Quality as a part of Upper / Senior Management

E

Edith

Is there any quality professionals out there that are of the senior / upper management level?

Do you feel that it is important?

Why?

The reason I'm asking is, with the new standard "Management Committment" is a biggie.(As we all know) but can a Management Represenative and/or Quality professional be sitting on the senior management level actually help the company move forward strategically in change/improvement and developments then if they were at, say a middle management level?

Look forward to your comments on this!!!!
:rolleyes:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J
Edith,

I work for an organization of about 85 people. Our management structure is fairly flat, and the President/Owner is accessable to everyone. As the quality manager and QMR for the company I am as near to "senior staff" as we get.

Your question is a difficult one. I think that yes a quality professional can be a valuable asset at the senior level. One of the issues I see in our profession and its tasks is that, even today, many people don't have a clear idea if what we do. (of course that ain't all bad:vfunny: ) The mere presence of a quality rep as senior management says something about the companies committment.

As far as the ability to have significant input, it will depend mostly on the individual. I think we can bring to senior management methods of measurement, and evaluation to help measure company progress. Ideas and directions under consideration can be reviewed immediately for how they will fit with the overall quality goal etc.

The QM brings out of these meetings, a thorough understanding of company goals and direction, and a sense of ownership.

I am sure others will have better input, as I am sitting here at a very bleary eyed 5:30am, but I hope this helps

James

H

HFowler

Edith,

Like James, I work for a similar size company and our org. structure is fairly flat. I am staff, reporting to the President. So as James said, "about as senior as you can get."

I interpret your question as "can a Management Representative / be as effective in strategic development and improvement if he is middle management and not senior management.

If I have misinterpreted your question, please correct me.

IMHO, the amount of respect a Mgt. Rep. has will determine, to a large degree, his effectiveness. A position as senior management without the respect of peers will not guarantee that person's effectiveness. I think a Mgt. Rep. needs responsibility, authority, respect and cooperation to be effective.

Hope this helps.
Best Regards,
Hank Fowler
:)

F

Fire Girl

I work for a very small (maybe 24 people) company. The managment is all familiy and pretty much a flat line (literally). Anyway, I am the management rep from no where. I look after the system and give people crap when they need. I personally think that if our management rep came from senior management then nothing really would get done. But what can you do. I think it doesn't matter if your management rep comes from the cleaning staff or the board of directors, if there isn't management committment there just isn't.

Sorry for the bitterness.

:truce:

FG

E

Edith

Management Committement

Very interesting input, thank you for sharing your comments with me.

Fire Girl!!!!!!! Thumbs UP!

JodiB

Still plugging along
I'm at the "middle management" level, if you could call it that. We have a very flat org too, with only VP's, some managers, and then small administrative staff (each dept. has one). Then there are the offshore guys, but no one ever really sees them. Their manager is the only one who really "manages" anybody.

Our QMS management rep is a VP; not me. And I report to him. I have no real authority here to do anything, since everyone else is either a VP or a manager also. In our case, it was essential for a VP to be the rep so that he could fight with the other VP's.

I feel that more would be accomplished if my position, while maybe still called a "manager", was given the authority to tell people that they had to do what I say. As it is, they essentially have the option of blowing me off. Which happens regularly and is slowing us down.

So to sum up, I think that it is crucial that whoever is given the responsibility of the system, also has the authority to make it happen. Which essentially is going to be upper-mgt whether the title is there or not.

A

Aaron Lupo

JMHO, as long as 'Upper Mgmt' gives the Mgmt Rep. the authority to 'make it happen' and actually supports the Mgmt rep. then I don't think it makes a difference if they are Upper, Lower Mgmt or even the janitor. I

Paul Simpson

Trusted Information Resource
Is it me? I followed this thread because I'm interested in how people are getting on with the new ISO 9001.2000 requirements for Top Management involvement. We seem to be having problems getting senior managers at MD Level (U.K.) and V.P. Level (U.S.) to buy into the quality system thing as a whole. How are we going to get them to do things that the new ISO asks of them? Providing leadership for the business in Quality, getting hands dirty etc. I'm advising clients and talking to the Quality Manager and I'm telling him to get his M.D. on side or there is a good chance that the assessment will fail without evidence of the Top Managers supporting the system.

On the down side I get the rumours that certification bodies are saying "as before, guys" and letting the Top Managers duck the audit. This isn't the idea and maybe us Quality Professionals are ducking the responsibility that ISO has built into the new standard of making Top managers take part in the systems. Having said that we as professionals and the auditors in particular need to be able to speak the M.D. / V.P.'s language. I hope I can but some auditors I've come across I wouldn't let near the boardroom!

What do you think?

E

Edith

Hi Paul,

I share your concerns, especially after our 9000-2000 audit in November. The external auditor spent a day with upper mangement alone. (It was only a two day audit, so that should tell you something!) Our Senior Canadian Management team consists of 7 VPS including the MD. I have only about 3 on side including the MD. In my manual/procedures I make him responsible/accountable to getting his National Management committed. Of course I am there as a resource. They need to hear it from him not me! The good news is, he is very committed and making each of them accountable through pay rises and bonus distribution. (That should get them wanting to get their hands dirty.)

It's crazy, but I want the registrar to identify the weakness if it exists. Sometimes, this is the only way you can get the message across.

Talk to you soon!
Edith

:bigwave:

WALLACE

Quite Involved in Discussions
Upper Management as part of the quality function?

This is a tough one, I have experienced being in place where executive management was in charge of the organizational quality function, The paradox that exists here is that, If upper management have organizational control of the QF, Independence and objectivity no longer is as strong as it would be if an independent quality manager or rep was in charge.
The QF, IMO should be given the organizational independence and freedom because upper management basicaly, is in the business of managing the core organizational inputs and outputs that equate to profit. It's an extremely efficient and effective quality manager that can achieve complete buy-in from upper management. I note that Edith is probably on the right track with her use of CRM/QMS integration.
Wallace.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DuncanGibbons Should the requirements FAA/EASA Part 21 be addressed within the QMS and AS9100D quality manual? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
Marc Problem with 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) sub-forum link - 2 May 2019 Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 1
Sidney Vianna AS9100 News PPAP in the Aerospace Sector - What is it? AS9145 - Requirements for Advanced Product Quality Planning and Production Part Approval Process AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
Q 21 CFR Part 111 - Requirements for Dietary Supplement Manufacturing Water Quality Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
R 21 CFR Part 820.186 - Types of Quality System Records Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
Q Internal Audit of Product Quality Complaint System (21 CFR Part 820) Customer Complaints 9
V Data Quality and Data Integrity - Audit Trail - Part 11 - WHO - FDA - MHRA - PDA US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
S Is a Quality Manual part of a 510k Submission? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
S Supplier Quality with Prototyping Parts with no Part Number or Drawings ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
J Quality Standard as part of our version of PPAP - Suggestions APQP and PPAP 1
M AQL (Acceptable Quality Level) for Mixed Part Defect IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
D Quality Management Systems - Differences between ISO 13485, 21 CFR Part 820 & ICH Q10 Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
R Quality Plan Requirements - Per Part or per Assembly Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 15
S Marketing Process as part of QMS (Quality Management System)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
U New Part 21.137 Quality Manual format example in Word format Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 5
M Setting Up a Quality Measurement System - Part of a strategic goal to improve quality Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
P Confusion on declared (part of the quality manual) and non-declared documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
G Must the QMS Management Representative be part of the quality department? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 23
G Quality Group Salaries as Percent of Sales (as part of the Cost of Quality) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 8
Ajit Basrur 21 CFR Part 820 - QUALITY SYSTEM REGULATION 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
I Must Quality Incoming fill the checksheet for checking the Supplier part, In ISO TS? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
W Quality System Record as required by CFR 21 Part 820.186. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
P Definition Dock-to-Stock Process based on Historical Quality Performance of a Part and Supplier Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 8
R ERP/MRP system as part of the QMS (Quality Management System) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
C Management Quality Audits as Part of Policy Deployment/Hoshin General Auditing Discussions 4
R FDA Part 820 Quality System Regulation - 820.198 Complaint files ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 20
J ISO 13485 Similarities to 21 CFR Part 210/211 (Pharmaceuticals) for Quality systems Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
B Quality Stand Down form - Part of a PPAP submission to Johnson Controls Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
M Part Time Quality - Am I the only one? Is Part Time Quality unusual? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
S Documents / Following Procedures - FDA 21 CFR Part 820 Quality System Regulation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 12
C Hourly Check Sheets, Waste of paper or integral part of quality system? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 29
M Cl. 5.6.1: Quality Objectives Review - Part of Management Review? Management Review Meetings and related Processes 4
P Quality Manual - Process Interactions - Two part process overview map Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 4
R ISO/TS16949, 8.2.1.1 Customer satisfaction - Delivered part quality performance IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
J Part Approval - Eliminating Incoming Quality Inspection by Customer Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
C Quality Records - PO's (Purchase Orders) - Life of part + 1 Year Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 8
D Are Supplier Quality Agreements Quality Records ? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
D Big companies suffer from quality management system? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
K Looking for a job as Quality Engineer Career and Occupation Discussions 2
B Two excellent examples of process capability analysis from Quality Magazine Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
Pau Calvo Quality Management process is mandatory in ISO9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
NDesouza No Quality Professional vs Having a Quality Professional Benchmarking 24
F Does anyone have an ESD quality/cooler talk to share? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
R Monitor production quality - Internal KPIs Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
U Examples of Quality Objectives for a Medtech start up ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M SemaTech SSQA Standardized Supplier Quality Assessment - my favorite tool ever Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
D Supplier Quality level category help - high level ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
A Quality engineering positions in US - question Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 1
R How would you work without a quality management system? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
P Conformity assessment based on a quality management system or production quality assurance EU Medical Device Regulations 3