Pursuing certification to ISO 13485 (actually 13488)

J

Jimmy Olson

Help!!!

Howdy everyone.

I have just found out that we will be pursuing certification to ISO 13485 (actually 13488). Can anyone recommend any good resources for information so I can get up to speed on this standard. I have a very good understanding of 9001:2000 (which I've heard is similar), but know nothing about the medical side of things. I need to find out what the major differences are, and what extra steps need to be taken (we are certified to 9001:2000). Thank you in advance for all your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

Aaron Lupo

Richard, I don't have a lot of time this morning but just a qucik note. There is not really a major difference between 13485:96 and 9001:94, now with that said are you aware that the revised 13485 is set to be released in the first part of 2003? It is similar to 9001:00, however there are more requirments for procedures that 9K2K requires. A couple questions you need to ask is does your company sell in Canada, and is your registrar qualifed to audit you to 13485?

I will try and give you more details in the next day or two, in the mean time feel free to e-mail me or send me a private message.

J

Jimmy Olson

ISO GUY,

Thanks for your response. I look forward to hearing more details from you.

To answer your questions real quick, I have heard that there is a new version coming out soon, we don't sell anything in Canada, and our registrar does cover 13484/8 (I have requested some information from them).

We haven't been asked to meet any standards (even though we do manufacture on a small scale for a medical device company). It is mostly being considered as a marketing tool since there are a number of medical device companies in the area. Actually what started the whole thing yesterday was our marketing director noticed that on a competitors brochure :vfunny:

I greatly appreciate any information you (or anyone) can share, as the first time I even really heard about 13485/8 was yesterday. :confused:

I don't know what kind of timeframe we're looking at, but it seems to be picking up a lot of steam around here, so I'm thinking it is going to become a priority soon.

J

Jimmy Olson

Does anyone know where I can obtain a copy of the draft version of the new 13485? I've tried searching, but can only find the older versions available. Thanks.

J

Jimmy Olson

Does anyone know if ISO 14969 is being updated with 13485? Is this document even worth having?

A

Aaron Lupo

Yes, ISO/TS 14969 is being updated as well. Is it worth having at this point IMHO I would say no.

Too bad you didn't live close by, I am giving a presentation on this topic in a couple weeks for our local ASQ. The same one I gave for the IMDMC - Indiania Medical Device Manufacturers Council.

J

Jimmy Olson

I think we pretty much decided that 14969 probably wasn't essential.

We are going to be looking at training for this, so if you have any information please send it and I will pass it on to my training coordinator.

Have you seen or heard of any companies that have been 9001:2000 and then added 13485 later? Looking at the standard, it doesn't look too difficult to do.

J

Jimmy Olson

I would like to retract my previous statement. At a quick glance it looked like it wouldn't be difficult adding 13485 to 9001:2000. But after reading it in detail I realized that there is a lot more involved to it. :bonk:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Pursuing AEA (Aerospace Experience Auditor) Certification Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
Watchcat Advantages to pursuing a Special 510(k) instead of a Traditional 510(k) Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
L Sampling Evidence requirements - Pursuing AS9100 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 33
Sean Kelley My company is pursuing OHSAS 18001 and I'm looking for Safety Policy Examples Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 4
K USB VID/PID certification Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
L IATF 16949 certification costs IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
J How much to charge for helping a startup company with initial ISO 13485 certification? Consultants and Consulting 3
R Medical Device Software Certification IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
R China Quality Certification Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
S Requirements to obtain ISO 50001 Certification ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
N Any experience with Registrars that deny Certification to a Registrant? Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
P ISO Class 8 particle count (annual certification vs monitoring) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
T ISO/IEC 17065 certification scheme Help Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 7
T Help to Suggest name for a new certification and inspection company Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
J Hitrust Certification (HIPPA etc.) Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
T Letter to file for Product Certification CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
P ISO 13485:2016 MDSAP Certification Fee Survey ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
O ANATEL certification of Medical Device Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
M What happens to certifications if the issuing certification body loses accreditation? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
R Regulatory Affairs Certification (RAC) prep - Practice test versus actual exam Professional Certifications and Degrees 0
K Regulatory Affairs Certification (RAC) Exam - November 2020 preparation Professional Certifications and Degrees 0
B Advantages of a corporate certification scheme IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
N Harmonized Standards for MDR Certification EU Medical Device Regulations 7
M Quality management certification required by Health Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
hockeyhead Existing process never included in AS9100 scope of certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
R FCC certification (contract manufacturer) TL 9000 Telecommunications Standard and QuEST 1
M OEM asking for NC report after certification audit. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
A 21 CFR part 11 - section 11.100 - Electronic Signature Certification Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
I Management review in conformity assessment standards - Certification Bodies Management Review Meetings and related Processes 6
M Customers Request AS9100 certification - Small Company (less than 20 employees) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
T AMS2570E certification equipment questions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S RA (Regulatory Affairs) certification & Online Internship Professional Certifications and Degrees 11
B Directory of Largest Global Certification Bodies (Accredited) ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 3
M CE self-certification for Class I device (face mask) EU Medical Device Regulations 9
D API 6A Certification Question Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
K Restricted Scope of ISO 13485 Certification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
michellemmm What is the Cost of six sigma certification? Six Sigma 5
L "IATF-Compliant" IATF 16949:2016 certification? What does this mean? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
V Iso13485 certification vs CE technical audit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Watchcat Duration of MDD Certification EU Medical Device Regulations 4
DuncanGibbons FAA's Building Block approach to certification Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
J Product Service after CE Certification expiration CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
G USAS ISO 9001 Certification, online is it worth it? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
W Certification for IATF Lead Auditor will expire in 2020 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M Using your Manufacturer's ISO certification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Define voltage and frequency to perform tests 61010-1 and 61326-1 for CE certification CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
Nicole Desouza ISO / AS Certification - Small business with less than 100 employees ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Sidney Vianna IATF 16949 News Presentations from the latest IATF Stakeholder Event - Expectation that IATF 16949 certification should equate with product quality. Misguided? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
O ISO 9001 new certification advice request - Develop a QMS from scratch ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
G Is ISO 9001:2015 certification worth it for a company that does only contract manufacturing? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 14