QMS (Quality Management System) vs. Process Improvement Framework

F

farahmalik13

Dear All,

What is the difference between Quality Management System vs. Process Improvement Framework?

If a Quality Management System (QMS) is a system that outlines the policies and procedures necessary to improve and control the various processes that will ultimately lead to improved business performance then what is a process improvement framework? Do they both differ or complement each other? Or is that one subsumes the other or is a pre-requisite for the other?

Regards,
Farah Malik.

apestate

Quite Involved in Discussions
A "Quality Management System" usually refers to formalized management that is based on the ISO 9000 quality management system standard. ISO 9000 is a holistic management regimen that is built on a process improvement framework.

ISO 9000 is built upon Plan, Do, Check, Act.

Six Sigma is built upon Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve, Control.

However, I don't know that you would call Six Sigma a "quality management system." I really believe that's reserved to ISO 9000.

Welcome to The Cove.

F

farahmalik13

QMS vs. Process Improvement Framework

Thank you for your reply.

Would I stand correct if I say the following:

QMS is not a process improvement framework to start with; however having a good QMS in place ensures continuous improvement having inherent ability for establishing a process improvement infrastructure to build upon for future quality initiatives.

It can be used as a stepping stone for organizations which do not have a quality infrastructure in place. Introduction and implementation of ISO for example, paves the road for getting accustomed to a process culture within the organization, which can later be aligned to other process improvement initiatives.

Process improvement framework on the other hand is a collection of good industry practices which when implemented ensures continuous improvement through process optimization whether it is based on PDCA or DMAIC.

Let me know what you think.

Regards,
Farah Malik.

apestate

Quite Involved in Discussions
Farah

You said correctly that a quality management system subsumes the process improvement framework.

This is not necessary of every quality management system. Quality systems in the past were as simple as documented, formalized management of quality control. Gage calibration, product labeling, approval, nonconforming product procedures, and basic day-to-day management of quality problems were the focus of quality management.

Mainly since ISO 9001:2000, the quality management system has included the PDCA process improvement framework. While management of quality problems is included as a necessity, the focus is on process perspective and quality improvement. This scope results in a new, broader quality management system. It is still a documented, formalized management system, but includes a process improvement framework to start with.

Quality management has been modernizing to build quality into products and constantly evolve. Therefore, modern quality management systems are built around a process improvement framework.

It is true that there are many different frameworks for process improvement, but they are all similar. The difference is in the discipline applied to improving a process. Statistics, reducing variation, management, zero defects, or combinations of all these are common veins in process improvement.

A QMS is standardized, documented, formalized management.

A process improvement framework is an application of quality disciplines to improving a repetitive or continual process.

Top Bottom