Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

QMS - Selling the idea to the CEO!

G

GaryBC

Hi guys

I recently started a new job where my brief is to implement a QMS to ISO9001.

Not a problem in itself - until I discovered that the initiative for such a QMS has come from a middle manager and the Top Table are totally unaware.

So now it's not just my job to implement a QMS, I first have to sell the idea to the grown-ups and get their buy in (I'll be going straight to 9001:2015 - where the words "Top management ... take accountability..." now mandate their buy-in).

So (and now we get to the point) does anybody have a slide show presentation which unequivocally demonstrates the benefits of having a QMS (one that they will share with me, that is)? Probably focussed on the financial benefits as that's the language they understand.

Thanks,
Gaz

L

lk2012

hi Gaz,
I know what you're talking about. Our top level proclaim that 'maintaining registration to TS' is one of the key items on our Quality Policy yet try giving them a non-conformance for not doing the appraisals or having job descriptions. You book an internal audit and you're treated like a total nuisance and a timewaster.:nopity:
Anyway, rant over.
How about using some data from your production / customer complaints to demonstrate the need for QMS? When we introduced tracking of cost of poor quality (and we're only Sales here), the penny dropped (excuse the bad pun).

Hope this helps.
P.S. remember Quality is not a popularity contest. Good luck!:cfingers:

Lil

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Gaz,

You have to make this initiative their idea. It may be that you'll have to show how their management system is essential to fulfill their mission.

You can then make sure their management system conforms to ISO 9001. Focus on what your organization does to add value for customers and on reducing the costs of fulfilling the mission.

I would not start by attempting to sell certification. Leave that to your customers.

Good luck,

John

C

crolen10

Hi Gaz,
I understand and appreciate the challenges you face. Sometimes organisations develop and implement systems to satisfy accreditation criteria that serves the sole purpose of securing future contracts and nothing more. Successful application of the system in everyday practice to improve business and quality outcomes sometimes gets lost in translation with no responsibility in following and implementing the procedures.
I have found the best way forward is to evidence a loss of profits due to not following and leading the way in enforcing QMS procedures. Additional costs because of scrapping or rework and retentions held by clients due to non conformances in production has held some weight. If upper management can make the connection that by not following their Quality Mangement System Procedures they could potentially jeopardise their reputation for future contracts or final payment in current contracts they may reconsider the benefits of their QMS. Slow process :)
Good luck Gaz

G

GaryBC

Hi guys

All good stuff - and thanks.

Thing is; I've got loads of examples of things which the business sees as concerns for going forwards but it's the presentation of them I need help with.
I've got one 30 minute slot to make this stick so it's got to work. It's unlikely I'll get another chance if I blow it.

Gaz

L

lk2012

hi Gaz,
try to make a punchy presentation with the numbers really visible. Sometimes listing all the pros and cons and the cost against them helps too.
Best of luck
Lil

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted
Hi guys

I recently started a new job where my brief is to implement a QMS to ISO9001.
{snip}

the initiative for such a QMS has come from a middle manager

I first have to sell the idea to the grown-ups and get their buy in
You've got to wonder who would be the better salesman...

The new guy (you) that the Top Mgmt don't know
or
The established manager (your boss) that they trusted enough to invest in hiring you.

Put together the draft sales pitch, but while doing so you may be well served planning your approach together with the guy who's idea it actually was (your boss).
Chances are he didn't get to hire you without buy in from others...who are they? Will they support the sales pitch?

In my experience, a group of managers saying "We need this" rings a whole lot louder and truer than a new employee saying "You need this".

Top Bottom