QMS (Quality Management System) on Intranet - Business Case

D

dvyws

Hi all

I've been tasked with producing a justification for putting the embryo QMS on to the corporate Intranet, rather than just using Word docs on the network. There are a lot of internal politics involved here, so I want to make the right decision, but with your vast collective knowledge, please could you recommend which way should we be gtoing, and why?

Thanks

david:thanx:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: QMS on Intranet - Business Case

Hi all

I've been tasked with producing a justification for putting the embryo QMS on to the corporate Intranet, rather than just using Word docs on the network. There are a lot of internal politics involved here, so I want to make the right decision, but with your vast collective knowledge, please could you recommend which way should we be gtoing, and why?

Thanks

david:thanx:
Welcome to The Cove Forums!! :bigwave: :bigwave:

Here is an idea.

Read the post and link.

Stijloor.

D

dvyws

Welcome to The Cove Forums!! :bigwave: :bigwave:

Read the post and link.

Stijloor.
Now THAT is interesting. I think we might have problems actually implementing it, due mainly to internal politics (I work for Local Government).

But I will be putting it up as an option for consideration.

david

D

dvyws

Hi David,

These examples of wiki use in government might help your case: USA, Australia.
Good luck!
Pancho
Many thanks for those.

I think I'm going to have to walk before I run, though, and initially at least concentrate on justifying the QMS being on the Intranet. Moving to a Wiki would be a future improvement...

david

Z

zekeQA

Do you have any experience with SharePoint? You might consider using this tool so that all employees have access. It really is just a very advanced database that looks and acts like a directory. So you get the internet capability with the directory structure.

Sharepoint allows for records to be automatically deleted when they expire. It includes routings for documents for approval, and a lot of other great tools.

It makes it slightly easier to get and control documents, but it is really not all that different. I don't think that there is a huge cost differential either way.

You indicate that there are varying opinions, what are they? Or is this normal politics?

M

mguilbert

Do you have any experience with SharePoint? You might consider using this tool so that all employees have access. It really is just a very advanced database that looks and acts like a directory. So you get the internet capability with the directory structure.

Sharepoint allows for records to be automatically deleted when they expire. It includes routings for documents for approval, and a lot of other great tools.

It makes it slightly easier to get and control documents, but it is really not all that different. I don't think that there is a huge cost differential either way.

You indicate that there are varying opinions, what are they? Or is this normal politics?

Where I work we use Sharepoint. There is a basic version which we use that is free. So they only cost would be setting it up where there are many good books to that or you can hire or use your IT dept. It is an MS office program and allows you to analyze data very easily. :2cents:

Peter Fraser

Trusted Information Resource
David

I would turn it the other way round - why on earth would you NOT use your Intranet for the QMS / BMS?

Whether you use Sharepoint or any other Doc Mgt software, or none at all, the published BMS can point to related documents, but if you design and structure the BMS well then you can make it easy to control the supporting documentation AND make it easy for users to find what they want.

One key question would be who will use the BMS, and for what? (OK, that's two...)

I am not sure that I would be using Word for the essential elements, though.

D

dvyws

David

I would turn it the other way round - why on earth would you NOT use your Intranet for the QMS / BMS?

Whether you use Sharepoint or any other Doc Mgt software, or none at all, the published BMS can point to related documents, but if you design and structure the BMS well then you can make it easy to control the supporting documentation AND make it easy for users to find what they want.

One key question would be who will use the BMS, and for what? (OK, that's two...)

I am not sure that I would be using Word for the essential elements, though.
Why would I not use it? can't think ofany reason why I wouldn't want to. but it's not me that has to be convinced. This place is truly amazing, it hasn't occurred to anyone (both within and outside the IT department) to leave the politics to the politicians, and actually do their day job.

I've used Sharepoint before, and we do have it, but for some reason (I suspect lack of knowledge of its capabilities) it isn't popular. That's a battle for the future, though.

We are actually fairly clear on who the system will be aimed at, and what they will use it for - the business directorates need to be very clear on our policies, and have visibility of at least our top level processes,l which is why I wanted to put it on to the intranet, so it;s available to them.

But bear in mind that this is only one of a dozen little bunfights going on here, and its by no means the most important to the participants - some of whom seem to be in "rearranging the decckchairs as the Titanic slips slowly below the waves" mode.

But things are actually improving, albeit very slowly!

Thanks for the input, though - much appreciated.

david

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi David, and welcome to the Cove :bigwave:
please could you recommend which way should we be gtoing, and why?
Certainly.

Apart from what has been said already: If you have as much as half a chance to go for a paperless system: Go for it! I am not talking so much about the actual documents as the handling of them. If your system (be it wiki, sharepoint or whatever) can handle the entire document handling process, you will be rid of more quite unnecessary hazzle than any digitally challenged person could ever imagine. Do what you can to make it so and thereby make all those working hours available for more productive tasks.

Good luck.

/Claes

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
John Predmore Explain Quality Management System (QMS) for the uninitiated ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
T IATF 16949 Quality Management System (QMS) Scope Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
A QMS (Quality Management System) for Logistic Agency ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
D Where does the QMS (Quality Management System) fit in your organization? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
P What is a QMS (Quality Management System), really? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
0 Feedback on proposed restructure of Quality Management System (QMS) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
K The differences between ISO 9001 vs a QMS (Quality Management System) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
F How to set-up a Dual Company QMS (Quality Management System) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
A Software Tools for managing a QMS (Quality Management System) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
L Processes required for the Quality Management System (QMS) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
Q Where to include the SIPOC results in QMS (Quality Management System)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
C Shortcomings of Compliance Focus Quality Management System (QMS) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
S QMS (Quality Management System) and Calibration Procedure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
M Building an AS9100 QMS (Quality Management System) AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 21
J Difference between Management System and QMS (Quality Management System) General Auditing Discussions 5
J Supplier Quality Management System (QMS) Audit - Formal Documented QMS does not exist ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
B Where do policies fit in the setting up of a Quality Management System (QMS)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
S Marketing Process as part of QMS (Quality Management System)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
C How do you measure the Effectiveness of a QMS (Quality Management System) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 34
S Including Product Trade-Ins in our Quality Management System (QMS) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
O QMS (Quality Management Systems) Team Structure & Responsibilities ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
W Sustaining a TS16949 QMS (Quality Management System) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
Y Training on the Basics of a QMS (Quality Management System) for ISO 13485 Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
Marc Definition QMS - Quality Management System - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
J Sitting Back and Reflecting on ISO 9001 QMS (Quality Management System) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
R BMS Vs QMS (Business Management Vs Quality Management System) AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
J Building the QMS (Quality Management System): Getting Started Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 16
G Requirements for Implementing an ISO 9001:2008 Quality Management System (QMS) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
L Definition Quality Management System (QMS) as per ISO 9000:2005 - Definition of Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
V ISO 9001 QMS (quality management system) for MBA College ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
N Help a newbie to develop a QMS (Quality Management System) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 50
Q QMS (Quality Management System) Fundamentals Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
G Must the QMS Management Representative be part of the quality department? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 23
Pancho Interesting Discussion Using a Wiki to implement a Quality Management System (QMS) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 271
O QMS (Quality Management System) in a Project Implementation Organisation Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
I Developing Quality Objectives for a Quality Management System (QMS) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
K Quality Management System (QMS) Echo Training or Refresher ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
P Creating a New QMS (Quality Management System) from Old AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
M Evaluating my QMS (Quality Management System) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
Q Writing a QMS (Quality Management System) Manual from Scratch Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 2
R ERP/MRP system as part of the QMS (Quality Management System) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
F Training Employees on the QMS (Quality Management System) Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
Q How can I make the QMS (Quality Management System) interesting to employees? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 38
B When is a QMS not a "Quality" Management System? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
T QMS (Quality Management System) for a business support organisation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
K Quality Management System (QMS) audit checklist needed General Auditing Discussions 3
F Quality Management System vs. Effects of Local Culture on Implementing a QMS Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 22
P How to Assess the Effectiveness of the QMS (Quality Management System) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
L What TYPES of documents are in your QMS (Quality Management System)? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
D Inform Customer of Changes to QMS (Quality Management System)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2