QMS ISO 9001:2008 Auditor/Lead Auditor Course - would appreciate advice on the course

P

PaulSmith77

Hello first post so please be gentle.

I am about to start a course "QMS ISO 9001:2008 Auditor/Lead Auditor " and would really appreciate any advise with ref to the afore mention course. The course provider is a company called Batalas who have come higly rated I would just appreciate any advice from the very knowledgeable Quality proffesionals online.

Kind Regards
Paul

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Re: QMS ISO 9001:2008 Auditor/Lead Auditor

What type of advice are you looking for?

ISO 9001 Lead Auditor courses are all pretty much the same. I personally haven't heard of Batalas but there are hundreds of companies out there which provide lead auditor courses. The main thing to make sure of is that Batalas has some sort of accreditation or whatever for their lead auditor course.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader

Do the RABQSA folks have one, too?

D

DougieB

If it is IRCA approved then it will be fine.

D

DougieB

Sorry I did mean to say welcome to the Cove:bigwave:

AndyN

Moved On
Re: QMS ISO 9001:2008 Auditor/Lead Auditor Course - would appreciate advice on the co

BATALAS is one of the oldest and most experienced of LA course providers, right from the beginning. They will hold IRCA accreditation for their courses, as they are UK based.

The course doesn't (isn't supposed to) teach about ISO 9001, so becoming familiar with those requirements is your best pre-course studying option.

Big Jim

Admin
Re: QMS ISO 9001:2008 Auditor/Lead Auditor Course - would appreciate advice on the co

Welcome to the Cove.

Lead auditor courses typically do teach the respective standard (in your case, ISO 9001:2008). Typically they cover every part of it and use case studies and scenarios to provide depth of understanding.

Even though they pretty much teach you what you need to know, one of the best things you can do to prepare is to get a copy of ISO 9001:2008 and read it before attending. Pay particular attention to sections 4 through 8.

AndyN

Moved On

Lead auditor courses typically do teach the respective standard (in your case, ISO 9001:2008). Typically they cover every part of it and use case studies and scenarios to provide depth of understanding.

The IRCA course providers requirements make it a pre-requisite: http://www.irca.org/Documents/organizations/TOs/Course criteria/IRCA 2245 - QMS A_LA.pdf on page 3 para: 1.2.3

You may notice that very little is given over to "learning ISO", since the course is, primarily, an auditing skills course. There may be instructors who feel the need to teach ISO, but I remember being explicitly told it's not the place to do that...

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions

Whether the QMS LA course teaches the standard is a point of some discussion for IRCA registered training courses at this moment. IRCA have recently issued new course criteria and in their document it states:

Prior knowledge
Before starting this course, you must inform students that they are expected to have the following prior knowledge:
a) Knowledge of the following quality management principles and concepts:
- The Plan, Do, Check, Act (PDCA) cycle.
- The relationship between quality management and customer satisfaction.
- Commonly used quality management terms and definitions and the 8 Quality Principles as given in ISO 9000.
- The process approach used in quality management.
- The Model of a Process Based Quality Management System, the structure and content of ISO 9001.
b) Knowledge of the requirements of ISO 9001, which may be gained by completing an IRCA certified QMS Foundation Training course or equivalent.

This is a real point of contention amongst a number of training organisations I work with. A similar statement is made in the IA course criteria too.

Back to the OP, I did my LA course with Batalas back in 1988 - I am sure the course has changed since then!

I would endorse what Andy said, get yourself as familiar with the standard as possible, learn to navigate it, don't try to remember it.

Top Bottom