SBS - the best value in QMS software

Quality Digest 2004 Salary Survey - Yearly Elsmar Cove Poll - Where do YOU stand?

Are you making what the survey indicates you should be?

• More than what the survey says. (Assumed 45+ hours)

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • The same but for more than 45 hours.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • The same for about 40 to 45 hours.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Less than what the survey says for 40 to 45 hours.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Less than what the survey says - more than 45 hours.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration with a Mask on...
Staff member
Admin
The 2004 Quality Digest 2004 Salary Survey is out - the below link is to the home page.

http://www.qualitydigest.com/

From the article:

"If you like numbers (And what self-respecting quality professional doesn’t?), salary surveys present hours of entertainment. This is particularly true if you try to correlate survey results to your own situation or if you compare one year’s results to another’s.

Questions abound: “Why don’t I make as much as what the survey shows I should?” “Why does a vice president make more than a president or CEO?” “Should I move to the West Coast, home of higher salaries, Starbucks and a governor who can bench press twice his weight in quality consultants?”

Unfortunately, we can’t answer these questions. However, we can present all the data, let you draw your own conclusions and offer a few observations of our own.

If you’re new to salary surveys, here are some of the rules: A survey of this type is only a guideline, a yardstick that gives some indication of where your salary should be relative to other positions--not an absolute indicator of how much you should be making. To get the most out of the data, look at your position from every angle: regional, industry and broad title classification (e.g., executive, manager, technical). This will give you a general idea of where you stand. If you find your salary is much lower than the average salary, no matter which table you look at, you may have cause for concern."

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

Aaron Lupo

I voted less than what the survey shows for more than 45 hours. However, I need to state that is for the job I am currently working. Now with that said I will only be here two more weeks and if I was to vote based on my new employeer I would have voted the same for about 40-45 hours.

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
I voted "more" based on my most recent full-time employment. I have finally pulled the pin on full-time employment and am now ready to consider interesting opportunities to help folks on relatively short-term projects where I can help on-site folks learn how to continue once I leave. I will continue to expand my speech and seminar business, but I do not intend to become a full-time road warrior like some of my friends who are away from home 200 days and nights per year.

I'm really looking for situations which will make good case-study material for a book I am starting to flesh out. If you hear of one, be sure to let me know.

Last edited:
S

Sean Kelley

I am currently making much less than stated but next Monday is my last day at this employer. I just took a promotion to a director of quality at an iron powder facility for a significant increase in salary with the likelyhood of an excellent bonus as well. Taking the position was not just for money there is also a much greater appreciation for quality there as well. Where I am at now production is the rule. If we make it someone will buy it.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Sean, Wes, Aaron,

Congratulations! Nothing like moving-up in the work world, and doing it on your terms. May your tribe increase!

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
If you take CQE, consultant, master's degree and western, you pretty much hit my salary at my 40 hour job within a few thousand dollars. But in addition I teach evening courses and do a little side consulting, so that would bring me to I make more than the salary survey predicts, but at about 48 to 55 total hours worked.

- Steve

Last edited:

Govind

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Does the survey take into account effects of Multiple ASQ Certifications?

Say an employee gets an increment for every additional ASQ certifications that adds value to the organization and relevant to job responsibility. How should we interpret this in the survey?
Govind.
Note: Iam not rewarded like this method in my organizations:) Just a question!

D

DDaenen1

Well above. Ofcourse european salary levels may differ significantly from american but one thing i do get out of is that i don't need to move to the states or Canada to earn more money! :D

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
Govind said:
Does the survey take into account effects of Multiple ASQ Certifications?

Say an employee gets an increment for every additional ASQ certifications that adds value to the organization and relevant to job responsibility. How should we interpret this in the survey?
Govind.
Note: Iam not rewarded like this method in my organizations:) Just a question!
Quite frankly, in all the years I have been a manager or an executive, I can't recall one instance where we paid anything extra for a degree or certification (especially extra ones gained during employment with us.)

However:
We paid for value received. If the additional degree or certification meant the employee could qualify for a different job or job level within our company, he or she got an opportunity to move to that level if it was open.

Think of it this way - does a PhD create more value for a taxi driver? We encouraged folks who had gained skills and experience (including degrees and certifications not required by us) to pursue different job opportunities within our organization or outside with other organizations. We didn't act like the "dog in the manger" by trying to keep highly qualified employees in low level jobs beneath their skills and experience.

B

Bill Pflanz

Although it may be true that your current employer may not increase your salary for certifications, the employee should still consider obtaining the certifications. If the employee loses their job or just wants to look around at other opportunities, job postings normally include a need for CQE, Six Sigma etc. for consideration for the job. If your resume includes the certification then it may be added to the pile that gets an interview rather the the pile that only gets looked at if all else fails. You would still need to sell yourself during the interview.

If you were a valued employee who took the initiative to get a certification, then you would hope that your employee would take that into consideration for other opportunities or increased responsibilities which could result in a salary increase.

Bill Pflanz

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Wes Bucey Quality Digest Survey of ISO Registrants - 2004 - Client-registrar relationship Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 0
WCHorn Quality Digest article on the Process Approach to ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
D Quality Digest article - "An Honest Gage R&R Study" - Where is he getting the d2*? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
U 25 Problems Article from Quality Digest, by Jamie Flinchbaugh The Reading Room 1
P A collection of Dr. Wheeler's Articles from SPC Toolkit column of Quality Digest Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
Q Looking for a certain article in previous issues of Quality Digest World News 6
Q Quality Digest 2007 Salary Survey Available Online Career and Occupation Discussions 1
Crusader Internal Auditing for ISO/TS-16949 - Quality Digest article May 2006 General Auditing Discussions 1
CarolX Seeking Trade Magazine (like Quality or Quality Digest) in Spanish Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2
Sidney Vianna Someone is threatening to sue Quality Digest over an old article World News 9
A New Quality Gurus? As listed by Quality Digest - A general Discussion Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 22
Marc Six Sigma Survey for November Quality Digest article Six Sigma 5
Marc No More Yearly Quality Digest Registrar Rating? Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
Marc Quality Digest Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 12
M Is That A Knife In My Back?!?! Quality Digest (February 2002) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 40
T 21 CFR 820.20 - Quality Planning Requirements? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
S Supplier protocol for the Quality Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
bruceian Software Quality Metrics Software Quality Assurance 11
R Quality System Functional Safety Checklist / Guidance IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
N Quality Compliance Officer - ISO 13485, London Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
Bev D Essential References for Practical Quality Engineering Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 0
optomist1 Automotive News The Cost of Inspecting In Quality IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
O Any info on release date of FDA “Computer Software Assurance for Manufacturing and Quality System Software” document? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
M Quality Manual - Where does Revision History Section go? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
John Broomfield CIOB - Code of Quality Management Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 0
S Quality Audit Training Activities Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
D Are Supplier Quality Agreements Quality Records ? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 9
D Big companies suffer from quality management system? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
K Looking for a job as Quality Engineer Career and Occupation Discussions 2
B Two excellent examples of process capability analysis from Quality Magazine Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
Pau Calvo Quality Management process is mandatory in ISO9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
NDesouza No Quality Professional vs Having a Quality Professional Benchmarking 24
F Does anyone have an ESD quality/cooler talk to share? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
R Monitor production quality - Internal KPIs Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
U Examples of Quality Objectives for a Medtech start up ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M SemaTech SSQA Standardized Supplier Quality Assessment - my favorite tool ever Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
D Supplier Quality level category help - high level ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
A Quality engineering positions in US - question Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 1
R How would you work without a quality management system? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
P Conformity assessment based on a quality management system or production quality assurance EU Medical Device Regulations 3
H Updating Quality Manual to API Q1 Service Industry Specific Topics 4
R Electrical contractor Project Quality Management Plan Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
D Supplier Quality - How to classify a supplier level Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 10
R China Quality Certification Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
S Quality management system (Well head installation & maintenance) Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 5
V Quality review Meeting with Customer for complaints we received Customer Complaints 6
G Copy of withdrawn ISO 9001:1994 Quality Management Standard ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
C Quality, efficiency and effectiveness of daily work routines Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
P How to develop executable quality management system for rookies? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
M Requirement to manufacture under a quality management system EU Medical Device Regulations 4