QMS Overhaul - Reorganizing and Renaming Documents - Internal References

Hello all,

I'm looking to take our existing controlled documents and give them new alphanumeric codes and file them more appropriately. Before, work instructions, forms, procedures, there was no distiction between them and the system worked by becoming familiar with it and to find something if you weren't familiar made for a bad day. Anyways, I've reorganized and renamed most of our docs per the actual files, but have not yet opened them to edit the contents.

There I will have to change all previous naming and corresponding references in other documents, but my question is in doing revisions.

I'm positive that my quality manual or procedures don't mention this specifically, but were I to change a document title, and some content, could I make it a new document (make 300+ new documents) or do I need to make 300+ revisions? Blanket obsolete them and make all the old docs with new trim actually new again?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
I think you can do what you want. Whatever works best for you. When we re-did our system, we updated everything, but turned them into new documents with new names, etc. We also kept a few old ones in the system.

malasuerte

Involved In Discussions
You can do mostly what you want. However, there may be some considerations for taking a blended approach. Some documents may be 98% fine the way they are and need a small revision only; whereas other may be better served scrapping and starting fresh.

The most common example I see is an organization has a document 'labeled' as a Corporate policy, when it is not a policy at all and is a procedural document. In a case like this the Policy document may have a whole different naming convention, or something from a procedure/operations document. So in this case, you obsolete the CP, and start a whole new document with the proper configuration, etc.

So before starting - I would consider if all the documents you are working with are in a logical hierarchy and are appropriately named/assigned.

As an example, For our org, the most common hierarchy is:
  1. Level 1 = Corporate Policies (or just Policies) - doc numbering starts CP - xxx
  2. Level 2 = Governing Specifications (these our methodology docs) - doc numbering starts GS21 - xxx
  3. Level 3 = Operational Procedures - doc numbering starts 25 - xxx - xxx

Hope that helps a little.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
You can do what you want, however you want, but keep it simple, and make sure you do not confuse employees with some sort of all new cryptic code.

Pjservan

Involved In Discussions
You can manage the change in the manner that best fits your organization. Don't get too fancy with the numbering system- keep it simple.

normzone

Hello all,
Before, work instructions, forms, procedures, there was no distiction between them and the system worked by becoming familiar with it and to find something if you weren't familiar made for a bad day. ... I've reorganized and renamed most of our docs per the actual files, but have not yet opened them to edit the contents.

... were I to change a document title, and some content, could I make it a new document (make 300+ new documents) or do I need to make 300+ revisions?
I understand why you have chosen this path, and wish you good fortune. But you are already in too deep.

It has been my experience that any system you choose to identify your documents will be painful and confusing ... to SOMEONE.

Number them by department? You'll have documents that cross department lines.
Number them by ISO 9001 reference? You'll have documents that don't pertain to ISO 9001.
Number them in an arbitrary fashion for ease? You'll find you'll periodically need new number sets for docs that don't fall into an existing group.

Have fun ...

. But you are already in too deep.
I am man, I am.

So it sems that I'll just make these into new documents. Also, thank you all for suggesting that it stay simple. To me it is, the numbering code goes DEPT.-DOC TYPE-XXX. So QC-WI-001 is a Quality work instruction, pretty easy.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
FWIW, we numbered our departments for this type of excercise...we found it easier.
Tape manufacturing was 12.

So Tape manufacturing procedures were MP12-01, MP12-02, etc. All of the procedures for that department were all in the same place...MP12...TM12...etc. HTH

Sebastian

I do not care document level, issuing person department, I need process approach.
E.g. all work instructions, checksheets related to manufacturing process start from P (like Production) and then followed by consecutive numbers starting from e.g. 001, when 999 is enough. Issuer can be from Production department, Process Design department, as long it describes activities covering system process called Production, there is "P" letter in front.
The most important thing is documents net. If single document or group of documents is not referenced by any of other documents it get lost. Of course Quality department has its "stamped original," but document is not used, as none knows that such a document is available.
I saw situations where in big company 2 or 3 documents for same subject existed and another one was in creation process.
Without referencing, expect dead roots.

greatwhitebuffalo

Starting to get Involved
We use 4 different codes depending on the type of information is contained in the document. I.E. QMSD-1001 is our quality manual. The "D" stands for documents. We use QMSF- for Forms. QMSP- for procedures. QMSM- for process maps. This system works very well for us, as it is easier to search by the type of document, rather than by department or clause.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Where to Start to Completely overhaul a QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
E How to write a Project Plan to Overhaul our QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
M Overhaul QMS or start over? How do you decide? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 40
S Is QMS like a set of rules and regulations that a company follows? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
B Timeframe for updating QMS / transitioning from ISO 14971:2012 to ISO 14971:2019 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
W Using tailoring guidelines to tailor a QMS procedure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
D Offsite storage of QMS documents ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
L Exemption from the Regulation COVID-19 and QMS requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 2
DuncanGibbons Model-Based procedures and Architecting the QMS as a System Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
SocalSurfer Can you recommend an enterprise QMS for new AS9100 startup AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
H Expanding our business and the implications to our QMS Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
SocalSurfer AS9100 new certificate, but need QMS software, help Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
M IT validation for a paper based MD repair company QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M QMS for a repair/servicing company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
DuncanGibbons Should the requirements FAA/EASA Part 21 be addressed within the QMS and AS9100D quality manual? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
A Is there a better way to do a complete assessment of our QMS? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
qualprod Managing a "special" customer into the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Q AS9100:2016 D - Intent of 8.4.3 (K) - Implement QMS AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
qualprod From paper to Electronic (records) in the QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
qualprod Documented actions and changes in the QMS by COVID 19 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
DuncanGibbons Enterprise Architecture for QMS Conceptualization AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
O Adding ISO 13485 to an AS9100 QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
S Class I MDR Article 10 – QMS EU Medical Device Regulations 1
I Drupal for QMS Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 26
D ISO 9001:2015 4.3 Determining the Scope of the QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Scope of Combined ISO 9001 and IATF 16949 QMS - Non-automotive customers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S Validation Records - Very young QMS Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
E Sharepoint for ISO 13485 QMS for small IVD company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
GreatNate Where to get a KPI dashboard for QMS processes Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
mike10 QMS Update - Rev. up or start over? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
U QMS for medical device startups ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 25
B QMS question in regards to multiple medical devices/products and N/A activities Other Medical Device Related Standards 12
B Record Management - Does the QMS need to control templates of records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 17
D How do I promote my QMS? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
I Questions to ask when auditing for Organizational Leadership and Planning for the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C QMS Document Management Software Recommendations Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 15
R QMS Standard appilications on different Defense Sector Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
O ISO 9001 new certification advice request - Develop a QMS from scratch ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
L Clause 0.4 of ISO 9001 and EHS - Where should I stop the inclusion of EHS in my QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
R ISO 13485 QMS Implementation Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
B We need a QMS: file-based templates or software Other Medical Device Related Standards 23
H QMS Software Recommendation (US based, Hemp) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
D How to Identify the Risks and Opportunities required for QMS Processes? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
D Benefits of electronic QMS software Software Quality Assurance 5
D Why are pharma companies automating QMS systems? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 2
dgrainger QMS for device "use" in a Health Institution? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
R ISO 13485 and QMS related concepts Training - Small medical device startup company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
R Implementing Design History Documents/ Technical Documents in the QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
R Approvals on QMS Documents - ISO 13485 Requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
T AS9100D - Scope of QMS for New Company - Only Choosing a Function Subset Due to Management AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14