Quality Digest article on the Process Approach to ISO 9001

AndyN

Moved On
It's good, but it's more about Turtles which have been debated at length. I'd like to see someone who could show how the "Process Approach" is supposed to work, from setting policy (it's a framework for objectives, right?), through objective setting (management review, yeah?) then deploying each process, with the relevant support processes in place, through process measurement/monitoring and leading to audits and then improvements.

I've yet to see anyone write an article with a full grasp of that whole thing...(and not mention an infernal, bloody turtle)

Peter Fraser

Trusted Information Resource
If it had started with:
"By assessing the effectiveness of operational processes in achieving overall company goals and objectives, the concept of risk is now being considered."
I would be OK with that, but I struggled with ...

"The process approach ... means shifting focus away from basic compliance to embrace an ?improvement? mindset."
Why so? It means "appreciating and applying all the elements involved in implementing and managing a process".

"A process is commonly defined as a number of reproducible, interacting activities that together convert an input into an output. An input is something that drives or starts the process, such as people, resources, or materials. Multiple inputs can, and usually do, exist."
Reproducible, interacting, convert (people, resources...) - why so?
A resource drives or starts a process...?

"It (The process approach) looks at the management system not just as a document, but also..."
The management system is a document?

"The process approach is a review of the sequence and interaction of processes and their inputs and outputs".
The process approach is a review - really?

"The results of the turtle diagram ... allow for use of the plan, do, check, act (PDCA) cycle as it applies to the process."
How, and why should it?

"SWOT is a business tool that translates ?ISO language? into a format that senior management can more easily understand".
Not sure that I follow - SWOT has nothing to do with ISO.

I found the article useful, but mainly in understanding the confusion that still exists around the concepts.

Top Bottom