Putting SOPs in place in preparation for ISO certification - where to start?

N

no_angel18

We are a chemical trading company, and as the ESQ Manager I am tasked to put in place the standard operating procedures in preparation for ISO certification. Our company has been in the business for almost 25 years but the SOP are in sufficient and not up to date. What are the procedures that first needed o be done? Will need all the help! Thanks!

G

George Weiss

Re: Help!

The ISO 9001 certification does not directly require safety SOPs, but in your chemical business, the EPA, OSHA, and DOT, would want their regulated issues covered, and so you have to determine what to include and what does not have to be within the ISO 9001 QMS scope.
I have not hunted these sites for you. Sorry………………………..
Reviewing these issues at OSHA @
http://www.osha.gov/
Reviewing these issues at EPA @ http://www.epa.gov/
Reviewing these issues at DOT @ http://www.dot.gov/
There was recently an Elsmar Cove comment on ISO 9001 and safety @
Lock-out / Tag-Out Procedures as Quality Controlled Documents?
ISO 9001 and Requirements as related to SAFETY - Procedure Control

harry

Trusted Information Resource
Re: QMS system way behind on procedures-where to start

......................... I am tasked to put in place the standard operating procedures in preparation for ISO certification. .............................What are the procedures that first needed o be done? .....................

Welcome to the Cove.

1. Which certification program are you pursuing? ISO 9001, ISO 14001 or OHSAS? Each are different and are handled differently.

2. Are you certified to any of these standard at the present moment. If you do, the starting point is again different.

We can give you a better answer if you answer the above 2 questions.

N

no_angel18

we are aiming to be ISO 9001 certified by October of next year in time for our 25th celebration. I already drafted the mandatory requirements under ISO9001 but i fear i still lack the supplementary procedures for our company. what are the procedures that needs to be prepared for a chemical trading company? i need help! :( thanks!

N

no_angel18

Re: QMS system way behind on procedures-where to start

Welcome to the Cove.

1. Which certification program are you pursuing? ISO 9001, ISO 14001 or OHSAS? Each are different and are handled differently.

2. Are you certified to any of these standard at the present moment. If you do, the starting point is again different.

We can give you a better answer if you answer the above 2 questions.

thanks harry! i need all the help that i can get! we are aiming to be ISO9001 certified!

harry

Trusted Information Resource
...................what are the procedures that needs to be prepared for a chemical trading company? i need help! :( thanks!

A QMS for different industries is basically quite similar in terms of structure, setup and procedures. You may use the 'CEFIC guidelines for chemical industries' for reference. Not much difference between the ISO year 2000 and 2008 versions.

On top of that you have to look into local regulatory requirements pertaining to product and storage.

Top Bottom