Purchasing Procedure - Supplier selection, evaluation and re-evaluation

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
#1
Hi All -

I have just revised our Purchasing Procedure in response to the minor nc we rec'd during our 9k2k registration. Specifically the supplier selection, evaluation and re-evaluation portion. I'd really like to know what you guys think and maybe point out any gaps I may have overlooked - you know, db's "fresh eyes".

Besides the content - all you grammar and spelling mavens have at it too.

I was going to go into a lot of detailed explanation about our company right now, but I changed my mind. I shall await your specific questions.

Thanks in advance!
 

Attachments

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

David Hartman

#2
Cari Spears said:
Hi All -

I have just revised our Purchasing Procedure in response to the minor nc we rec'd during our 9k2k registration. Specifically the supplier selection, evaluation and re-evaluation portion. I'd really like to know what you guys think and maybe point out any gaps I may have overlooked - you know, db's "fresh eyes".

Besides the content - all you grammar and spelling mavens have at it too.

I was going to go into a lot of detailed explanation about our company right now, but I changed my mind. I shall await your specific questions.

Thanks in advance!

Just one comment/question:

In section 3.5.3c it states that the PA cannot procure more than 5 orders from a new (yet to be approved) vendor. Then again in 3.5.4B is a similar statement limiting it to 10 orders for new subcontractors. Is there a limit on order size/quantity?

In a previous life :) we sometimes purchased in one order enough for an entire year (or even enough to support an entire contract).
 

Douglas E. Purdy

Quite Involved in Discussions
#3
Only a few minutes of review

Cari Spears,

Tracing your Purpose and Scope for ... product meets requirements ... Vendor POs (3.2.3 & 3.2.4), Subcontrqactor POs (3.3.1 B & C) and Outsourcing POs (3.3.2 B & C) states that the load or vendor shipper is verified against the shipper and then the enitre order is received, verified & invoiced. Which would lead me to believe that is the only verification activity. But then in 3.5.3 D (Supplier Control) you state that the product verification and delivery requirements are determined on a per order basis. Not seeing the process, I do not know how these procedural requirements satisfy the purpose and scope.

As for the Purpose and Scope ...instruction for selecting and evaluating suppliers..., I wonder about the 'outstanding qualifications' (see 3.5.1) being noted in the remarks column of the ASL. I see the focus in making sure that vendors are capable of meeting contractual requirements (3.5.3 C) and subcontractors the same (3.5.4 B), but I do not feel that the instruction is clear(JMPO).

Doug
 

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
#4
ddhartma said:
Just one comment/question:

In section 3.5.3c it states that the PA cannot procure more than 5 orders from a new (yet to be approved) vendor. Then again in 3.5.4B is a similar statement limiting it to 10 orders for new subcontractors. Is there a limit on order size/quantity?

In a previous life :) we sometimes purchased in one order enough for an entire year (or even enough to support an entire contract).
Thanks for having a look. :agree:

No limit on order sizes/qtys. We make or repair machine details (ballscrews, acme lead screws, spindles, etc.) and specialty tool holding devices (licensed Komet distributor).

When we are repairing an item or remanufacturing an unreparable item, the order is only for one piece - unless they decide to buy two in order to have a spare, which is not uncommon for some critical items. The repair/remanufacture portion of our business hovers right around 50%.

As far as OEM orders - those quantities are pretty low volume too. As low as 1, 5 or 10pcs. 150-200pcs is a large order for us. Example: one of our larger accounts is a provider of machining centers (just one of their commodities) to Ford. If Ford orders 10 of them, then our customer subcontracts to us 10 ballscrews.

We do receive the occasional blanket order for say 1,200 pcs and release 100 pcs per month - but that is not the norm.
 

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
#5
Douglas E. Purdy said:
Tracing your Purpose and Scope for ... product meets requirements ... Vendor POs (3.2.3 & 3.2.4), Subcontrqactor POs (3.3.1 B & C) and Outsourcing POs (3.3.2 B & C) states that the load or vendor shipper is verified against the shipper and then the enitre order is received, verified & invoiced. Which would lead me to believe that is the only verification activity. But then in 3.5.3 D (Supplier Control) you state that the product verification and delivery requirements are determined on a per order basis. Not seeing the process, I do not know how these procedural requirements satisfy the purpose and scope.

As for the Purpose and Scope ...instruction for selecting and evaluating suppliers..., I wonder about the 'outstanding qualifications' (see 3.5.1) being noted in the remarks column of the ASL. I see the focus in making sure that vendors are capable of meeting contractual requirements (3.5.3 C) and subcontractors the same (3.5.4 B), but I do not feel that the instruction is clear(JMPO).
Thank you for YPO :) I see what you mean. In 3.2 and 3.3, I'm just describing the verification of the "load" by the person receiving the shipment. Correct product, correct quantity.

That's where it stops for vendors (J&L Industrial Supply for example). The "product verification" described in 3.5.3 D is really just material certs for raw material or certificates of traceability for a new measuring instrument - that kind of thing.

For subcontractors and "product verification" see 3.5.4 C, E, & F. I have to admit, I struggled with trying to explain it clearly. Our products are all unique, 10 items might be ballscrews, but they're all different from each other.
 
Last edited:

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
#6
Oops - forgot about the "outstanding qualifications" part.

Here's an example - we use a few plating sources, however we prefer Selfridge Plating for copper plating and stripping because we have a blanket quote set up with them for great pricing and delivery. We prefer Jo-Mar for chrome plating for a number of reasons, however part size or timing issues sometimes dictate that we send it to Selfridge.

Also - the Approved Supplier List denotes "Customer (name) specified for..." or "NADCAP Certificate #123" and other such notes in the remarks column that might affect their selection for use on a particular job.
 
Last edited:

Gman2

Involved - Posts
#7
I don't include revision history on my individual procedures and also I do not list reference documents. I know those 2 things are just a matter preference but I like to keep my procedures as clean as possible. I list the revision levels of all procedures on a separate matrix which can include a brief description of the change. I figure since I am doing it that way it would be overkill to do it on both.
Other that that it looks like a very thorough procedure that anyone would be proud of ;)

G.
 

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
#8
Gman2 said:
I don't include revision history on my individual procedures and also I do not list reference documents. I know those 2 things are just a matter preference but I like to keep my procedures as clean as possible. I list the revision levels of all procedures on a separate matrix which can include a brief description of the change.
You know - I've been considering eliminating the reference documents section from our procedure outlines too. You have a matrix that lists revision levels - this is what our Master Document List does as well, and it serves as our "Table of Contents" for the two hardcopy QMS Binders we maintain.

I'm not sure about the revision history - we could just "across the board" keep an electronic historical reference copy. Our Document Administrator already has a secure folder set up for historical reference documents that we decided to maintain - maybe we could keep two revisions back or something. There's not too much revising going on around here, that would be very manageable.

Thanks for giving me some food for thought!
 

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
#9
For rev. history I guess I'm -- well, you know. I like to add a very short, succinct note as to why the doc. was revised on the new revision as it takes so little time and comes in handy at times. I also like to keep a full copy of the old rev. -- an electronic copy is so cheap and easy to keep these days, and I find this is helpful at times as well. Is all this necessary? Nah, but it is so easy I find it worth the small effort. Just a personal preference.
 

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
#10
Mike S. said:
For rev. history I guess I'm -- well, you know. I like to add a very short, succinct note as to why the doc. was revised on the new revision as it takes so little time and comes in handy at times. I also like to keep a full copy of the old rev. -- an electronic copy is so cheap and easy to keep these days, and I find this is helpful at times as well. Is all this necessary? Nah, but it is so easy I find it worth the small effort. Just a personal preference.
Yeah - the revision history section does not take too much room on the paper, this is what we currently do. We don't keep an electronic historical reference copy unless the revision is too complex/extensive to describe "succinctly" or if a document has been removed/deleted from the system. Like when I first started here, I tossed most of what they had paid a document writing company to write for them and completely rewrote it.

BTW - your comment in your email regarding the level of detail is well taken. This one is very detailed because of some issues around here. For example: The owner feels it is necessary to describe the PO numbering because of how $$ are entered into our job end reports and because of a supplier coding system we use in the payables software for monthly spending breakdowns.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Purchasing procedure and workload ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
H Cause analysis for an Audit Finding - Purchasing Procedure Content ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
P Purchasing Procedure - Review appreciated Imported Legacy Blogs 3
D Purchasing Procedure Manual Assistance needed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
A Advanced Purchasing Procedure guidelines or templates Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
P Purchasing Procedure - Review appreciated IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 19
A Purchasing Procedure example as per ISO 9001:2008 wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
A Procedure for procurement (purchasing) wanted ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A CFO trying to turn Quality procedure for Purchasing into a purchasing manual ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
J 7.3 Design and 7.4 Purchasing - Creating the procedure Design and Development of Products and Processes 13
O Purchasing Procedure for small company/order entry template Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
N Seeking an example of a purchasing procedure Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
L Purchasing procedure - Seeking suggestions - How to include a 'loop' for follow-up ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
S Purchasing Procedure - Purchasing process is not complete until product is received? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
V Purchasing Procedure Example Needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
J Purchasing Procedure - Where to put Material Request in the Procedure QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 3
M Purchasing Procedure - QSR ?820.50 and ISO 9001:1994 Clause 4.6 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
B Purchasing AS9100D Standard in Japanese AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
W Non-Conformance from recent Audit carried out on Purchasing AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
D Do purchasing controls apply to non-medical parts? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Q Purchasing requirements for Toll Manufacturers Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
R Do Brands Matter When Purchasing Bore Gauge? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
J COC (Certificate of Conformity) when NOT purchasing medical devices direct from the Manufacturer Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
R ISO 13485 purchasing QMS and ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
A Purchasing - Internal Audit Questions Internal Auditing 8
M Case study - If the restaurant (ISO 9001:2015 certified) was run by 2 persons covering cooking and purchasing processes (Mother and Father) supported ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
D Use of non-ISO 9001 Supplier - Purchasing through a distributor IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
M AS9100d Controlling External Provided Processes (purchasing 8.4) - The customer want us to use supplier X AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
S Purchasing for Design and Development Organization ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Q AS 9100 C and D Purchasing requirements difference AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
Q Risks and opportunities that could be associated with the purchasing department ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
R DFARS Compliance - Purchasing Aluminum Alloy 7075 -T73511 per AMS-QQ-A-200/11 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
N ISO 17025 Clause 4.6 Purchasing Services & Supplies (Compliance) ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
V Purchasing Controls - Prerequisites for Batch Release or even before Purchase Order 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
L ANVISA RDC 16 - purchasing records Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
K "Purchasing Controls" for Stand-alone Software US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
D Can we exclude purchasing and supplier evaluation - ISO9001:2008 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
S Difference between 7.4.1 & 7.4.3 - Purchasing Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
E ISO 9001-2008 Purchasing controls ? Issuing POs Without Specific Approvals Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
S AS9100 7.4 "Purchasing of a Service" - Stress and Design Analysis AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
M Supplier Audit Form for Purchasing Controls ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
A Question on Purchasing clause 7.4.1 of ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
A 7.4 Purchasing Question - My company only provides services ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
W ISO 9001 Clause 7.4.2 Purchasing Information for Retail Products ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
L AS9100 - 7.4.2d Purchasing - Specification revision for raw material needed? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
P Purchasing Process Out of Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
H Methods to Ensure that we are Purchasing what we've Designed Benchmarking 16
T Purchasing SPC Software for Automotive Company Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
P Supplier Scorecard for ISO 9001 - Help me review the draft from my purchasing team ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
V Satisfying AS9100 7.4.2 Purchasing Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10

Similar threads

Top Bottom