Purchasing - Internal Audit Questions

Hi

I am new to manufacturing, and I work at a plant with 50 employees. I am 21 years old and am a certified lead auditor for ISO 9001, ISO 14001, and ISO 45001. I am having trouble coming up with Internal Audit questions for ISO 9001 in regards to the purchasing process? Can anyone please provide me a question list for a purchasing process audit?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
No one can make meaningful suggestions without knowing anything about your company's requirements. Presumably there are documented requirements for your purchasing process. Let the requirements be your guide.

PART A

We have procedures for purchasing all raw materials, equipment, and services that could (and do) affect quality. Our Services Manager is the process owner.

PURCHASE REQUISITIONS/ORDERS
We have purchase requisitions to be completed for the items listed above, and anyone can request.
  1. The requisition must be signed by the requester and include 13 pieces of info (supplier name, unit price, etc.).
  2. The 1st level approval reviews the requisition for correctness and need.
  3. If not denied, it's returned to requester for revision or destruction.
  4. If approved at 1st level, the requester sends it to purchasing - who submits 2nd level approval and a PO.
  5. POs have 12 requirements (date of purchase, address, etc.).
  6. A printed PO is sent to VP of Marketing (or designers) for approval.
  7. If approved by VP, VP makes a copy of the PO which is sent to accounting and the supplier (Note: It can be faxed).
  8. Fax conformations, PO, and requisitions are filed by purchasing and maintained as quality records.
REVIEW/APPROVAL OF PURCHASING DOCS
Procedure:
  1. Requester must submit requisition to their supervisor for 1st lvl approval. Approver reviews the req to ensure it's what the company needs.
  2. After granted 1st level approval, sent to Purchasing - who submits it to lvl 2 (VP). POs are made if lvl 2 is granted.
  3. Purchasing gives a PO # snd completes a PO
  4. PO is submitted by VP for final approval.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Three words: Follow the process. Don't worry about ISO 9001. Audit against your own requirements. Your requirements, if adhered to, should satisfy the requirements of the standard.

dubrizo

Involved In Discussions
One of my first lessons when conducting internal audits was being told to forget about the ISO standard and focus on the internal procedures, work instructions, etc. The logic behind this thinking is that your business should already be compliant to the standard if you hold certification already. Your job as an internal auditor is to ensure that what your internal documentation says you do, you are in fact doing.

The example you provided regarding POs should be very simple to audit; request a number of POs that have been done since the last internal audit and ensure that they have followed the process through to completion. You can also go through additional process documents and create a checklist for yourself for "shall" items that should be verified during your IA. Another key item to check is any findings on this element from the last internal audit. Follow up on any findings to ensure any corrective actions are implemented and effective.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
While ignoring the ISO standard for internal audits is a good thing, beware that the company is also required to audit to ensure they conform to the standard (see 9.2.1). So make sure that your audit management isn't expecting a "conform to standard" audit as well. We have a section on our audit report where the internal auditors also review conformance to the standard as part of their internal audit. -- so we combine both requirements of 9.2.1. Good luck.

Randy

Super Moderator
Hi

I am new to manufacturing, and I work at a plant with 50 employees. I am 21 years old and am a certified lead auditor for ISO 9001, ISO 14001, and ISO 45001. I am having trouble coming up with Internal Audit questions for ISO 9001 in regards to the purchasing process? Can anyone please provide me a question list for a purchasing process audit?
Hey don't take this wrong, but you're 21 and a "certified lead auditor" for 9001, 14001 & 45001.....Certified by who?...Taking a course and passing a test doesn't make one certified, at least in this sense, and the question you're asking should have been asked by you at some time or another during the 100 management system audits it probably would have taken to earn those certifications.

You've been given some good advice, but why not 1st try to find out what purchasing is required to do by asking someone and looking at whatever documented procedures or instructions they might have?

Emmyd

Involved In Discussions
When I audit purchasing for my company, I pull all our internal procedures and review any applicable portions of the ISO/IATF standards. Then when I actually start the audit, I begin by asking the auditee what they do in their job. I let them talk me through their day-to-day job functions. I'll ask them to pull any documents/records/procedures that they say they use and compare those to what I have pulled. I've found that this approach works best and makes for a more effective internal audit and finds more things before an external auditor comes in.

I've used this approach in each job where I've held either Lead or Internal audit positions.

Good luck!

Read their purchasing procedure and see if it complies with the requirements of the standard

Then check they are doing exactly what they say they are doing in their procedure

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Purchasing Department Internal Audit HELP! Internal Auditing 12
G Internal audit of corporate Sales and Purchasing - HELP an auditor is needed! Internal Auditing 2
P Applicability of ISO 9001:2000 Clause 7.4 to 'Internal' Purchasing? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
L Purchasing procedure and workload ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
W Non-Conformance from recent Audit carried out on Purchasing AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
D Do purchasing controls apply to non-medical parts? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Q Purchasing requirements for Toll Manufacturers Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
R Do Brands Matter When Purchasing Bore Gauge? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
J COC (Certificate of Conformity) when NOT purchasing medical devices direct from the Manufacturer Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
R ISO 13485 purchasing QMS and ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
M Case study - If the restaurant (ISO 9001:2015 certified) was run by 2 persons covering cooking and purchasing processes (Mother and Father) supported ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
D Use of non-ISO 9001 Supplier - Purchasing through a distributor IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
M AS9100d Controlling External Provided Processes (purchasing 8.4) - The customer want us to use supplier X AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
S Purchasing for Design and Development Organization ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Q AS 9100 C and D Purchasing requirements difference AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
Q Risks and opportunities that could be associated with the purchasing department ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
R DFARS Compliance - Purchasing Aluminum Alloy 7075 -T73511 per AMS-QQ-A-200/11 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
N ISO 17025 Clause 4.6 Purchasing Services & Supplies (Compliance) ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
V Purchasing Controls - Prerequisites for Batch Release or even before Purchase Order 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
L ANVISA RDC 16 - purchasing records Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
K "Purchasing Controls" for Stand-alone Software US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
H Cause analysis for an Audit Finding - Purchasing Procedure Content ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
D Can we exclude purchasing and supplier evaluation - ISO9001:2008 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
S Difference between 7.4.1 & 7.4.3 - Purchasing Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
E ISO 9001-2008 Purchasing controls ? Issuing POs Without Specific Approvals Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
S AS9100 7.4 "Purchasing of a Service" - Stress and Design Analysis AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 7
M Supplier Audit Form for Purchasing Controls ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
A Question on Purchasing clause 7.4.1 of ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
A 7.4 Purchasing Question - My company only provides services ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
W ISO 9001 Clause 7.4.2 Purchasing Information for Retail Products ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
L AS9100 - 7.4.2d Purchasing - Specification revision for raw material needed? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
P Purchasing Process Out of Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
H Methods to Ensure that we are Purchasing what we've Designed Benchmarking 16
T Purchasing SPC Software for Automotive Company Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
P Supplier Scorecard for ISO 9001 - Help me review the draft from my purchasing team ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
V Satisfying AS9100 7.4.2 Purchasing Requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 10
quality1 Exclusion to Purchasing - AS9100 Clauses 7.4.1 & 7.4.2 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
S Do I have to audit 7.4 Purchasing ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
D AS9100 Tooling Purchasing Process Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
T Purchasing a Digital Multimeter Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
B Bill of Material Content to meet Purchasing Requirements Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
W ISO 9001:2008 Purchasing Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
T ISO 9001 Clause 7.4.1 Purchasing Process (Supplier Approval) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
M Distributor and 21 CFR Part 820.50 Purchasing Controls 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
A Purchasing Performance KPI (Key Performance Indicators) Benchmarking 4
K Purchasing a Portable CMM to Measure a 14' Cylinder that's 5' Tall Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
T Employee not following Purchasing Process Other Medical Device Related Standards 27
Q AS9100 Clause 7.4.1 Purchasing Process and Approved Supplier List Records AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 37
A Purchasing Verification & Supplier Selection ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
R ISO 9001:1987 or 1994 - Wording of Purchasing in section 6.0 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17