QS9000 to TS16949 Transition - How difficult was it, REALLY??

S

SteelWoman

I've got some folks at the corporate level who seem to be (in my humble opinion) freaking out about switching from QS9000 to TS16949 - there's talk of massive re-training efforts, lots of schooling, etc. I've actually read TS16949 in all it's glory and while there are certainly some challenges I'm just not seeing that it's going to be THAT big a transition.

So.... what has YOUR experience been, those of you who have made/are making the transition? Am I blind to what's coming or is corp crying wolf?

M

M Greenaway

Steel

We are QS9000 certified and currently going through ISO9001:2000 transition. I personally see TS16949 as a pure amalgamation of QS9000 and ISO9001:2000, hence by complying with both standards for a period we will by default be compliant to TS16949 - to which we will transfer at some point (Dec 2006 probably).

L

Laura M

Steelwoman,

I agreed with you upon reading the TS standard. I admit - I didn't attend any expensive classes. But what I really don't get is the IAOB mandated days. I'm currently working with a company who was told to be QS - but I directed them to ISO9001:2000. They still think TS is the way to go as a replacement of QS. They are small - and Tier 2. 36 people total. In order for them to be TS (no design) they are required to endure 4.5 Man days of audit. I can't fathom what the auditor will do for 4.5 days at this company. When I asked the registrar for relief, they said that it is not allowed by IAOB. So yeah - now I'm nervous - possibly like your corporate folks, and I now 100% believe that ISO 9001 is the way to go for any Tier 2. For this particular client, the difference was 8K for year 1 and 3K ongoing vs 4K for year one and 1K ongoing.

S

Sam

IMO, Tne major hurdle is the "mindset" of organization as it pertains to the process approach vs the element or procedure approach.
Before atempting to implement ISO/TS I suggest doing one of the two following irems:
- Bring in a consultsant for one day to explain and provide examples of what the process approach is and what it is about, or,
- send one person (with decision making authority) from each department to a seminar on process definitions.

The major difference between QS and TS is that TS requires that processes be defined. There are suttle differences in the content of the standard vs the spec. There are some major differences in the QS VS TS customer specific requirements.
Some things (but not all) that an auditor will look for;
- Customer oriented processes (COP's)
- Process definition; inputs, outputs, activities
- The seven required procedures,
- Process linkage,
- Evidence that customer specific requirements have been reviewed and implemented as required.
- Process measures,
- Process objectives.

N

Nat?lia

QS TS is not the problem.
TS is not really a nightmare to QS managers.
Just lab points are really more requests but ... in our audit they are not very pressed.

The problem is to pass to process management. And the time is going out.

Somebody have a schema to based the processes in the automobile industry?

:eek:

Top Bottom