Pros and Cons of Duplicating Documents & Records

Q

qualeety

There is a construction company whether most of work is performed on various construction sites (eg trailers) Due to a flooding in one trailer, we lost/damaged our original documents/records.

As a preventative measure, we want to duplicate everything deemed important and keep them in our head office. Of course, there are resistance due additional work/cost, what needs to be duplicated and other zillion excuses.

One section wants the duplication everyday; other section wants it monthly.

Right now, I am sitting on a fence. I think it is a good idea but i worry about cost and "what are the risk of another floor/fire/theft/vendalism".

By law, we have to maintain our documents/records for 7 years after the completion of the construction and currently we archive them at the end of the construction via "another company".

Is there a way of doing this without duplicating? Or is there an easy way of duplicating? (note: scanning the documents and keeping e-files are not an option of us)

Thanks in advance

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
I have to ask why electronic capture is not an option.

Other than that I would say - only bring stamped copies to the job site and keep originals at the home office. Aren't the documents generated at the home office?

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
I see no solution here.
Duplication implies two options: hard copies or electronic file. If you cannot pursue the second option (why ? is it a choice or requirement?) , you can only to make copies and mantain them in separate location.

Pls. let us know if we have well understood the issue, eventually giving additional details.

There is a construction company whether most of work is performed on various construction sites (eg trailers) Due to a flooding in one trailer, we lost/damaged our original documents/records.

As a preventative measure, we want to duplicate everything deemed important and keep them in our head office. Of course, there are resistance due additional work/cost, what needs to be duplicated and other zillion excuses.

One section wants the duplication everyday; other section wants it monthly.

Right now, I am sitting on a fence. I think it is a good idea but i worry about cost and "what are the risk of another floor/fire/theft/vendalism".

By law, we have to maintain our documents/records for 7 years after the completion of the construction and currently we archive them at the end of the construction via "another company".

Is there a way of doing this without duplicating? Or is there an easy way of duplicating? (note: scanning the documents and keeping e-files are not an option of us)

Thanks in advance

D

DeviceMaker

How about an "emergency plan" that consists of daily faxing of all records at site to HQ. Those are put in a box, filed by day. If the original records are not destroyed, the original records are used/stored/ etc... and the faxed copies are destroyed. If the originals are lost, then the faxed copied get "elevated" in status to be used as the records.

J

Jason PCSwitches

How about this helpful invention called a computer. If management is reluctant to spend a few bucks on a system, let them know this technology has been around for a few years and companies are finding it useful. :sarcasm:

D

DrM2u

There are fire and waterproof storage units (filing cabinets) available on the market. The only trick is to have the discipline to store everything as necessary to prevent accidental losses. On the other hand, one of these units are about the price of a good PC, if not more. What is the information worth to you?!?

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
There are fire and waterproof storage units (filing cabinets) available on the market. The only trick is to have the discipline to store everything as necessary to prevent accidental losses. On the other hand, one of these units are about the price of a good PC, if not more. What is the information worth to you?!?

Excellent point! :agree1:

I usually clarify this by stating that a hard drive is cheaper than a filing cabinet..:D Plus takes up less space..

Stijloor.

L

lgoeke

I am in favor of electronic, however if that isn't an option I do have a concern.

Are these documents ever revised?

If so and you choose to only update HQ monthly there is a possibility that revisions may be made to the documents at the sites and then if something were to happen to one of the sites HQ would not have the most up to date document.

Wouldn't this be a problem?

Q

qualeety

thanks to those replied....I guess there is no magic bullet for my quandary...sigh

for your info

we do have water-proof/fire-resistan filing cabinets

i don't want to discuss my IT dept.....:mad:....at least, not in public

and yes, we are duplicating records.

G

Groo3

how about getting a trailer that floats? and is certified waterproof? :notme: (sorry, I couldn't resist)

Seriously though... If you are using a paper-based document control system, then duplicating the documents is a necessary evil. When we used to use a paper-based document control process, we would photocopy the signed / approved documents and stamp each page with a "Controlled Copy" stamp (we later adopted the practice of just stamping the first page) and sending to the controlled distribution, the original signed copy stayed with the controlling department / site.

The volume of the paperwork, the frequency of revisions, and the severity of the change can all play a part in determining how frequently to update your documents for the construction / job trailer.
  • If lives depend on the change taking place immediately, once a day may not be often enough to communicate the change / revision.
  • If changes occur infrequently, and are not going to affect the safety of people, then once a month may be adequate.
That's my 2 cents :2cents:

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom