outsourced Processes (not properly described in the quality manual) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 44
S How to show that policies are properly communicated & Training Effectiveness ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
G How to properly check British Standard threads? 3-wire method and a supermic General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 39
M How to Properly Calibrate a Bore Gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 19
K Training package to help train operators how to use a measuring devices properly General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
P U-chart Sanity/File Review - Is the chart constructed properly? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
C Who is responsible? Checking if the documents are properly in order ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
M I have a feeling that my talent is not utilised properly Career and Occupation Discussions 11
S Referencing quote on PO AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
M Referencing Harmonised Standards in Declarations of Conformity EU Medical Device Regulations 10
M Referencing the MDR by name in QMS SOPs EU Medical Device Regulations 2
J Referencing Medical Device in FDA records - Package contains several other components Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
M Informational EC – Guide for referencing standards in public procurement in Europe (JIS Action 11) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
N Referencing of a standard's year in routine regulatory compliance documents Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
B Referencing to Supplier Outputs within our Document Control System 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
M Referencing ISO 9001:2015 clause for Audit General Auditing Discussions 10
S Referencing International Standards as Design Input Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
D Referencing Standards in Procedures - Current version or actual? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
S Referencing procedures on Control Plans - Best Practices FMEA and Control Plans 3
P Question on First Article Inspection referencing ISO 2768 APQP and PPAP 1
J Referencing the DMR (Design Master Record) in the PO Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
Q Referencing EN 63204:2006 instead of EN 62304:2006 AC:2008 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 9
Q Referencing a Specification in a Work Instruction as a ?Guidance Document? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Crusader 7.6 Calibration (referencing outsourcing) in the Quality Manual Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 5
M Referencing Standards in Engineering and Regulatory Documents Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
R Para 4.2.2 b) Referenced Documents - Adequate referencing? Copy and Paste? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
S Referencing other documents in Control Plans Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
P Referencing of Forms in Procedures ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M Referencing the Regulation in a Design Specification 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
C Referencing or Using a Master Part to take Measurements Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
R Referencing and Controlling Labels & Stickers used internally throughout Production Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
Q AS9100 and NADCAP - Our QM was told that referencing IPC 620 was acceptable AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
S Referencing somebody else?s CE Mark and NB Number on an Instruction Leaflet? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
N Cross-Referencing ISO 9001/ISO 14001/OHSAS 18001 Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 17
K Question about referencing software - Database Records Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
L Surveillance Audit - NC for not referencing requirement of Cl 6.4 in audit plan ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14