Put some zip in your resume or cover letter

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
Every day, it seems, I read another resume where the writer says "good worker" - Is that to weed out employers who are looking for bad workers?;)

If I roll my eyes and aim for the circular file or "delete" button, what must happen with the person who has to read several hundred of these every day?

The plain fact is that blah words and overused, meaningless adjectives and verbs do little to advance one's candidacy and may be the kiss of death in many cases. There may be some employers who want dull, drab workers who have zero initiative and never color outside the lines, but most employers want someone who can help them move forward, not march in place for all eternity.

In the Quality profession, we've been making a big deal for years about the difference between anecdotal evidence and documented evidence. If a candidate writes "motivated," what effect does he expect that word makes on the person reading the resume or cover letter? I suspect the guy is motivated because his funds are running low - unscrupulous employers might take advantage of someone to lowball him/her with a salary range far below the going rate.

Here's a couple of other words that fail to arouse interest in a person with the power to hire.
Energetic? (as opposed to candidates who write they expect to sleep on the job every day?)
Seasoned? (salt? pepper? Tobasco?)
Strong? (weightlifting skills required?)
Driven? (lost license with a DUI?)

Here's the deal:
Don't waste valuable real estate on your resume or cover letter by putting in terms and phrases that send readers either into comas or paroxysms of laughter. Instead, say something with a real action verb and back it up with a brief sentence or two (or three) telling what or how you accomplished that action verb.

Here's a few sample verbs that may tickle your thinking as to something YOU did as the lead or mover and shaker:

1. Created
  2. Increased
  3. Reduced
  4. Improved
  5. Developed
Also, try to leave out stuff where you "assisted" or "maintained" - back in the 60's and 70's, every advertising copywriter who auditioned for our investment bank's work told us he/she "worked on" or "assisted on" the Mr. Whipple "Please don't squeeze the Charmin!" ad campaign. We laughed a lot! Plus - what on earth did Charmin have to do with investment banks?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Every day, it seems, I read another resume where the writer says "good worker" - Is that to weed out employers who are looking for bad workers?;)

If I roll my eyes and aim for the circular file or "delete" button, what must happen with the person who has to read several hundred of these every day?

The plain fact is that blah words and overused, meaningless adjectives and verbs do little to advance one's candidacy and may be the kiss of death in many cases. There may be some employers who want dull, drab workers who have zero initiative and never color outside the lines, but most employers want someone who can help them move forward, not march in place for all eternity.

In the Quality profession, we've been making a big deal for years about the difference between anecdotal evidence and documented evidence. If a candidate writes "motivated," what effect does he expect that word makes on the person reading the resume or cover letter? I suspect the guy is motivated because his funds are running low - unscrupulous employers might take advantage of someone to lowball him/her with a salary range far below the going rate.

Here's a couple of other words that fail to arouse interest in a person with the power to hire.
Energetic? (as opposed to candidates who write they expect to sleep on the job every day?)
Seasoned? (salt? pepper? Tobasco?)
Strong? (weightlifting skills required?)
Driven? (lost license with a DUI?)

Here's the deal:
Don't waste valuable real estate on your resume or cover letter by putting in terms and phrases that send readers either into comas or paroxysms of laughter. Instead, say something with a real action verb and back it up with a brief sentence or two (or three) telling what or how you accomplished that action verb.

Here's a few sample verbs that may tickle your thinking as to something YOU did as the lead or mover and shaker:

1. Created
  2. Increased
  3. Reduced
  4. Improved
  5. Developed
Also, try to leave out stuff where you "assisted" or "maintained" - back in the 60's and 70's, every advertising copywriter who auditioned for our investment bank's work told us he/she "worked on" or "assisted on" the Mr. Whipple "Please don't squeeze the Charmin!" ad campaign. We laughed a lot! Plus - what on earth did Charmin have to do with investment banks?
Comments anyone? Someone tried this approach?

Thank you!!

Stijloor.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Is it required to put"Rx only" on the home page of an app? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
V What plans have been put in place to achieve quality objectives? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
G What information to put on measurement Dimensional Results APQP and PPAP 7
bryan willemot Looking for a good CoC to put with my certification sheets when we send parts Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
Z Do we still have to put UDI if we have DI and lot number seperately on our product ? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
D QMS Documentation Process - I want to put all the Process SOPs to a QMS system Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
C What are rules to notify customers if IATF cert is put on hold? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
C IATF 16949 : 2016 - How put in place a Containment for this kind of Major NC IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
K Where in the quality manual do I put our Quality Objectives and our Quality Policy Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 19
D When Quoting an ISO Standard should I put the quote in italics? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
somashekar How to put in place a Risk Assessment of Vulnerabilities & Corruption... Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 2
N Microsoft Word - How to make high-light go away after text is put in Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 5
A Two Identical Medical Devices put in different Classes - Class I and Class II 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
L RAPS RAC EU Certificate: is anyone going to put hands on? Professional Certifications and Degrees 4
Crusader Certificate of Compliance - Put a form number on it or not? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 17
D Multiple Discrepancies put on one SCAR Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
I ISO 9001:2008 4.2 Documentation - Where to put a Procedure Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
D What Information to put on an Internal Chemical List Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 3
AnaMariaVR2 Why modern maps put everyone at the centre of the world Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
S What Spill Containment to Put at Dock Door Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 4
T What should I put on my Quality Notice Board? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
T What should I put on my Environmental Notice Board? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 4
I What do you have to put in place for Sterile Procedure Packs? MDD Article 12 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Shelf Life of Mineral Oil USP (put on cutting burrs before shipping) Manufacturing and Related Processes 19
M MSA - According to the formula cg how much tolerance should be put in place? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
V We put Old plating spec on supplier prints and need to PPAP to Customer. APQP and PPAP 1
M Trying to take current documentation and put it into ISO forms Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
K Equipment Lifetime: Put in operation manual or a individual document/declaration Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
M AS9101 Appendix D question - What to put in Box 8 ?Process Name? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 7
D How do you put confidence bounds around bimodal data? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 12
B Do we need to put the box around the SN symbol listed in EN 980? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
V Is it OK to put 2 Part Numbers on 1 PSW (Part Submission Warrant)? APQP and PPAP 12
B Urine Reagent Strips - Which directive should I put on the declaration? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Can we put two Manufacturer's address in IFU (Instructions For Use)? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
E Where to put QMS Definitions, e.g. forms, policies, etc ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
Q Suggestions on what to put on an Employee ISO 9001 Intranet page ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
Marc The Future - G.E.?s Breakthrough Can Put 100 DVDs on a Disc After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
J Suppliers for labels to put on medical device cables Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
K Where to put Product and Process Characteristics on the Control Plan. FMEA and Control Plans 1
K Where to put product and process characteristic in PFMEA (AIAG Manual 4th edition)? FMEA and Control Plans 6
J Required to put original manufacturers on Approved Supplier List? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
bobdoering Isuzu, Toyota Put Clean Diesel Engine Project On Hold. World News 1
J Metrics to be put in place in our Test department - First Pass Yield and Paretos Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
R Continental put the boot in.... Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 5
N Yields & Through Put Rates - Food processing industry Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
D Should I put Warehouse under Manufacturing Department? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 8
T How to put some teeth into a Non-Conformance Program Nonconformance and Corrective Action 17
B Is there a need to put symbols into every steps of the Process flow diagram In HACCP? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 3
Marc Robert Heinlein Archives Scanned and Put Online Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
M How do I control all the records we have? What do I put on a matrix? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 15