SBS - The best value in QMS software

Putting a new IVD on the market during the transition period

nickie

Starting to get Involved
Hypothetical question from my Managing Director! If we were to put a new IVD on the market for professional use that we are currently able to self certify, but that would need the input from a NB once the new regulations are in place, can we still self certify during the five year transition period, or do we have to be compliant with the new regulations from when they become law and involve a NB?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
S

Sarah Stec

Tl;dr: You could place them on the market now, but that doesn't mean you don't have any work to do now.

You may want to be careful about a couple things (incomplete list):

- The end dates of the various transition periods: different provisions of the IVDR will be enforced before the final deadline, so you may want to double-check these provisions to ensure you maintain compliance.

- Certification transition dates: It's my understanding you would need your EC Certificate in hand on the application date to continue selling (i.e. be audited by a notified body before the application date so that you can fix any issues and possibly get your certificate before the application date). Getting caught in the scramble at the end and possibly losing some time on the market while you wait for your audits to be done/certificates to come in could be stressful. :2cents:

Moral of the story: if you do want to go this route, you may want to plan it out so that your transition to the new IVDR is as seamless as possible. So, even if you can be self-certify now, it's probably a good idea to start building your IVDR-compliant systems and documents now so you can be ready to go.

:bigwave:

H

HeatherC-S

I was on the assumption that the transition period would still be true for putting a new device on the market. Our IVD wont be ready until June so we were working on the basis that we could still self-certify. However, I spoke to a consultant at Emergo a couple of days ago and was informed that this wasn't the case and we would need to get it done by May BEFORE the new IVDR comes into force.

M

missjenny

Heather,

Did the Emergo Consultant provide you with a reference or a basis for that claim? I am asking because I was under the same assumption that you are allowed to place new devices out on the market under the old directive during the transition period.

chris1price

Trusted Information Resource
I agree with Jenny, I thought self-certificatoins were valid until the end of the transition period, irrespective of when they are generated. I did pull out the latest IVD-R text, I can't find anywhere where it says so in writing. It describes the transition for normal certificates, but not self-certification.

However, I believe as soon as the transition ends, all self-cerification would be invalid. At that time you would have to find a NB and have then perform the nescessary Technical File reviews before you could apply a new CE Mark and continue selling.

If anyone knows for sure, I'd also like to know the reference.

Chris

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
2 GDT of datums - Putting Datum C on a drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
Z Putting back excluded rows/data points in a control chart Using Minitab Software 0
N "Placing on the market" & "putting into service"- one time regulatory event or Continual supply event? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R Suggestions for putting together a DHF (Design History File) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Putting AR's name and address on label - Authorized Representative Labeling Requirements CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
R Putting a Supplier on Probation Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
M Putting the CE Mark on Product Brochures and Posters CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 12
M Putting Quality Management Together - Getting People to see Quality as a System Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 12
S Putting Data Macros in a Form Fields - Access 2010 Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 5
N Putting SOPs in place in preparation for ISO certification - where to start? Service Industry Specific Topics 5
M Putting First Pieces with Masters - Need opinions Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
1 Putting Quality in place before shipping product Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 18
R Registrar Auditor putting more emphasis on training? ISO9001:2008 General Auditing Discussions 8
K Putting a regulated device on the market without the proper ISO Certs and CE Marking EU Medical Device Regulations 9
N Combining two time series graphs and putting a break line between them Using Minitab Software 5
G Manufacturing Aide - Putting a "Manufacturing Aide or note" on a customer print? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
D Industry Week is putting on a Free Lean Accounting webcast Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 0
Marc Putting the Cat Out - Love Your Cat Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 8
Q Key Quality Metrics - Manufacturing - Putting together a scorecard Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 27
S IVD Device History Record ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
J IVD sampling sizes for buyer Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
D Low risk IVD study in the UK, do I need MHRA approval? UK Medical Device Regulations 1
A CE-IVD Technical File with Multiple IFUs EU Medical Device Regulations 4
A Ethics Committee Review Process for IVD Products EU Medical Device Regulations 2
F IVD registration in EU - Northern Ireland based company EU Medical Device Regulations 0
J IVD registration renewal in China China Medical Device Regulations 6
S IVD risk class II devices for Brazil and MDSAP Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
A IVD in MDR procedure pack EU Medical Device Regulations 2
H Software Interface Translation IVD Regulation EU Medical Device Regulations 0
I IVD - 98/79EC - class IIa - Annex to the EC from the NB states the CM as one of the facilities? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
G CE marking of MD and IVD set EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D List A IVD - Change to material supplier EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D IVD (in vitro diagnostic) Labelling Requirements - 98/79/EC CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
J IVD instrument as an accessory EU Medical Device Regulations 3
C Where to place CE/label in Sterile IVD EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S A clinical performance evaluation study with an IVD product as Investagional Use product - Clinical Monitor requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
D Software User Interface Languages for LVD and IVD CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
Watchcat ISO 13485 for IVD (In-vitro Diagnostic Device) Manufacturers? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
H Incomplete IVD kit under IVD Regulation EU Medical Device Regulations 1
J 510(k) for a control kit for an external IVD test kit 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
P Do I need to get registered or have German entity to sell IVD products in Germany? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
E Sharepoint for ISO 13485 QMS for small IVD company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
samarth IVD manufacturer and service provider ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
J Universal Power Cord with Adapters - IVD IEC 61010-2-101 CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
M PMS template for FDA submission (De novo submission for a Class II IVD) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
J IVD CE transfer to another manufacturer EU Medical Device Regulations 4
V CE Mark under MDD or IVDR - IVD company doing Virtual Manufacturing Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
C CE marking for general IVD (self-certified) & ISO 13485 QMS requirements - auditing EU Medical Device Regulations 6
M Informational TGA – European implementation of Medical Device and IVD Regulations – Implications for Australia Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S How to consider the relevant standards during development of ISO13482:2016 for IVD manufacturing Blood grouping Other Medical Device Related Standards 6