Quality Group Salaries as Percent of Sales (as part of the Cost of Quality)

G

GoKats78

We track (as part of the Cost of Quality) the salaries of our Quality department in actual dollars and as a percent of sales. I have been asked to find an "industry standard" for this number.

Ok...not knowing where to start...I came here.

Across the board (in automotive) what type of number is there for quality department salaries as a percent of sales? Any ideas?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Quality Group Salaries as Percent of Sales

We track (as part of the Cost of Quality) the salaries of our Quality department in actual dollars and as a percent of sales. I have been asked to find an "industry standard" for this number.

Across the board (in automotive) what type of number is there for quality department salaries as a percent of sales? Any ideas?

What would be the meaning and use of "percentage of sales" if sales numbers constantly vary?
Just curious.

Stijloor.

GStough

Staff member
Super Moderator

Have you checked the December 2007 issue of Quality Progress magazine? They always publish a salary review in the annual December issue, and you can find the data assimilated according to education, geographic location, position/title, etc.

If you are a member of ASQ, you can access this information through their web site at asq.org.

Hope this helps. :bigwave:

Last edited:
B

Bob_M

Sounds like management is trying to justify paying you...

What do sales dollars have to do with your salary? (Other than normal budgetary reviews within a business).

Bosses not seem to understand WHY you have a Quality Management System.

:2cents:

G

GoKats78

Who really knows why anyone would want this data....but the boss does...

I've learned, sometimes, it is better just to "put the guarantee on the box"....

Last edited by a moderator:
A

achorste

Do you count inspectors, enviromental management, H&S etc as part of the quality dept? Some companies do, some don't - wouldn't this skew the figures somewhat?

G

GoKats78

That would definitely skew the numbers...

But since our numbers don't include those groups it might make our % look small....

...we could use it to help boost our group! (or our salaries!):tg:

D

D.Scott

As a general guide Feigenbaum, in his "Total Quality Control", suggests the cost of quality and safety is an amount from 7 to 10 percent (and even more) of total sales billed.

This percentage includes all costs of quality including prevention, appraisal, internal failure and external failure. The actual allocation for salary expense would be specific to your company and would presumably be commensurate with the associated corporate emphasis in a CoQ area.

To me the benefit of this calculation is to set goals and objectives within the quality department. In that sense it is very useful.

Dave

G

GoKats78

We do not include Safety in our formula....

And you are right in that the the benefits are only good within our department...but, having said that...what kind of number should that be? any educated guesses...or any clue as to where I can find that number...

What percentage of that 7 to 10% should be comprised of salaries?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S SQM (Supplier Quality Management) - Centralized or divided per Business Group Benchmarking 0
D Support Group for Global Quality, Regulatory, and Trade Compliance Professionals Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
Q Responsibilities in a Quality Group ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Sidney Vianna The IAQG (International Aerospace Quality Group) Newsletters AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 8
Paul Simpson Quality Management Principles Working Group ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 48
V Group Quality Manual for an Insurance Company with 3 Subsidiaries Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
K Group Quality Manual - One QM for the Company (including the 2 subsidiaries) Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 3
Q Re-Organization - A group of 15 QEs (Quality Engineers) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 11
B The PQG (Pharmaceutical Quality Group) series of standards: PS 9000: 2001 Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
T Preparing Quality Management System Reviews for the Executive Management Group ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
Sean Kelley Anyone have good ideas on QA (quality assurance) group goals and objectives? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
Sidney Vianna IAQG - International Aerospace Quality Group AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 7
John Broomfield Informational Terms used in quality management Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
D Imaging/Image Quality Standards Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
D Quality Team Structure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
V Quality Objectives - ISO 9001 2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
E Best way to keep up with pharmaceutical quality knowledge and current affairs Service Industry Specific Topics 1
C Quality assurance in Pharmacovigilance Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
I Quality Policy and Objectives examples Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 4
Miner Quality checks of product QR codes FMEA and Control Plans 2
S ISO 13485 Lead Auditor - Debate between our Quality Team and Regulatory Auditor - Internal Auditor Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15
M Operational (free) simulation games for manufacturing and quality Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
I Help: QFD House of Quality Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
F Risk for Quality Assurance Department in a Hospital - Hospital Incident Reporting ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
I New to LEAN but not to Quality - How to run Kaizen events Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
T Ideas for developing a Supplier Quality Management System, non automotive ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S SOP for ISO 13485:2016 Quality related Software validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
S Cost of Poor Quality (CoPQ) - Scrap element of calculation includes lost margin? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
S Quality manager considering data science Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 19
M Specific Values of Quality Objectives Benchmarking 5
J How to make Quality Control plans Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
P VDA AIAG FMEA - Slides for Quality Audience FMEA and Control Plans 4
T Question about Quality Department employee position titles Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
C Quality Manager vs Warranty (service) Manager - Authorities & Responsibilities Customer Complaints 2
S Proposed Quality Improvement - Thoughts? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
K A proposal for the model Quality Management - I need help for the project ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
was named killer CLOUD BASED QUALITY DOCUMENTATION vs. SERVER BASED Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
M MDR requires the NB to perform "tests in order to check that the quality management system" EU Medical Device Regulations 3
W Air Quality Measurement Hardware and Software General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
B Seven Basic Quality Tools (January 23) [Paid] Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
Q Quality Objectives Not Met - Resources promised by investors ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
E Resources for Planning for top quality Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 6
V What plans have been put in place to achieve quality objectives? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
B Include cost of quality (and other wastes) in an ISO 9001 system? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
R CQA Primer by the Quality Council of Indiana ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A Objectives in Quality Policy ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
B Corrective and Preventive Action (CAPA) A Key Process of the Quality Management System Dec 17... Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
I Good resources for learning statistics (quality engineering related) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
B What is the role of Quality Engineer in APQP and PPAP APQP and PPAP 3
A Supplier Quality Standard vs Senior Management Direction Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2