Pyrometry Field Test Instrument to perform TUS (Temperature Uniformity Surveys)

J Allen

Involved In Discussions
I have a recorder that is normally used by my technician to perform TUS (Temperature uniformity surveys). The production recorder went down so they borrowed my Field Test instrument. They have used it for three weeks.
I now have to perform TUS on several ovens. Can I still use this unit for the TUS or do I need to send it out for re-calibration, (it is still in current calibration when I sent it to the calibration house 3 1/2 weeks ago).
I am confused by table 3 of AMS 2750 and para 3.5.20.1 which says "Process instruments of thermal processing equipment shall not be used to record TUS data".
Is this recorder now a process instrument since it has been in production use?
J Allen

Last edited by a moderator:
G

George Weiss

Re: Pyrometry Field Test Instrument

The idea of the TUS profiler being a separate device would be a means of oven/process verification.
You can come over to any oven and double check the temperature uniformity with your setup.
The device has not changed it’s calibration, but was used with 1 oven.
The process verification of that oven is weakened unless you have more than 1 TUS profiler.
You would be in a better position to use an alternate TUS profiler on the oven where the borrowed TUS was.
Do you have a second TUS profiler? Maybe not.
You could discuss this with QA about a NC write-up to avoid this event in the future.
Your TUS profiler is fine, but the process of the 1 oven was possibly compromised.
Writing a procedure to deal with this problem situation might be a good plan for the future, if the conditions causing are not changed.
Extending the calibration of a critical equipment to cover an equipment calibration gap is frequently done.
This oven has not produced a bad product, but over time could.
Better comments to follow.

BradM

Leader
Admin

Someone else may correct me, but I believe this section:

Process instruments of thermal processing equipment shall not be used to record TUS data".

Is stating you need an independent recording device.

Say you have oven 1-3, and each has a recorder on it. You cannot use the recorders attached to the ovens for TUS. You need a separate recorder.

For one, this allows you to have some independent checks of the process recorder, to assure it's recording the minimum, maximum, average, whatever temperature during the process.

If nothing has been changed with the TUS recorder, why would you think you would need a calibration? If you calibrate the TUS recorder with the thermocouple (loop check), then yes it would need a calibration. If the T/C is calibrated separately and the recorder is calibrated separately, unless I'm missing something (which I very well could be), I don't see why it would need a calibration.:)

J Allen

Involved In Discussions

I'm not sure that I was clear regarding the recorder. The technician's (QA) recorder is being used for production because the production unit is out of service (broken). The QA recorder has been set up to record production processing and has been in use for many production lots over a three week period.
It is now time to perform TUS on several furnaces. per the referenced paragraph and the hierarchy of insruments listed in table 3 of AMS 2750 regarding standard instruments, field test instruments, and controlling, monitoring, or recording instruments, can I move this unit up from production to use as a field test instrument without re-calibrating it?

BradM

Leader
Admin

A quick question.... do both recorders have the same accuracy/resolution?

G

George Weiss

"The technician's (QA) recorder is being used for production because the production unit is out of service (broken)."
going => :topic:
This is off topic, but maybe right in the middle of this issue.
The manufacturing profiler that was removed, (broken), was completely defective?
The likelyhood of this is small. More often there is an intermittent, an Out-of-Tolerance, or other issue(s).
Were there any product effected by this bad item running with the oven/furnace system.
This is a situation where sometimes an equipment switch is made, and an O.T. notification/evaluation is avoided.
You might comment about the manufacturing device, and if it could have impacted product.

J Allen

Involved In Discussions

No product was affected by the production unit breakdown. The carriage on the recorder failed to move so the recorder was removed and the QA recorder was used in its place so production could continue on other lots over the next few weeks. The question is that since the unit was brought out of the lab and was palced in use in production, can it be used to perform TUS because of its use in the production environment.

BradM

Leader
Admin

I'm not sure that I was clear regarding the recorder. The technician's (QA) recorder is being used for production because the production unit is out of service (broken). The QA recorder has been set up to record production processing and has been in use for many production lots over a three week period.
It is now time to perform TUS on several furnaces. per the referenced paragraph and the hierarchy of insruments listed in table 3 of AMS 2750 regarding standard instruments, field test instruments, and controlling, monitoring, or recording instruments, can I move this unit up from production to use as a field test instrument without re-calibrating it?

I don't have AMS 2750 in front of me, so sorry for me bumbling around here. I would think your recorder used for TUS would have the shorter interval. You would need to stick to that timeframe. Even though it was temporarily being used as production, it is now 'back on' the test instrument path, and should adhere to the 'test instrument' timeframe.

I would calibrate it anyway, just to assure it was within after the production runs, and before the uniformity surveys.

:topic:

Sounds like you have a decent size shop there, and you have your own testing equipment. Do you not have a calibrator you can use on the recorders? You could figure out some way to calibrate the Cold Junction Compensator with an RTD or something; then simulate millivolts.

This way, you could perform a calibration in a couple of hours, and not have to worry about it.

S

Sorin

I have a recorder that is normally used by my technician to perform TUS (Temperature uniformity surveys). The production recorder went down so they borrowed my Field Test instrument. They have used it for three weeks.
I now have to perform TUS on several ovens. Can I still use this unit for the TUS or do I need to send it out for re-calibration, (it is still in current calibration when I sent it to the calibration house 3 1/2 weeks ago).
I am confused by table 3 of AMS 2750 and para 3.5.20.1 which says "Process instruments of thermal processing equipment shall not be used to record TUS data".
Is this recorder now a process instrument since it has been in production use?
J Allen

O/c you can use it back for TUS. Your instrument is a dedicated TUS Field Test and have tighter specs than your processing instruments.

The idea behind 3.5.20.1 is to not use a dedicated processing instrument for surveys. That's all.

Top Bottom