QMS Document Management Software Recommendations

Hello,

We are currently using Microsoft SharePoint for all of our QMS documentation (Processes, Procedures, Work Instructions, Forms, etc) but for the size of our organization, we have determined that this is not the right tool. It's really just a repository of files within document libraries (some have approval workflows, revision control but most libraries do not.) We are looking for a stand alone "QMS Document Management Software". We are not looking for a "Document Control" Module within a QMS Software. Does anyone have any recommendations? ConSense GmbH is the only Software that we have found so far, but would like to look at other options as well. Thanks.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Randy

Super Moderator
How big are you? I've seen organizations that have 10,000 people on a shift use Sharepoint and even Windows Office or Lotus Notes.

Whatever you use, no matter the cost. size or complexity, will always be subject to "Garbage in - Garbage out", and only as good as it's managed

Last edited:
We are 6000+ people. Do large organizations really just use SharePoint for their documentation? It just seems to me that there should be better solutions out there. Thanks though.

Randy

Super Moderator
I'd like to be able to tell you who uses it by name, but if you use gasoline, have anything made from plastic, fly commercial or use a MS Windows based computer you probably are familiar with some of the company's

Tagin

Trusted Information Resource
Just searching on "QMS Document Management Software" I found this: Document Management Software | AssurX Compliance QMS

I agree that SharePoint doc libraries are not the best thing, especially for enduser use. We (a small company) use SharePoint, and I create pages for each department or functional area. On those pages, I use link webparts, and other webparts to organize links to documents, forms, reports, external links, etc. that are relevant to the particular needs of those users. I doubt more than a handful of employees have ever viewed the actual document libraries that house all the documents behind the scenes. All most users need is a main menu link or tab to get to "their page", which then contains all the items that they will use.

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi There cpeter17.
For a 6000+ person organization you're going to need something pretty robust.
Have you looked at Documentum? A lot of larger companies use that.
Or Master Control? I believe you can just get the document control module and then have expansion possible later if needed.
Verse also has a doc control system and I don't believe you need to own other modules.

Watchcat

Trusted Information Resource
ScottK, I'm in RA, not Quality, so I don't know what these systems look like, nor do I totally understand the discussion. However, I would like to understand, so I will ask, do your suggestions (or some of them) run counter to:

Hello,
We are not looking for a "Document Control" Module within a QMS Software.

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Staff member
Super Moderator
ScottK, I'm in RA, not Quality, so I don't know what these systems look like, nor do I totally understand the discussion. However, I would like to understand, so I will ask, do your suggestions (or some of them) run counter to:
Hi Watchcat

when you search for eQMS systems, most are integrated systems that offer modules that can be interconnected. For example, I am currently learning Q-Pulse and we have several modules including Documents, CA/PA, Training, Assets (calibration), and others. This way a new procedure can be linked to training so it cannot be released until training is complete (if you choose to set it up that way).

Master Control and Verse are like Q-Pulse but more focused on the document and record control - I don't believe you need to pay for all the modules. and they are far more expensive, catering to large companies.

Documentum, as I understand it (I've never used it personally but have connections who have), is strictly for enterprise document management and doesn't have the other QMS modules. So this is more in-line with OP's search.

I have used another program called DocLineUp in manufacturing that is strictly for document control. It was really meant for hospitals and labs but we modified it and it did a fine job for us. But it couldn't be linked to our CAPA, Training, NCR, etc. databases. This was a while ago and don't know if it's around anymore or has evolved into something new.

Hope that helps

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Specifications - All the same type of document? Change Management part of our QMS Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
M IMDRF document - Application of QMS to SaMD ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
JodiB Is DCR (Document Change Request) Needed for Initial QMS Procedures? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 16
K Non-Disclosure Agreement as a QMS document Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
Q Document Control ECO (Engineering Change Order) or QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
C Document Nomenclature - Can you call WI (Work Instructions) a QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
F CE Mark Technical Files as controlled document in ISO9001 QMS Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
J Looking for stand-alone QMS manual & procedures for ISO 14001 as a guidance document. Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
D What document will indicate the date the QMS became effective? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
SocalSurfer Can you recommend an enterprise QMS for new AS9100 startup AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
H Expanding our business and the implications to our QMS Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
SocalSurfer AS9100 new certificate, but need QMS software, help Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
M IT validation for a paper based MD repair company QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M QMS for a repair/servicing company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
DuncanGibbons Should the requirements FAA/EASA Part 21 be addressed within the QMS and AS9100D quality manual? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
A Is there a better way to do a complete assessment of our QMS? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 8
Q Managing a "special" customer into the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Q AS9100:2016 D - Intent of 8.4.3 (K) - Implement QMS AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
Q From paper to Electronic (records) in the QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
A QMS Overhaul - Reorganizing and Renaming Documents - Internal References Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
Q Documented actions and changes in the QMS by COVID 19 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
DuncanGibbons Enterprise Architecture for QMS Conceptualization AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
O Adding ISO 13485 to an AS9100 QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
S Class I MDR Article 10 – QMS EU Medical Device Regulations 1
I Drupal for QMS Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 26
D ISO 9001:2015 4.3 Determining the Scope of the QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Scope of Combined ISO 9001 and IATF 16949 QMS - Non-automotive customers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S Validation Records - Very young QMS Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
E Sharepoint for ISO 13485 QMS for small IVD company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
GreatNate Where to get a KPI dashboard for QMS processes Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
mike10 QMS Update - Rev. up or start over? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
U QMS for medical device startups ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 25
B QMS question in regards to multiple medical devices/products and N/A activities Other Medical Device Related Standards 12
B Record Management - Does the QMS need to control templates of records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 17
D How do I promote my QMS? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
I Questions to ask when auditing for Organizational Leadership and Planning for the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R QMS Standard appilications on different Defense Sector Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
O ISO 9001 new certification advice request - Develop a QMS from scratch ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
L Clause 0.4 of ISO 9001 and EHS - Where should I stop the inclusion of EHS in my QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
R ISO 13485 QMS Implementation Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
B We need a QMS: file-based templates or software Other Medical Device Related Standards 23
H QMS Software Recommendation (US based, Hemp) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
D How to Identify the Risks and Opportunities required for QMS Processes? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
D Benefits of electronic QMS software Software Quality Assurance 5
D Why are pharma companies automating QMS systems? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 2
dgrainger QMS for device "use" in a Health Institution? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
R ISO 13485 and QMS related concepts Training - Small medical device startup company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
R Implementing Design History Documents/ Technical Documents in the QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
R Approvals on QMS Documents - ISO 13485 Requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
T AS9100D - Scope of QMS for New Company - Only Choosing a Function Subset Due to Management AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 14