Quality Assurance (QA) - Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow...

C

corollax

This year I celebrate my 10th year as (Snr) QA Engineer, so I think I’ll write something here. Looking back, QA was so different from what it is today. I remember back in the old days, QA is all mighty & powerful. Our existence makes everyone weak in the knees whenever we come by. We can slap anyone with a CAR without ever lifting an eyelid. We put up procedures and the way to go for everyone is COMPLY.

These days, the business concept has changed, focus is different, and managers are getting younger & more inexperience. QA is now construed more as a trouble-maker in the business process – we are considered a hindrance to the work flow. Raising a discrepancy now involves sweeping it up as well. Innovation is now the excuse for not complying with procedures. Heads now turn to QA for solutions to Production errors, customer complaints, and warranty problems, while everyone else continues with their lives.

It’s quite fortunate I’m adaptable to changes.

Ok, predictions of QA 10 years from now... Hmmm, QA serving coffee, snacks, shoe-shines, and other value-added services…?

Happy working all... :bigwave:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Interesting question and one that is difficult for me to see. "The future cloudy is"...sounds like something Yoda would say.

There will always be someone to deal with complaints and warranties and quality defects...whether or not it's a full time job is, well, up to the company to decide.

I forsee, however, a blending in the future...it's already happening. No longer are fields like Quality, Environment and Safety separate. They contain enough common ground to form the foundation of a Business Management System. I see them working in unison to learn, apply and enhance the tools and methodologies that will help an organization to not only improve but to innovate if they are so inclined.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
My experience is this. The days of the "QA Police" are pretty well over. Those companies that are designing quality into their products and processes are doing well, those that do not, limp along.

For me, the use of the quality tools has been extremely successful in my job. In a time of layoffs and budget reductions, my employer is becoming more fearful of me leaving than I am fearful of them telling me to leave. The money has been good. Using 75 year old methodologies I am able run circles around most of my detractors, and my detractors are fewer and fewer (with many notable ones having been caught by layoffs). It seems like at this point, the folks I supply charts have less time to tamper with the charts (can't you make it a pie chart? purple? vertical bars?) and see the need to get down to business and deal with the information.

C

chiuinggum - 2007

I tend to agreed gone are the days when QA is all mighty. We now dont even stop the line when there is quality issue....we need to ship more units to meet the numbers!!!!
Just how do QA drive quality? Production build, QA buy-off. QA caught defect. Production will rescreen. Less emphasis is given on addressing the root cause. Life goes on.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Steve Prevette said:
Using 75 year old methodologies I am able run circles around most of my detractors, and my detractors are fewer and fewer (with many notable ones having been caught by layoffs).
When he was 90+ years old, George Burns was asked about his ever-present cigars and told that it might be a good idea to quit smoking them. "When I was in my seventies," he replied, "three different doctors told me I had to quit smoking. Two of them are dead now, and the third has been coughing a lot lately."

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
I'm really disappointed to hear there is still a sizable portion of producers who "miss the point" Deming and so many others have made since World War II:
"the focus should be on prevention rather than detection"

What seems to have happened is these folks have willingly embraced the concept of reducing the frequency and importance of "detection" of nonconforming material, but haven't made the corresponding transfer to "prevention" of nonconforming material by embracing practices like
  1. Contract Review (does organization have capability and capacity to meet customer requirements?)
  2. FMEA - Failure Mode & Effects Analysis
  3. Root cause analysis (and subsequent Corrective/Preventive Action)
  4. Mistake proofing
  5. Internal audit
  6. Management review
  7. Customer survey and feedback
For forty years, I and hundreds of other Quality advocates have been running around preaching the Gospel, but the Devil seems to have gotten there first and poured wax in the ears of our audiences so they can't hear the message:
"Quality really does benefit the organization!"

Q

qualitygoddess - 2010

Yea -- what Wes said.

I for my part am trying to get to the future managers 120 students at a time. In my undergrad business class, I teach those 75 year old fundamentals (we just covered Deming and Juran's work the other day) to up and coming business students. I show them how easy it is to make those charts and graphs, and prove to them that making decisions base don data isn't painful (they do a work-related project). I challenge them to 'go forth and conquer', and teach others that quality improvement is the only certainty for survival in any type of business. I think I convince about half of them to keep their Memory Jogger II books.

It's like the tortoise and the hare. If we just keep plodding along, the right way will prevail.

R

ralphsulser

Regardless if we have been cops, coaches, pests,..we have always been teachers of the quality disciplines and how to use the quality tool box.
Some got it, some didn't, some ignored it, some embraced it.
If we have inspired a small percent over the last 40 years then it has been a battle worth the journey. I am amazed today at the number and knowledge of quality professionals. When I started using SPC nobody understood or appreciated the value until shown how to save $$. It is also amazes me that I was considered a quality and SPC guru in the businees I was employed in even now. Heck, I don't know, or forgot a lot of what is available.
It is great to see so many here from around the world deeply involved in improving quality and educating others of the benefits. :yes:

C

corollax

I started this post.

After all this years, I'm leaving quality, maybe it's for the time being, i don't know. I really don't like to buy snacks and drinks and serve coffee to auditors and customers anymore. Nobody's looking at root causes and things keep repeating itself. My philosophy of improving quality is not by entertaining auditors or customers, which the management preaches, although I know it's a necessary thing to do these days.

Good luck and happy working!

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
After all this years, I'm leaving quality, maybe it's for the time being, i don't know. I really don't like to buy snacks and drinks and serve coffee to auditors and customers anymore. Nobody's looking at root causes and things keep repeating itself. My philosophy of improving quality is not by entertaining auditors or customers, which the management preaches, although I know it's a necessary thing to do these days.
I hope you found a suitable and rewarding occupation. But, when you started this thread a few years ago, you wrote
I remember back in the old days, QA is all mighty & powerful. Our existence makes everyone weak in the knees whenever we come by. We can slap anyone with a CAR without ever lifting an eyelid. We put up procedures and the way to go for everyone is COMPLY.
Sorry, but that approach to quality would never be sustainable. The us versus them approach to quality will never win. NEVER.

At least, your predictions were quite right.
Ok, predictions of QA 10 years from now... Hmmm, QA serving coffee, snacks, shoe-shines, and other value-added services…?
Just keep in mind that your experience does not reflect the whole profession.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Quality assurance in Pharmacovigilance Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
F Risk for Quality Assurance Department in a Hospital - Hospital Incident Reporting ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
J Quality Assurance in China - Developing a quality management system for a California company Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
C Independence of DQA (Design Quality Assurance) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
Pancho Definition Quality Assurance Program - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 9
chris1price MDR Conformity Assessment for a Class 2a device - Production Quality Assurance EU Medical Device Regulations 2
L Definition Mini Builds - Quality Assurance Terms and Definitions Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
Marc Adventures in Design Quality Assurance - Two-week-old Pixel 2 XL displays World News 0
P Quality Assurance and Quality Control - Which clauses of ISO 9001 deal with each? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A KPI for Quality Assurance Team in a Service Oriented Industry Service Industry Specific Topics 8
C I'm starting my Career in Quality Assurance Career and Occupation Discussions 8
E Employees in Quality Assurance Jobs Career and Occupation Discussions 2
Y Outsourced aerospace work quality assurance? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
R Quality Assurance Assessment of the F-35 Lightning II Program AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
M Quality Assurance in an Architectural firm Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
M QAM (Quality Assurance Matrix) for a sterilization process Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
S Quality Assurance Plan template for CNC Milling Industry AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
A Career Path Options for Quality Assurance Engineer in Roads & Infrastructure Field Career and Occupation Discussions 2
C Quality Assurance Manager ? Next Steps? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
S Quality Assurance Manager involvement in Management Review AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
R Quality Assurance/Quality Control in Education Consultacy Service Industry Specific Topics 14
E Use of Certified Reference Materials for Quality Assurance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
Q Quality Objectives for Quality Control and Quality Assurance functions AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
R Using Exact Words from ISO 9001:2008 in Level 1 Document (Quality Assurance Manual) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
S Implementing a Quality Assurance Program Service Industry Specific Topics 3
J Appliance Manufacturing - Quality Assurance Mentor Wanted Career and Occupation Discussions 13
A Incoming Material Quality Assurance Cell Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
M Bachelor Degrees in Quality Management or Quality Assurance Career and Occupation Discussions 3
M How to be a good Quality Assurance Engineer Career and Occupation Discussions 6
M Designing a Quality Assurance and Control System Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
J Resistance to Change as a Master Thesis in Quality Assurance Professional Certifications and Degrees 7
P Definition Quality Control vs Quality Assurance - Differences or Semantics Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 26
A Quality Assurance Stamps and Supplies for Certifying Product Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
E Full Quality Assurance Certificate EU Medical Device Regulations 5
P Why does a SQA (Software Quality Assurance) standard be implemented in our company Software Quality Assurance 4
M The System engineering procedures is it considerd as Quality Assurance Procedurcs ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M QA (Quality Assurance) Monthly Report for Repaired Pallets Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
Z Quality Assurance Plan for Engineering Service Industry Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
P Level 5 CQI Diploma in Quality (Assurance and Management) Covegratulations 7
M New appointment as Quality Assurance Executive - Job Scope Career and Occupation Discussions 3
I Quality Assurance Business Plan & Strategy Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
E Responsibilities of a QA (Quality Assurance) Inspector Career and Occupation Discussions 5
P What is the last revision of Toyota SQAM (Supplier Quality Assurance Manual)? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
A Suggest Computer Aided Quality Assurance (CAQ) software for Medical Devices Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 3
N Customer Service/Inside Sales Will Not Leave Us (Quality Assurance) Alone! Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
J Rejection during Sampling Inspection (Outgoing Quality Assurance) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
P Boeing D6-51991 Quality Assurance Standard for Digital Product Definition AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
K Why Quality Assurance is Unique Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 8
N Horoscopes for Quality Assurance professionals? Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 0
M What is a Quality Assurance Plan? Help with Content for a Sea Port QA Plan Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 8