QMS inside a Non medical device firm

Hi there

I work for a big consultancy and one of the business units is aiming to have a QMS to produce SaMD and sell products CE marked. This BU relies on central firm services such as IT infrastructure, HR services and some tools. Obviously the scope of the QMS is the work done at BU level, but I am not sure how to describe the relationship with the firm wider services. Had anyone been in a similar situation?
Many thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Zero_yield

No cost too great...for Quality
Hello anaburman

The closest I've experienced was in the opposite direction - being a medical device company jammed in a pharmaceutical infrastructure, chafing under unnecessary pharma regulation that didn't rely apply to medical devices.

What particular issues are you having trouble describing?

Hello anaburman

The closest I've experienced was in the opposite direction - being a medical device company jammed in a pharmaceutical infrastructure, chafing under unnecessary pharma regulation that didn't rely apply to medical devices.

What particular issues are you having trouble describing?
Thanks

Thanks for your reply! I have been there too and it is as much as a pain as this I think. I am inclined to have the SOPs for these process to describe how we go about getting these services from the main firm and then get a firm SME to be a reviewer in the document. Does that make sense?

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
You're effectively outsourcing those services and you can probably treat them as such. Of course, you are responsible, still, for compliance so you have to look closely. Look at section 4.1.5 in the standard. Having a firm SME review is fine (and maybe that's part of the quality agreement) but I wouldn't think they would be an approver. I think this is quite doable.

You mention tools (software, I presume). You'll need to watch that since software used in the execution of the QMS should be validated. If changes are not well-controlled then you might not be able to maintain the tool in a validated state.

A few things jump to mind regarding the IT infrastructure:
  • Be careful if you're capturing any 'protected' info on the IT infrastructure. The GDPR fines can be massive.
  • Document and record retention needs to be hammered out.
  • Certainly be cognizant of cybersecurity concerns.

A few things jump to mind regarding the IT infrastructure:
  • Be careful if you're capturing any 'protected' info on the IT infrastructure. The GDPR fines can be massive.
  • Document and record retention needs to be hammered out.
  • Certainly be cognizant of cybersecurity concerns.
[/QUOTE]
This was a pretty good help for me. Thank you for sharing.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Number of processes identified inside your QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
C Customer Quality Objective - Mandatory to have documented inside QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
S Disparity between Job Descriptions in QMS & Contract ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
qualprod Minimize tomention other positions to ease the QMS management ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
S QMS certificate and Samlping EU Medical Device Regulations 0
H Mapping QMS+business processes in a medical device with class I and IIa+b Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 3
Y Must Initial importers have any QMS? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
qualprod QMS global effectiveness? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Q 13485 QMS turnkey ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
K New to Medical Device QMS and would like advice ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
N QMS standard for a research based Organisation Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
Moncia Integrated QMS and audit Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
J New QMS Auditor - seeking opportunities to gain audit experience Career and Occupation Discussions 3
Sam Lazzara Record signature requirements in proposed FDA 21 CFR 820 QMS Regulation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
qualprod External consultant into a QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
S Changing PCB Assembler and impact on QMS and MDD CE Certificate EU Medical Device Regulations 2
ChrisM Class 1 non-sterile device, need certified QMS or not? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A CDRH Learn and DICE for Building a QMS 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
S HELP in setting-up QMS Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
S How long the QMS must be maintained after device EOL? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
K Processes interaction of QMS Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
P Can I exempt products/services from my AS9100 QMS? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
J0anne QMS Implementation Iran ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
adir88 Substantial Change to QMS (Annex IX, Chapter I) EU Medical Device Regulations 0
Watchcat When to begin putting together postmarket production QMS for a mobile app? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 13
B QMS Functional Safety Checklist ISO 26262 - Road vehicles – Functional safety 0
D Proof QMS compliance for class I ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A Need career advice on QMS & HSE (No hands on experience) Career and Occupation Discussions 6
M Sharing QMS Documents with Customers Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
M Options when MSA acc. to VDA 5 is NOK (Qms > 30%) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
D QMS Realignment after business splits into 2 different companies AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
G One-person QMS - possible? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 18
A SaaS SaMD - Impact QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S ISO9001 QMS: Quality Manual Examples & Templates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
K Is implementing Electronic Signatures a Significant Change to the QMS? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
qualprod Can a consultant be audited instead of QMS responsible? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S Do you follow your QMS for non-device software features? Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 4
Ed Panek How to address a QMS Entry Error ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
D Digital Healthcare - QMS requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
BeaBea QMS/ Training Management Software Service Industry Specific Topics 4
R QMS for Medical products & Pharmaceutical Drugs in one facility Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
C First Round of QMS Internal Audits - Ethical Dilemma Internal Auditing 10
N Handling B-Grade Products within the QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
M Supplied Goods out of QMS / DtS? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Can outsourced processes be excluded from QMS scope? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
H QMS ISO 13485:2016 - ISO14971 IEC60304 etc ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S Implementation of QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
M Correcting Electronic QMS Records AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
M Are We Ready for a QMS? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 8
I QMS monitoring, measurement, analysis and evaluation requirement - Template ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9