Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

QMS Improvement - Analyze the systemic weaknesses of the QMS for improvement purpose

KCIPOH

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hello Cove members,

Appreciate some reference explanation for the below :

1. If i would like to analyze the systemic weaknesses of the QMS for improvement purpose, how shall i start?
2. How could i perform benchmark and system process mapping to validate and identify best practices for the improvement of QMS?
3. What are the area of concern that i should look into in order to bridge the major gap on QMS linkage to system effectiveness to supports Automotive growth?

UncleFester

Involved In Discussions
1. You could look for patterns and trends in performance results from your internal (and external) audits - if your audit process is robust and you have competent auditors then you may see some issues that appear across all audited processes - such as awareness, document control, ownership etc. You could also look at process performance across all processes to determine similarities.
2. Is your company part of a group? Group companies often have similar key performance indicators so always useful for benchmarking.
3. You could look at your customer base, strength in the market and anything else that appears on your needs and expectations of interested parties, also register of risks and opportunities.

John Predmore

Involved In Discussions
#2. Uncle Fester has a good suggestion (#2) to benchmark against other divisions in you corporation. We'd like to think metrics from a sister division would be directly comparable, but that is not always the case. KPI/Metrics alone might not guide you in specific detail what and how to improve.

Sometimes fresh eyes help us see what we are most blind to. One hallmark of formal Benchmarking is to look outside your industry for best practices, those which solve problems and make sense in your environment. Xerox made Benchmark a verb when they partnered with L.L.Bean for efficient warehousing and distribution of product (analogous to service parts for Xerox). The story goes, L.L.Bean had no reason to be secretive or uncooperative because Xerox is not a competitor in their industry. A formal Benchmarking study involves a detailed questionaire, completed and exchanged by both partners, then a sequence of face-to-face meetings where partners discuss and exchange how to apply lessons learned successfully. You don't have to Benchmark with world-best, only a partner who works differently and has achieved a level of success you'd like to understand better. Network with nearby companies who participate in the Chamber of Commerce, local ASQ, companies your suppliers think are well-run, or other forums, to identify potential partners.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Appreciate some reference explanation for the below :

1. If i would like to analyze the systemic weaknesses of the QMS for improvement purpose, how shall i start?
I think the obvious answer to this question is: analyze root causes for quality escapes, product returns, customer complaints and the like. The main purpose of a quality system is to prevent those. So, if your system is failing in delivering the basic expectations of enhanced customer satisfaction and conforming products delivered on time and on cost, there is something wrong along the way.

Pancho

wikineer
Super Moderator
I think the obvious answer to this question is: analyze root causes for quality escapes, product returns, customer complaints and the like. The main purpose of a quality system is to prevent those. So, if your system is failing in delivering the basic expectations of enhanced customer satisfaction and conforming products delivered on time and on cost, there is something wrong along the way.
This.

The weaknesses in your QMS show themselves through non-conformities. An effective continuous improvement process is how you fix them.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Imagine that you have the money to buy the company.

With this mindset plan and conduct your pre-acquisition audit. Your report should show what to keep, what to discard and what to improve.

You may even determine necessary changes to its mission.

KCIPOH

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hello All,

Appreciate on all the prompt reply.

You guys are right, findings from internal or external audit could serve as a direction to system improvement.

UncleFester, fyi, this is a subsidiary in a group of companies, yes, there is subsidiaries which are doing the same industries and will have that to be review on their KPI to be serve as reference for benchmarking for whichever is relevant.

Thank you all for your speedy and valuable inputs.

Top Bottom