QMS For IT (information Technology) Sector

A

anwarsaleem

HI!

Would like implement QMS fro our information technology sector using ISO as documentation standard and implementing BS 15000 ! How can get started? By the way have very little experience with ISO 9001.

Regards,
Anwar

Last edited by a moderator:
Q

qualitygoddess - 2010

The best way to start is to get the training/education you need to be effective. I don't know if your country hosts public seminars for ISO or BS, but you should check into that. You could also contact some of your customers or suppliers that are registered to ISO, and ask for a tour of the quality system. Registration firms can also provide good information for their new and prospective clients about ISO and the registration process. Finally, you could purchase interpretive books from ASQ or some other course, and do some reading.

Best of luck. If you get stuck in a particular area, feel free to post a question to this forum.

--QG

S

stanislavd

Gap

I thnik the first think you should do is:
- attend to ISO 9001 training
- Prepare GAP analys in your company
- review the GAP with the top management

S

SSwanson

I would certainly suggest training... but not the normal "How to be an Auditor" training. You need specific training as to ISO (I'll explain that in a second).

Then I think you need to look at ISO as a focus and foundation for your basic Quality System. If you company does not have a QMS, you need to make one. The approach is simple: What does the ISO paragraph say? How do we do that in our company? Then document the two.

Then, as it applied to BS 15000, Ask yourself the same questions. What is required, and how do we fulfill that requirement. Once the questions have been asked, answered, documented, trained, implimented, controlled for effectiveness, and revised where necessary... You are ready for certification!

C

Craig H.

SSwanson said:
I would certainly suggest training... but not the normal "How to be an Auditor" training. You need specific training as to ISO (I'll explain that in a second).

Then I think you need to look at ISO as a focus and foundation for your basic Quality System. If you company does not have a QMS, you need to make one. The approach is simple: What does the ISO paragraph say? How do we do that in our company? Then document the two.

Then, as it applied to BS 15000, Ask yourself the same questions. What is required, and how do we fulfill that requirement. Once the questions have been asked, answered, documented, trained, implimented, controlled for effectiveness, and revised where necessary... You are ready for certification!

If I may, SSwanson, I would like to elaborate a little here. If the company is a healthy going concern, it may not have a documented Quality Management System (QMS), but chances are good that many, possibly most, of the things outlined in ISO 9001 are already being addressed to some degree. They may not be called the same thing, but they are there. The "trick" is to recognize how the company functions now and use ISO 9001 to enhance the operation.

I am speaking from experience (several years ago) here. Do not reinvent the wheel, keep things as simple as possible, try very hard to work within the existing framework and culture wherever possible. For someone new to the subject it can be very easy to read things into the standard that are not really there.

Oh, and good luck, anwarsaleem! You have found a great resource here!

S

stanislavd

Choose the path

If you are software company, the most important is to see whats happen with your processes and if they are not according to ISO (not only 9001, but 900003, etc.), change them drasticaly. I have worked for project in Software Company that do not have established: requirements management, source safe systems, contant management system, Projec Planing !!! There was chaos. The ISO makes great work in such cases not as tool for improvement of the curent situation, but as a catalizer of dramatic changes and improvement.

Top Bottom