PSUR - MDR First Submission Requirement?

Steve M

Starting to get Involved
Hi everyone,

I was talking to a regulatory consultant earlier today and we brushed on the topic of the PSUR. She informed me that she had been advised that the PSUR isn't required for your first submission for the MDR and the CER will cover the data you would need as part of the PSUR. You will need to carry out the PSUR thereafter to be compliant, of course.

Is this assertion correct or do you still need a PSUR with your first submission of the technical file under MDR?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
That makes sense. For submission, you have confirmed, to the best of your knowledge (and have objective evidence) that the device is appropriately safe. The 'U' in PSUR *is* update, requiring field data to assess safety.

renenatasha

Involved In Discussions
Hi everyone,

I was talking to a regulatory consultant earlier today and we brushed on the topic of the PSUR. She informed me that she had been advised that the PSUR isn't required for your first submission for the MDR and the CER will cover the data you would need as part of the PSUR. You will need to carry out the PSUR thereafter to be compliant, of course.

Is this assertion correct or do you still need a PSUR with your first submission of the technical file under MDR?
Yes, our NB informed that for initial submission, they'll be looking for a PMS Plan. PMR or PSUR comes later.

Hello, just read this interesting post.
I have a question:
After 26 May 2021: until when you can avoid submission of PSUR (and SSCP for class III)?
In other way.
For class IIa the update is every two years, for IIb and III annually.
When does the clock start for submission? Could be from 26 May 2021?--> At May 2022 the NBs will be inundated with PSURs..

Many thanks for your attention!

Raisin picker

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi Marc,
You cannot avoid the SSCP (for devices that require it). You need to include it with the initial submission.

Regarding PSUR: I have the impression that the NBs are still a bit lenient. To date, the planned MDCG document on PSUR is not published, I think it is now announced for Q4/2021. Until then, neither do manufacturers know what to include, nor NBs what to assess.

Regarding clock start: It does start with initial submission for MDR. For legacy devices, discussion is still if the PSUR is required at all. If so, the clock started this May. If not, the clock does not start.

Remember to check MDCG 2021-1 for what to consider while EUDAMED is not running yet.

Billy Milly

Involved In Discussions
Hi all,
Let me jump into the discussion.

For legacy devices, discussion is still if the PSUR is required at all. If so, the clock started this May. If not, the clock does not start.
As I understand the MDR, PMSR or PSUR are required. Article 120 allows legacy devices to be placed on the market (with a valid certificate), however PMS requirements of the MDR still apply - one of those is also PMS plan, which should require the preparation of PMSR or PSUR. That said, you should have the plan available from May and fist report within the prescribed period (two years, if I am not mistaken).

I would be glad to hear your opinions.

Hello,
That's what I'm thinking for legacy devices.

-If you make MDR submission after May 2022, PSUR is expected latest by May 2022 (class III/IIb)
-If you make MDR submission before May 2022 and get MDR cert. after May 2022, the same as above
-If you get MDR cert. before May 2022, the clock starts at Cert. date

To be confirmed by your NB and waiting for MDCG guidance..

What do you think?

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
Leader
Super Moderator
Typically Notified bodies have an Industry Engagement point person. These are the types of questions they would handle. I suggest avoiding the technical team for this feedback and go straight to the Industry Engagement Team there.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L EU MDR Article 86 PSUR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
P EU MDR and PSUR (Periodic Safety Update Report) EU Medical Device Regulations 44
J Enough for PSUR to cover product family? (Procedure packs, not the legal manufacturer) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
J PSUR encompassing PMS Report? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
P Which MDCG Document should I use for PMS Plan and PSUR? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
H When should the first PSUR be issued? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
G Class IIa medical products - PMS report and PSUR EU Medical Device Regulations 6
M PMCF (Post Market Clinical Followup)/ PSUR template EU Medical Device Regulations 9
T Regulation (EU) 2017/745 and PSUR (periodic safety update report) EU Medical Device Regulations 9
L Looking for SOP Template for UDI under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
P MDR Article 27 - UDI - Keeping records of UDIs EU Medical Device Regulations 0
Q Class I Medical Device with measuring function (UK MDR 2002 / MDD) UK Medical Device Regulations 3
F EU MDR Quality Plan template CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
K MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
B Clinical Investigation in Denmark for MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R EU MDR Remote vs In-Person Audit EU Medical Device Regulations 1
H IVDR & MDR CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
H Update to UK MDR 2002 No. 618 UK Medical Device Regulations 2
A MDR article 54(2) "modifying" EU Medical Device Regulations 1
K MDD to MDR Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
S EU MDR-Replacement Parts when not manufacture is not yet EU MDR compliant US Medical Device Regulations 2
dgrainger Informational Consolidated UK MDR 2002 UK Medical Device Regulations 0
E MDR Labelling & Languages EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K Subcontractors Providing Services Under MDD or MDR need ISO 13485 from EU Notified Body? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
D MDR: Active medical device or not? Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 14
T Justification of use of non-harmonized standards for MDR conformity Other Medical Device Related Standards 12
F The meaning of MDR Article 61 6(b) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Repackaging and translation under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 14
Ed Panek MDR Delays Poll EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S Meaning of Article 61 (10) of the MDR 2017/745 EU Medical Device Regulations 3
T MDR PMS System Vs. Plan Vs. Procedures EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D MDR classification and DoC requirements Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
N Shelf life guidance EU MDR, class 1 and class 2 Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 2
G UKCA and EU MDR marking UK Medical Device Regulations 5
G Updating MDD devices after MDR transitional period EU Medical Device Regulations 0
J Changes to OS - Significant change under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 8
D Direct-Marking Requirements under MDR 2017/745 EU Medical Device Regulations 3
G Significant changes on MDD devices/Old Devices after MDR transitional period EU Medical Device Regulations 1
P MDR conformity EU Medical Device Regulations 1
P MDR documentation submissions EU Medical Device Regulations 4
P Essential MDR documents IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 0
M How to build a winning strategy for EU MDR Compliance Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 0
I MDR: animal origin and nano materials EU Medical Device Regulations 3
C Deadline for compliance with added MDR harmonized standards CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
D Is sampling allowed for MDR Class III products? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A MDR Article 16 Certification of Distributors by a Notified Body? EU Medical Device Regulations 8
C MDR - Annex II _3. DESIGN AND MANUFACTURING INFORMATION_a EU Medical Device Regulations 3
F MDR GSPR 23.4 (c) EU Medical Device Regulations 6
B What are "appropriate drawings" required for a MDR in 21CFR820? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Ed Panek MDR Harmonized Standards Updated EU Medical Device Regulations 4