PSW Requirements for a Distributor

L

LowDown

I'm new to a distributor who does no manufacturing or processing of the items we distribute in the automotive space, other than receiving sealed boxes from the mfg and storing them until they are ordered, picked and shipped ( still sealed in the mfg cartons) . Currently we are supplying PPAPs to customers as required ,which are supplied to us by the mfg, along with the PSW which is basically a copy and paste from the one submitted to us by the mfg except that we put our company info on it in place of the mfg's and sign it. What liability are we assuming by supplying "our PSW" as far as if there is a quality issue? We do not alter or add to the PPAP documentation provided by the mfg, just pass it through. Should we even be providing "our" PSW ? We also currently do not sign off on PSW supplied to us by the mfg, nor do we require customers to return signed PSW's to us. What could come of that? Need some expert guidance here as I have searched and info regarding PSWs from distributors is scarce. The answer I get from the folks here is "thats the way we always have done it" :bonk:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

ncwalker

Trusted Information Resource
The PSW sounds like a crazy, binding document. Especially with the word "Warrant" in it. The reality is, it's a paper tiger. In fact, there are no industry requirements that require anyone in a certain skill or with any kind of certification be able to sign the thing. Contrast this with, say, a CQI-9 audit for heat treating. THAT has a list of requirements of who can actually complete the thing, and it is based on knowledge of heat treat, etc.

The PSW? Technically, anyone at your company can sign it, as can anyone at the receiving company. The outgoing company typically has a quality engineer or quality manager sign it. Sometimes a project manager. The incoming company typically has a supplier quality engineer or a receiving manager sign it. Typically. That's done because it is the natural state. These individuals are most familiar with the contents, so it makes sense they sign it.

What does the signature mean? Nothing really more than "my part of this APQP process is true and complete to the best of my abilities." So while is feels like you're signing a mortgage or something, you're not.

I have been involved in 4 large scale legal battles between a supplier and a customer in my career. And of COURSE PPAPs and PSWs were brought up. But I have never seen one go down like this: YOU signed the PSW, therefore YOU are on the hook for everything ....

Culpability is always tied to:
1) What was in the terms and conditions?
2) Did you ship against a production purchase order, and did that have changes/exceptions to the Ts & Cs?
3) What was on the print?
4) Did you make a change to the process without telling or not authorized by your customer?

And I can tell you, the absence or presence of the PSW had no bearing on these items.

We too have suppliers like you - they are just warehousing and passing along something someone else made. Best advice if you are concerned is indicate this on your warrant. In the Explanation/Comments section I would put the blurb "XYZ is an intermediary warehouse and distribution facility and has no effect or control on the fit, form or function of the component."

I DO agree with you, though. It's a little goofy you are involved at all. There are special state warrants and PPAP processes for bulk items - like primer paint, grease, etc. There should be a special case for intermediate warehouses as well.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S PSW - Requirements for "off-the shelf" component that has multiply manufacturing locations Off the Shelf Item Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
J PSW (Part Submission Warrant) and Design Requirements APQP and PPAP 14
Moncia Part Submission Warrant - Customer Requirements for PSW Submission APQP and PPAP 7
B OEM Signed PSW - How long is it valid? What are Ford requirements? APQP and PPAP 7
Y PPAP requirements: Submission date and PSW (Statistical Process Package) APQP and PPAP 6
B PPAP and Part Sample Warrant (PSW) Requirements if a Machine is Moved APQP and PPAP 21
B EMPB (Erstmusterprufbericht) VDA form confusion + PSW VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 2
G Do You Chase Your PSW signed warrants? APQP and PPAP 10
S Looking for a PPAP PSW, Part Submission Warrant, in Chinese APQP and PPAP 5
A Is normal for FORD EU ask for the PSW every year APQP and PPAP 5
S APQP, PPAP and PSW Question from a Rookie APQP and PPAP 4
N Customer wants a PPAP/PSW on some Prototype Parts APQP and PPAP 6
D PSW (Part Submission Warrant) Question for Part Number Change APQP and PPAP 9
M Chrysler PSW Sign Off when your product is rated low risk in CQMS IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
L PPAP Approval Woes - Getting signed PSW's back from Customers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 15
C Who in the supplier organization has to sign the PSW (Part Submission Warranty)? APQP and PPAP 6
R New PSW due to Company Name Change APQP and PPAP 4
M CPK and MSA for Vision System - Example PSW Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
R What is PSW - Statistical Process Package + Level 5 APQP and PPAP 7
P Part Submission Form - Need to submit PSW only once? APQP and PPAP 5
Fender1 PPAP-PSW Accuracy Concern - Laser Cut Holes In Formed Fabricated Steel Part APQP and PPAP 15
V Safety and/or Government Regulation question on a PSW (Part Submission Warrant) APQP and PPAP 6
T Who signs PSW's? (PPAP Part Submission Warrants) APQP and PPAP 1
D PSW for Level 1 for a Part Produced for an Order Last Year APQP and PPAP 11
D Product Shipment without Signed PSW - Customer does not provide signed PSW to us APQP and PPAP 13
E PPAP PSW Approval: Customer Drawing or Supplier Drawing APQP and PPAP 4
V Is it OK to put 2 Part Numbers on 1 PSW (Part Submission Warrant)? APQP and PPAP 12
R Waiver for PPAP PSW Functional Approval APQP and PPAP 3
A Does the PSW (Part Submission Warrant) need to be a controlled document? APQP and PPAP 7
E PSW (Part Submission Warrant) for Service Parts APQP and PPAP 4
M What method/program works in tracking PSW's Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
A What is PPAP (Production Part Approval Process) Why submit it and/with PSW APQP and PPAP 2
P PPAP Approval - Customer approval of PSW (part submission warrant) APQP and PPAP 5
S Material Supplier Part Submission Warrant (PSW) APQP and PPAP 2
I Confused on PPAP re-submission - Help on PSW (Part Submission Warrant) APQP and PPAP 3
M Spanish PSW (Part Submission Warrant) Needed APQP and PPAP 8
K Resubmission of PSW required by customer because of part number change IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
L PPAP Part Supplied to Multiple Plants - Submit another PPAP or PSW to the new plants? APQP and PPAP 6
T Do They Submit PPAP with a Uniform PSW from Customer? APQP and PPAP 7
G PSW - Obsolete form from old part submissions - Can I use it? APQP and PPAP 6
W Better Understanding of PSW (Part Submission Warrant) APQP and PPAP 7
B New PSW (Part Submission Warrant) - 4th Edition PPAP Manual APQP and PPAP 38
G Part Submission Warrant (PSW) dispute APQP and PPAP 19
M PSW (Part Sample Warrant) - When drawing and part numbers do not match APQP and PPAP 4
S Can anybody tell me what the legal status of the Part Submission warrant (PSW) is? APQP and PPAP 3
S ISIR (Initial Sample Inspection Report) vs. PSW (Part Sample Warrant) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
R PPAP - When to Send a PSW Warrant IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
N What is PSW? What does it entail? APQP and PPAP 1
P PSW (Part sample Warrant) - Restricted or reportable substances APQP and PPAP 13
S Recycling codes on PSW - Restricted or reportable substances APQP and PPAP 4