QMS Realignment after business splits into 2 different companies

Company X with multiple manufacturing locations and remote support for Sales, Purchasing, SQE and Quality planning are splitting into 2 separate legal entities, Company X will be parent to Company Y and will house all manufacturing locations, Purchasing, SQE and Quality Planning while company Y scope is Sales and distribution. Would it be appropriate to list both companies as remote support to each other for the activities they do or would one have to split the two businesses into two separate QMS? Company X will "ship" product electronically in a shared ERP system to Company Y who will then invoice the customer. Product produced by Company X will be labeled as Company Y. Open to any recommended approaches.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

darkopsghost

Starting to get Involved
Your QMS is your QMS. It is how you decide it should be as long as you do it per the Standard in which you work to and as long as it fulfills your Customer requirements.

I don't think I would have two separate QMS. I would just depict how they interact with other entities within your corporation. When audited, that's what they will be looking at, that and the Standard and those Customer nuances. Most Audit Plans will ask the Number of Locations anyway.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
I welcome Sidney to correct me, but I don't think two different legal entities can share a certificate and combining them into one QMS would be problematic where resources and management reviews are concerned.

darkopsghost

Starting to get Involved
I don't think two different legal entities can share a certificate and combining them into one QMS would be problematic where resources and management reviews are concerned.
I missed that in the original thread. My Bad!

If the one has passed scrutiny in the past, I would definitely use it as an example moving forward. Too bad...also means an additional cost for certification and even with the best QMS, first time approvals can be grueling.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
I welcome Sidney to correct me, but I don't think two different legal entities can share a certificate and combining them into one QMS would be problematic where resources and management reviews are concerned.
it has been done. The certification relates to the quality system; I agree having more than one organization listed in the certificate looks odd and the lines of responsibility, accountability and authority need to be carefully identified, but there are no prohibitions in 17021-1 for a certificate to list more than one organization name.

it has been done. The certification relates to the quality system; I agree having more than one organization listed in the certificate looks odd and the lines of responsibility, accountability and authority need to be carefully identified, but there are no prohibitions in 17021-1 for a certificate to list more than one organization name.
I have run across a few so I know this is factual. I can think of two examples and in both of them they wanted two company names for marketing purposes but they both had one quality management system.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Watchcat When to begin putting together postmarket production QMS for a mobile app? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 13
B QMS Functional Safety Checklist ISO 26262 - Road vehicles – Functional safety 0
D Proof QMS compliance for class I ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A Need career advice on QMS & HSE (No hands on experience) Career and Occupation Discussions 6
M Sharing QMS Documents with Customers Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
M Options when MSA acc. to VDA 5 is NOK (Qms > 30%) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
G One-person QMS - possible? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 18
A SaaS SaMD - Impact QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S ISO9001 QMS: Quality Manual Examples & Templates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
K Is implementing Electronic Signatures a Significant Change to the QMS? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
qualprod Can a consultant be audited instead of QMS responsible? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S Do you follow your QMS for non-device software features? Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 4
Ed Panek How to address a QMS Entry Error ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
D Digital Healthcare - QMS requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
BeaBea QMS/ Training Management Software Service Industry Specific Topics 4
R QMS for Medical products & Pharmaceutical Drugs in one facility Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
C First Round of QMS Internal Audits - Ethical Dilemma Internal Auditing 10
N Handling B-Grade Products within the QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
M Supplied Goods out of QMS / DtS? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Can outsourced processes be excluded from QMS scope? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
H QMS ISO 13485:2016 - ISO14971 IEC60304 etc ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S Implementation of QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
M Correcting Electronic QMS Records AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
M Are We Ready for a QMS? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 8
I QMS monitoring, measurement, analysis and evaluation requirement - Template ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
ebrahim QMS as per ISO 13485, Clause 4.2 Requirements for regulatory purposes for Medical Devices Authorized Representatives. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
J Quality Objective for QMS prior to Certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
V Remote QMS Coordinator Position Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 6
A How to prepare QMS manual for purchasing department Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 5
GreatNate Master Control QMS software Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
GreatNate Anyone using the Intellect QMS software? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
A Electronic forms QMS Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
supadrai Remote Opportunity - Large Scale Glove Factory QMS / RA / Legal Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
C Retention of QMS Plans and Reports ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Q New QMS...Old Projects ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
JoCam Certified QMS for MDR - Class I medical device manufacturers EU Medical Device Regulations 8
M ERP / QMS related software standards for Validation IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 6
T Help with BS EN ISO - IEC 80079-34 2020 (Explosive atmospheres QMS) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
R Gap Audit Aerospsace and Rail QMS Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 0
S AS9120 Store QMS packages AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
J Disappointed in leadership buy-in to QMS Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 68
E ISO 13485 QMS certification as a Supplier ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
T How you ensure that QMS is effective and efficient? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J Implementing an ISO 13485 QMS Software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
D ISO 9001 certificate issued by QMS International for 10 years - legit? Registrars and Notified Bodies 17
S Is QMS like a set of rules and regulations that a company follows? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
B Timeframe for updating QMS / transitioning from ISO 14971:2012 to ISO 14971:2019 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 10
W Using tailoring guidelines to tailor a QMS procedure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
D Offsite storage of QMS documents ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
L Exemption from the Regulation COVID-19 and QMS requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 2