Proving REACH/RoHS status for electronics components from Digikey/Mouser

zork_14

Starting to get Involved
Hi,

1. How do you check the REACH compliance of 100 different Digikey/Mouser items for which the online product page does not say anything about REACH? Is it done by:
a. sending your BoM to Digikey/Mouser and ask for compliance status
b. or checking one by one the compliance status with all original manufacturers?

2. Is the RoHS/REACH compliance status on the Digikey/Mouser product webpage sufficient to prove compliance? I recently asked a similar question for McMaster, but for most McMaster products, McMaster looks to us customers as if they were the original manufacturer. My understanding of EN50581:2012 is that we can either use
- a Certificate of Conformity by the seller: original manufacturer or not
- or a datasheet or web page listing: but this must come from the original manufacturer

In this case here for Digikey/Mouser, the original manufacturer is explicitly mentioned, hence the question: is the webpage RoHS/REACH good enough when the original manufacturer is mentioned?

Thanks for any hint

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Tagin

Trusted Information Resource
For Digikey, in the products details, some have the manufacturer's compliance PDFs available for RoHS and maybe REACH. But other product does not. I think Mouser is the same way.

In those cases where the declarations are not on the website, you should go back to manufacturer of that component and find/request the declarations from them or their website.

zork_14

Starting to get Involved
Thanks @Tagin for your answer. I'm writing questions in red below.

For Digikey, in the products details, some have the manufacturer's compliance PDFs available for RoHS and maybe REACH. But other product does not. I think Mouser is the same way.
OK (option 1.b. from my post then).

In those cases where the declarations are not on the website, you should go back to manufacturer of that component and find/request the declarations from them or their website.
OK, but there is an in-between: is the Digikey panel on the webpage enough to prove that it is RoHS compliant?

Let's take the example of product DF1B-2428SC from Digikey:

1622068828940.png

The panel says it is RoHS compliant and REACH Unaffected. Is this screenshot good enough?

If not, then I download the datasheet, and on page 25 I see that it is RoHS. It is the datasheet from the original manufacturer so it is valid documentation. Do I have to save this 36-page datasheet pdf file in my technical file, or should I be saving instead a screenshot like the one pasted below?

1622068952903.png

The datasheet does not tell the REACH status. So I made a google search, and I found that the Mouser website gives the REACH declaration for this component. I would then save this 1-page .pdf in my technical file.

I have a hard time accepting that I have to do these tedious steps for every single of my 100+ components. This one was easy because I rapidly found the documents. Otherwise, I would have had to contact the supplier, who may or may not reply with the requested certificate. Using the Digikey screenshot would already be a relief.

1622072506460.png

Tagin

What is 'required' will be determined by who is making those requirements. In our case, the customers ask for detailed information, so a distributor website claim is not enough - we need to get the detailed declaration from the manufacturer, whether that is located on the disti's site or if we have to back to the mfr. We have to do it on everything, including labels, zipties, packaging, screws, adhesives, etc.

zork_14

Starting to get Involved
Thanks again @Tagin.

What is 'required' will be determined by who is making those requirements.
I'm selling a sort of 3D printer to end users, about 5 products/year, and I'm convinced that my customers will never ask for such details. I believe that the only people who could request my technical file would be customs or compliance enforcing authorities, and I believe that such a request with such low volumes it is going to be very unlikely. I'm inclined to hope that screenshots from big suppliers like Mouser/Digikey would be enough. I'd be happy to hear whether that's OK in this case.

In our case, the customers ask for detailed information, so a distributor website claim is not enough
We have to do it on everything, including labels, zipties, packaging, screws, adhesives, etc.
Ah yes, in your case I understand the requirement for solid compliance evidence from the manufacturer.

zork_14

Starting to get Involved
I think I just found a convenient way to get RoHS/REACH/MDS certificates from Digikey: they have a dedicated tool where we can provide part numbers and they provide the requested documentation. I still cannot paste links here but it can be easily found online.

1622128946821.png

Tagin

I think I just found a convenient way to get RoHS/REACH/MDS certificates from Digikey...
That reminded me - I think that we could request declarations from McMaster, but -only- after we had ordered the product. So, we had to use their website claim to order it, and then later get the detailed document. Seems a bit bizarre, but I guess they didn't want to get inundated with people using them as a resource but not actually buying from them.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
That reminded me - I think that we could request declarations from McMaster, but -only- after we had ordered the product. So, we had to use their website claim to order it, and then later get the detailed document. Seems a bit bizarre, but I guess they didn't want to get inundated with people using them as a resource but not actually buying from them.
Seems a bit bizarre,
As one who is inundated daily with requests from people who don't buy anything from me...it isn't bizarre at all, its a minor application of "skin in the game" or "put up or shut up".
I could easily spend 20hrs a week providing free information to people buying from my competitors instead of running a for profit corporation...not very cost effective. They ask me because my competition has exceptionally lousy customer service...but lower prices.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Proving Substantial Equivalence in Software Medical Devices Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
S Proving Process Capability of a Packing Machine Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
C Sewage Discharge Consents - Proving within Limits ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 7
N Proving a Medical Device is equivalent to another device from Literature Review EU Medical Device Regulations 4
T Uncertainty of Proving Rings Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
M Need Advice About Proving the Value of ASQ Certification Professional Certifications and Degrees 8
A Provision of Resources - Proving resources to address Customer Satisfaction - 6.1 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
Z REACH: contradictory statement from supplier? REACH and RoHS Conversations 4
L REACH compliance with MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M REACH assessment of PCBA/finished product REACH and RoHS Conversations 2
leftoverture REACH - Poll REACH and RoHS Conversations 2
Z REACH compliance for low volume product REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
Z Data sheet from McMasterCarr enough for RoHS/REACH documentation? REACH and RoHS Conversations 4
C REACH Annex XVII vs XIV RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
T How should I approach REACH, CM, etc. as a job shop? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 18
S Reporting REACH - Electronic components distributor REACH and RoHS Conversations 5
M Find updates to REACH and Rohs regulations REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
T Training recommendations? Bringing our RoHS and REACH compliance efforts in-house REACH and RoHS Conversations 2
F Change to Formulation due to Reach (China Medical Device Regulations) China Medical Device Regulations 0
C Difficulties getting RoHS/REACH for cheap parts RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
P How far an operator can reach into a machine before it becomes an ergonomic problem CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
M EU – REACH Authorisation Decisions List REACH and RoHS Conversations 0
M EU – Chemical Safety Report – CSR – REACH Authorisation decisions – Triton X-100 – Ortho-clinical-Use1 REACH and RoHS Conversations 0
Nicole Desouza Who has to be compliant with REACH Declarations? REACH and RoHS Conversations 11
J Where can I find the latest update to Reach and ROHS? REACH and RoHS Conversations 9
padraick63 REACH and ROHS Requirement for a Molded Part REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
R Certificate of compliance to RoHS/REACH/WEEE - any such animal? REACH and RoHS Conversations 18
T MSDS Language Requirements for Reach Purposes REACH and RoHS Conversations 3
S IMDS=REACH for automotive industry? REACH and RoHS Conversations 3
leftoverture REACH Compliance - Small, family-owned contract manufacturer REACH and RoHS Conversations 16
R REACH and ROHS compliance for hundreds of parts made over 25 years REACH and RoHS Conversations 3
P REACH - BOMcheck.net - What I can expect from this service? REACH and RoHS Conversations 0
P REACH - A few of the hundreds components in my product no longer meet requirement REACH and RoHS Conversations 2
C SVHC Lead - Communicate in the supply chain under Article 33 of the REACH Regulation REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
D How do I show compliance to RoHS, REACH and Conflict Minerals? REACH and RoHS Conversations 6
J RoHS, WEEE and REACH Consulting Expertise Needed REACH and RoHS Conversations 4
P Necessary Compliance Documentation for RoHS and REACH REACH and RoHS Conversations 5
M ROHS & REACH in TEFLON Material - NABL Testing Laboratories REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
N Taking exception to REACH Requirement - Appropriate Language REACH and RoHS Conversations 4
H REACH Registration Requirements - Who is required to Register REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
dubrizo Who handles Your Reach, RoHS, 3TG Compliance RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 9
smryan Compliance Officer Outsourcing? RoHS, REACH, ELV, GADSL, IECSC Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
R How to demonstrate REACH Compliance RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
N How do I demonstrate REACH compliance ? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
M Medical devices are CE mark but not sold in EU - Need to comply with REACH? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 9
Q REACH due dilligence and meeting the ever moving SVHC target RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 5
L IOS-MAT-0010 vs REACH/ROHS RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
P Law restrictions in each country [REACH, CONFLICT MINERALS, Canada Gazette] RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
W REACH - Candidate List Substance vs. Authorisation List Substance in EEE RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
E IFU Changes - How it is ensured that IFU changes reach Surgeons EU Medical Device Regulations 4