Quality Control/Assurance in the Metal Industry

Keizii

Registered
Good Day!
I dont know if it is the right place to post this thread, but i Really Appreciate if you consider and help me.

I work for a roofing company, we received a steel coil and processed it. Our end products are Steel Roofs, Web decks, Metal furrings, and other metal products used in home construction.
I just want to know how to do my job as a Quality Assurance/ control.
What should I do?
What are the procedures or tools I need to impress my managers.
Ps: I'm the only QA/QC in our company so I don't know how to start it.
I hope you all can help.
Thank you

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Your question is very wide-open.

Surely there must be requirements that the finished goods are supposed to meet. For example, if you take a roll of steel and form and cut it into a roof panel, there must be a required length, width, coating or finish, etc. Who measures/evaluates this now? They are performing QC, right?

What do your internal customers want from you?

What primary concerns does management have that you could be working on?

RW451

Starting to get Involved
What are the issues manufacturing is having trouble with?

- Suppliers?
- Raw Materials?
- Downtime?
- Yield?
- Productivity?
- Customer Complaints?

These are not exclusively "QC" concerns but never in my career have I not been knee-deep in working on these issues. Ultimately these are cost related problems and management always is trying to reduce the cost of operations. Show them how you can solve problems.

Keizii

Registered
Your question is very wide-open.

Surely there must be requirements that the finished goods are supposed to meet. For example, if you take a roll of steel and form and cut it into a roof panel, there must be a required length, width, coating or finish, etc. Who measures/evaluates this now? They are performing QC, right?

What do your internal customers want from you?

What primary concerns does management have that you could be working on?

Thank you very much
They required me to test the thickness and coating thickness of the raw mats and finished product. I uses Digital Micrometers ,.
I also want to know if there is an Alternative testing I can proceed?

Last edited:

Keizii

Registered
What are the issues manufacturing is having trouble with?

- Suppliers?
- Raw Materials?
- Downtime?
- Yield?
- Productivity?
- Customer Complaints?

These are not exclusively "QC" concerns but never in my career have I not been knee-deep in working on these issues. Ultimately these are cost related problems and management always is trying to reduce the cost of operations. Show them how you can solve problems.

Thank you for response
-for the supplier, my manager want me to evaluate the suppliers who are good, but I don't know how to do it and start because all I get is data on raw mats and Thickness and weight. (can you teach me how to evaluate them)?
- Raw mats. We only have 1 raw mats which is steel coil, from that wee produced roofs and metal products
- since they use manual coiler there is a lot of waste time
- Yield (we only get the yield strength if we able to get a third party to test our raw mats.
- for the productivity, since they can only process products in their cutting list,.
- I didn't directly get the customer complains .

mattador78

Quite Involved in Discussions
Thank you for response
-for the supplier, my manager want me to evaluate the suppliers who are good, but I don't know how to do it and start because all I get is data on raw mats and Thickness and weight. (can you teach me how to evaluate them)?
- Raw mats. We only have 1 raw mats which is steel coil, from that wee produced roofs and metal products
- since they use manual coiler there is a lot of waste time
- Yield (we only get the yield strength if we able to get a third party to test our raw mats.
- for the productivity, since they can only process products in their cutting list,.
- I didn't directly get the customer complains .
Start small with evaluating your suppliers, for example OTD and if you are measuring RFT. So is it what you ordered when you ordered it, if its not then how is that affecting your customers. Does your supplier provide you with CofC's covering your requirements or Mill certs for proof of manufacture, if not if they did supply them would that provide you with information you can catalogue and call back on if you have customer issues. You can then build it up with what you are looking for dont try and over think it you can always add to it as you need more information.

Keizii

Registered
Start small with evaluating your suppliers, for example OTD and if you are measuring RFT. So is it what you ordered when you ordered it, if its not then how is that affecting your customers. Does your supplier provide you with CofC's covering your requirements or Mill certs for proof of manufacture, if not if they did supply them would that provide you with information you can catalogue and call back on if you have customer issues. You can then build it up with what you are looking for dont try and over think it you can always add to it as you need more information.

Thank you sir
Is it possible to evaluate our supplier if i dont have an access or information from our Associate Manager only information that he gave to me is the Mill test if the RM we will received is imported.

mattador78

Quite Involved in Discussions
Thank you sir
Is it possible to evaluate our supplier if i dont have an access or information from our Associate Manager only information that he gave to me is the Mill test if the RM we will received is imported.
Just ask him for it he should have no reason not to give it, it will allow you to evaluate what you need and if he wont give it then there is not much you can do to evaluate your suppliers if you don't have any info?

RW451

Starting to get Involved
If you are starting with a supplier evaluation;

1. What is your specification for the material you need for your production process? Typically this is supplied by your engineering team.
    1. It should specify gauge, width, length, temper, protective coatings, etc.
  2. What does the purchase order state are the requirements for the material that is being requested:
    1. The above engineering specification?
    2. Packaging and product protection requirements?
    3. Delivery requirements? When is it due?
  3. When the material arrives, does the documentation, packaging and delivery meet all the requirements listed above?
  4. Can you physically verify any of the important dimensional or material properties?
  5. Create a record history log on whether all the requirements were met so you can track over time whether they are meeting requirements consistently.
    1. If they are not meeting the requirements, determine what needs to be corrected and request a corrective action from the supplier.

Top Bottom