Qualification of a Temperature Controlled Unit have to be empty?

PeterLe

Involved In Discussions
Hello everyone.

I'm currently trying to qualify (IQ/OQ) a cold room in our facility. However, we've been using this unit to store product even though it is not qualified and now we are qualifying it retrospectively.

There is product stored in the cold room, however, the owner of the cold room will not remove product because we have no other unit to store the product that is currently in cold room.

My question is, can we still qualify the unit even with product stored in the unit? I was thinking that having product inside the cold room would be a worse case scenario compared to an empty chamber because it'll stress the unit harder to have it hold a certain temperature.

Would love people's thoughts on this. Thank you in advance!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Worst case scenario would be when you fill up the cool room with warm products.

IQ should be based on the cool room's manufacturer's specifications and instructions. There's no one magic formula.

I'm not an expert on cool rooms but I would imagine there must be at least one published standard for their establishment, commissioning and operation. That's what I'd look for.

Cheers,
Ronen.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I can't answer for sure, but I would think this would be like validating a temperature chamber - You do it with the expected load, not empty.

BoardGuy

Quite Involved in Discussions
The very first place to start would be your written requirement for storage and a little time thinking about its application. Does the room require uniform temperature or is it acceptable to have differing temperature zones as long as the product remains within the tolerance band of the required temperature.

Second place to look would be any specifications associated with the product requiring cold room storage such as ANSI, AMS, or ASTM, etc. These specifications will sometime define a storage requirement and then reference an associated requirement to the storage equipment. Another source could also be the manufacture of the product or product associations like the Rubber Manufactures Association (RMA).

Also don’t over think the qualification because it will be retrospective, so:

Installation Qualification: Review equipment manufactures requirements for installation of the equipment from the user’s manual and write these as the requirements that must be verified. Second part of IQ would be calibration of temperature controllers, thermocouples, monitoring equipment etc.

Operational Qualification: Because this is a retrospective qualification it could just as easily be the current “as found condition” with mapping of the temperature zone. Again OQ would be based on your needs of the organization, your written requirements and maybe published specification.

Imecoli

Starting to get Involved
Funny, I was just having this discussion for a small refrigerator, the vendor wants to conduct the PQ with the unit empty and full. To me the full unit will not really cover the robustness since the materials will help it maintain the temperature and I'm not really seeing airflow as a concern in a small unit. As far as the walk in unit being full, the airflow maybe depending on the placement, but then you are qualifying what size materials and locations they can be placed in correct? At my previous company we had 4 full cold rooms with in-process and finished goods. We wrote a note to file to our validation that the room will be mapped with product in it and the ISO 13485 auditor didn't have a problem with it at all. We never had the FDA come in, the product was an ASR IVD with ISO and FDA registrations.

Anyone else have thought on this?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Qualification question - ISO 13485 Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
E Qualification for non gmp service providers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
V Process, component or full product re-qualification: leaded to unleaded solder Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 8
DuncanGibbons Understanding the applicability of Design of Experiments to the IQ OQ PQ qualification approach Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
Y Examples of TRB Reports for MIL-PRF-31032 Qualification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
Jane's Like-for-like critical raw material change qualification - type of testing/ number of lots required ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
K PQ validation qualification - Asked to write a PQ protocol ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
dinaroxentool Question about qualification as a medical device or accessory in Europe EU Medical Device Regulations 2
T Qualification testing of Lead acid batteries Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
Z Qualification of AzureDevOps in Gxp Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 12
E Equipment Qualification - IQ/OQ per ISO 13485:2016 section 7.5.6 Process validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
D Determining of sample size for 'Operational Qualification' AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 3
B VDA 6.3 Qualification as Process Auditor training course and exam VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
D Performance Qualification per GHTF Guidance Other Medical Device Related Standards 12
M Informational EU – Guidance on Qualification and Classification of Software in Regulation (EU) 2017/745 – MDR and Regulation (EU) 2017/746 – IVDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
dgrainger Informational MDCG 2019-11: Guidance on Qualification and Classification of Software in Regulation (EU) 2017/745 – MDR and Regulation (EU) 2017/746 – IVDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
H How to prepare Performance Qualification (PQ) for autoclave General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D ISO 13485 - Equipment validation , qualification Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 6
DuncanGibbons Qualification vs Certification in an Aerospace context AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
Z Operational Qualification for Injection Molding Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
S AIAG CQI Auditor Qualification and 3rd Party Certification Requirements General Auditing Discussions 2
D FDA Biomarker Qualification Program - Has anyone prepared an application? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
R Qualification of Distributors such as McMaster-Carr and Digikey to Medical Device Companies ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
xcanals_tecno-med.es Qualification of sterilization indicators as medical devices with the EU MDR 2017/745 EU Medical Device Regulations 7
Z Training Qualification Matrix for ISO 9001:2015 Audit General Auditing Discussions 8
S Internal Auditing for API Spec Q1 - auditor qualification requirements Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 6
J Qualification of a Software as a Medical Device (SaMD) guidance under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 9
I Compressed air system qualification and 1 micron particle analysis Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
S Medical Device Supplier Component Qualification Service Industry Specific Topics 0
O Clean room performance qualification (pq) - How many times can I do each test? Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
K Is Mold qualification / process validation always required? Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
Rameshwar25 IATF ADP - How to proceed for new auditor qualification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
S Do suppliers of prototyping components need to undergo supplier qualification? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
P Qualification of weights used for curing epoxy Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
M Qualification of Freezer with IQ and PQ but no OQ Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
S Supplier Qualification - How do we determine which suppliers to qualify? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
J Installation Qualification (IQ) and Operational Qualification (OQ) for Laser Marking 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
C Qualification of Evaluator - Clinical Evaluation Report MEDDEV 2.7.1 Rev 04 CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
J Simple supplier evaluation qualification process form that includes Risk Assessment Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
D What should an ISO 14644 Clean Room PQ (Performance Qualification) look like? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
R Qualification of Evaluator - Clinical Evaluation Report MEDDEV 2.7.1 Rev 04 Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
O AS9100 AQMS AEA Qualification Audits 4 Full QMS AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
C MSA for Non Manufacturing - Design Validation, Characterization and Qualification Lab Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
L Heated Sealed Packages - Sample Size for OQ (Operational Qualification) and PQ Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 11
Z Is PPAP Re-qualification needed in case of not quoted dimension change? APQP and PPAP 4
S Qualification Builds & Process Changes (AS9102 - First Article Inspection) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
A Tracking Calibration and Qualification in an MS Excel Spreadsheet Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 6
P FDA has just released the forms for "Small Business Qualification and Certification" Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
P Vision Measurement System - Software Program Qualification Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 6
C Process Qualification Sample size Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6