Quality Inspection

Hi,

I know it sounds crazy to ask very silly questions. But i just wanted to clear my doubts in the following:

1. If there is a product to be scrapped because it is dispositioned as per the NCR. Is it a Quality inspection scrap or verification testing scrap?
2. when the defective product is sorted as part of complaint's investigation does it fall under verification testing as well?

Need help in this.

Thank you.

Nupur.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
For item 1, I would scrap it for the code reason it was scrapped. If for example, the part failed to meet a dimensional tolerance, I scrap code as dimensional. If it is scrapped because it does not meet a color requirement, I would scrap it using a code indicating 'color'. This separates the scrap (in a report I assume) into 'why' and you can start addressing that.

This is assuming I am reading the specific question correctly. If I am reading this correctly, one thing I will add. Avoid making too many codes. Try to keep the codes to a manageable list. For example, if you make a code for dimensional issue, this would apply to all parts that failed a dimension. I would avoid making a code for dimensional-OD, dimensional-ID, dimensional-Length and keep it just dimensional.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
I agree with Michael_M. Ideally this would be in a procedure somewhere. If you are developing it, look to the purpose of your disposition codes: what the codes would do to help take meaningful action.

Yeah I am trying to make as less codes as possible but don't want to confuse anyone using it on the software. I want to make the codes clear to everyone's understanding.

Thank you.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'd suggest you might want a few families of codes:

1. What process discovered it (random sampling, verification review, audit, noticed by a worker or QA, customer complaint)
2. What caused it to be rejected (such as surface defect, paperwork, dimensional)
3. What was the resolution (could it be reworked, or part of it recycled, or was it 100% scrap?)
4. What was the dollar cost? (OK, not a code per se but worth gathering)

Hi,

So I made a list of scrap codes but while I was doing the definition I was confused as in what should be written so that it is easier for everyone to understand and to use those while scrapping.

For instance, if someone does scrapping for Quality Inspection for either burst test or NCRs, how will they know where to put it without having a proper definition.
I just need some information on how to write it as clear and understandable as possible to everyone.

Thank you.

Nupur Ray

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S QUALITY OBJECTIVEs for third party garments factory inspection ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S Improving Quality inspection gate in one piece flow manufacturing process Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
M Loss of a Quality Record - FDA Inspection Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
A Quality Plan - Inspection method, equipment list for inspection of a Spur Gear Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
I Quality Procedures (as required by ISO 9001) for Inspection Bodies ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
L Difference between a Quality Plan and Inspection & Test Plan (ITP) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
B Paint Inspection - Paint Quality (such as rust, peel off, paint sag etc) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
Y ISO 17020 Quality Manual for Inspection Bodies Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
M Incoming, In-Process, Final and Outgoing Quality Inspection Procedure examples Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
R How to Improve a Quality Inspection System Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
Q Success or failures using Quality inspection services in China Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
J Rejection during Sampling Inspection (Outgoing Quality Assurance) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
Q AQL - How do I determine Acceptable Quality Level (AQL) for In-Process Inspection? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 2
V Quality Plan (Inspection, Recording and Corrective Actions) Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 2
I What should be the Quality Inspection regime for a new plant? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
H Need help with AQL (Acceptable Quality Level) for a QC inspection AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 8
C Medical Device On The Floor Receiving (Incoming) Quality Inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
T How do I Reduce Frequency of Receiving Inspection Testing for Quality Control Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
S How to maintain 0 Rejections for Quality Receiving Inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
R Starting In-Process Quality Inspection in the Production Shopfloor Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 13
AnaMariaVR2 Laboratory Equipment Quality System - Calibration, Maintenance and Inspection Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 10
S Quality Is Not Just Inspection Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
J Quality Control of High Tension Steel Cable Bolt - Inspection Method Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
E 99.5% - Quality Inspection Requirement (Power / Sample Size Selection) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
M Incoming Quality Receiving Inspection Report sample Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
W How to make a Product Specification Summary / Quality Inspection Sheet Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
J Quality System Requirements for 3rd Party Inspection IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Q Quality issues from Asia please recommend 3rd party inspection source. Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
G "Inspection Culture " to "Quality Assurance Culture" - Upcoming Job Interview Career and Occupation Discussions 15
J Tracking Cost of Quality - Inspection laboratory and production inspection time/cost Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
D Quality Training for Operators and Production Supervisors to do Self-Inspection Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
gdwaikle Regulatory requirement for Receiving Inspection reporting to Quality Org.? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
R Rubber Initial & Inspection Stamps - Valid or a violation of FDA quality guidelines? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
K Software that will enable our company to make Quality Inspection Sheets Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 16
A Do Quality System Documents have to be in English (for USFDA onsite inspection) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
P Lean Manufacturing - Eliminating Inspection - Can Quality Survive? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 49
D Quality Software - Multiple Use - CMM Data, Inspection Sheets, etc Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 4
H Operator Quality Certification - Visual Inspection - Very high customer return rate Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 13
T Supplier Quality (Audit/Inspection, yadayada) Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
Hershal ASQ Inspection and Measurement Quality divisions conference September 2004 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
B Quality Records - How long do you keep inspection records and why? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 31
L Classes offered for training on composite quality assurance and inspection? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
J Part Approval - Eliminating Incoming Quality Inspection by Customer Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
N Incoming Product Quality - Receiving inspection for chemical substance Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
F Incoming Material Inspection Plan - Drawing CTQ (Critical to Quality) features linked Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
J Quality Engineering Long Term Career Advice Career and Occupation Discussions 3
M Quality Management-ISO 9001:2015 General Auditing Discussions 1
M UDI barcode quality EU Medical Device Regulations 3
H Quality planning sign-off in AIAG APQP Manual IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
S Creating a Quality culture! AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8