PUWER (Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations) and old machines (UK rules)

AlanC

Involved In Discussions
Hi All,
for old machines ( although there is nothing wrong with that in itself), they fall foul of UK regs on guarding, e stops, electrical circuits. For example do people have experience for
old manual lathes, milling or hobbing machines for lead screws, cutters etc, no guarding but essential under puwer since these are exposed rotating parts
Machines without e stops or machines when you open the door the machine tool is still rotating

thanks
Alan

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
Re: PUWER and old machines (UK rules)

My experience in the States is if you have old equipment laying around that doesn't meet OSHA standards, you must either bring it up to standards or dispose of it. I believe any "grandfathering" of the types of requirements you listed expired a long time ago.

Henria

OSH Officer
Re: PUWER (Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations) and old machines (UK rule

Hi !

AlanC don't ask any question. But Steve this no-question is not an US regulation item, it's an UK regulation one.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Re: PUWER (Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations) and old machines (UK rule

Most of here are in the US, so you'll probably get replies from US people. Here in the US it's mandatory. No "grand fathering". Machines have to fitted/retrofitted with safety guards. Steve is right on and I'd bet it's the same in the UK.

Henria

OSH Officer

Yes of course Marc, but sorry, a UK rules question can only have a UK rule answer (even most of cave visitors are US people. So it cannot have for exemple a french rule answer even UK and France (my country) share our same UE directives... Bye.

Top Bottom