QS9000's New Dock Audit Requirement

S

Scott Knutson

Lydon -
I would think that would suffice based on the information I received last week (see prior comment).

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
Just an F.Y.I. (my 2 cents)

Auditing is not inspection as most of you know. A Dock Audit is essentially a Product Audit performed in Shipping. The general purpose for this type of audit is to provide additional (not primary) assurance that the product being shipped is done in accordance with Customer requirements and with the Customer's expected quality level (as Lyndon put it, as the customer expects to see the goods).

Product auditing utilizes appraisal (inspection and testing) to determine a few things about the process used to manufacture a product. For instance, does the inspection and testing used in the manufacturing and packaging of a product meet specification? Have these checks provided adequate assurance and are known to be effective? The idea here is to point your focus up-stream. All steps need to be carried out precisely to the Customer's specifications (production and packaging) and requirements (packing, shipping and delivery). You may want to set your Dock Audit checklists to cover these both. As I see it, 'check items' for specifcations will assure you that on-line inspection and packaging are performing adequately. 'Check items' for requirements will assure you that shipping is performing adequately (correct labels are used, correct parcel carrier, etc.). Remember that a Product Audit does more than re-appraise the product, it asks you if the process control planning is effective too.

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin
I was e-mailed this. The TEXT IN ALL CAPS is GM's actual text:

----------snippo----------

Marc,
This is the interpretation from GM. My concern is that even if they are incorrect in their intent, they may decide to cast it in stone and consider it a GM Customer Requirement, which the Registrar would be obliged to observe. The following is from what GM wrote us:

DOCK AUDITS:
IN ADDITION, AS A SUPPLIER TO MID/LUX AND GENERAL MOTORS, YOU ARE EXPECTED TO COMPLY WITH QS9000. RECENT REVISIONS TO QS9000 REQUIRES SUPPLIERS TO HAVE A FORMALIZED DOCK AUDIT PROCESS ESTABLISHED. THE INTENT OF THIS PROCESS IS TO AUDIT MATERIAL THAT IS READY TO SHIP TO VALIDATE THE PRODUCTION CONTROL PLAN IS EFFECTIVE AND MATERIAL CONFORMS TO REQUIREMENTS. THE AUDITS SHOULD BE RANDOM AND THE FREQUENCY DEPENDENT ON QUALITY PERFORMANCE. OBVIOUSLY, THE RESULTS OF THE AUDIT SHOULD CORRELATE TO WHAT YOUR CUSTOMERS ARE FINDING.
AS WE CONTINUE TO STRIVE TO EXCEED OUR CUSTOMERS' EXPECTATIONS AND BE THE LEADER IN OUR MARKET SEGMENT, YOUR ROLE IN SUPPORTING OUR EFFORTS IS CRITICAL FOR US BOTH. YOUR COOPERATION WILL BE APPRECIATED.

D

Deb Weissler

For many of us grappling with QS-9000 requirements for Dock Audits, we are also having to comply with VDA6.1 requirements for Product Audits as well. VDA6.1 (European automotive manufacturers' equivalent to QS-9000) Product Audit requirements are VERY specific and QS-9000 may likely follow suit in later revisions.
VDA6.1 defines a Product Audit as a planned audit activity that takes place after the completion of the final production stage, from product that is packed and considered "customer ready". The goal is to check a small number of pieces, very comprehensibly, on normal delivery-ready product. An audit plan, checklist and schedule must be established, and the Product Auditor must be independent of the product producer. The audit is not just a visual verification of packaging, labeling, etc. but must be based upon dimensional and functional quality characteristics that can be evaluated statistically. With this in mind, our quality system is built around VDA6.1 requirements for product audits knowing that we will then satisfy the less specific QS-9000 dock audit requirements.

Top Bottom