Quality Management Principles

D

duthie135

I understand the meanings and benefits of the principles but I struggle to identify specific examples of how an organisation would implement and apply Leadership and System Approach to Management.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
I understand the meanings and benefits of the principles but I struggle to identify specific examples of how an organisation would implement and apply Leadership and System Approach to Management.

duthie,

Leaders may already have studied how their organization interacts as a system with its customers and suppliers to create more successful customers.

From this the leaders may have determined their organization's opportunities, risks, processes and their interactions to fulfill their system's mission.

Process leaders may have analyzed each of their system's processes to understand how they work and interact to fulfill their criteria for success.

Leaders engage their followers to ensure their system's processes and management system's procedures are understood, used and improved.

The organization's leaders review the performance of their organization as a system to target their investment decisions to secure current and future improvements.

Of course, this principle does not mean the chief executive made someone else responsible to put together a set of documented procedures (known collectively as a QMS) to obtain certification.

John

D

duthie135

Thanks for the reply John. So, in the context of auditing then what evidence (documented / objective) could be sought in order to ascertain the application of these 2 principles?

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Thanks for the reply John. So, in the context of auditing then what evidence (documented / objective) could be sought in order to ascertain the application of these 2 principles?

duthie,

The quality management principles are not audit criteria. So, I'm unsure why you would ask.

But when auditing is is relatively plain to see the results of leaders of the organization and its processes doing what I suggested you may find, for example:

1. Leaders can explain how their organization interacts as a system with its customers and suppliers to create more successful customers.

2. Leaders can explain their organization's opportunities and risks.

3. Processes necessary fulfill their system's mission have been determined and the process owners or leaders named and authorized to analyze their cross-functional processes and interactions. You can see no evidence of department or function managers interfering with this.

4. Process leaders have analyzed each of their system's processes to understand how they work and interact to fulfill their criteria for success - the result usually comprise deployment flowcharts but other formats (such as SIPOC or turtle diagrams) may show the processes and their interaction.

5. Leaders engage their followers by monitoring to ensure their system's processes and management system's procedures are understood, used and improved. In fact, you may ask to audit their process monitoring.

6. Consequently, you see evidence of preventive action and corrective action arising from the planning, operation and monitoring of processes. They are not waiting for the auditor to report weaknesses and nonconformity.

7. The top manager leads the review of the performance of their organization as a system and targets investment decisions to secure current and future improvements.

In fact, the management system works well without relying on audit.

John

D

duthie135

Thanks again for the respone John. For context, this is revision I am doing in the lead up to an exam. A frequently asked question relates to the 8 QM principles where usually 2 or 3 are selected and the aim is to describe ways in which the principles can be applied. I have found it generally more difficult to identify exact ways in which to apply the principles of leadership and also system approach to management.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions

If you could post the Leadership and system approach that you are looking at - we could provide you with samples in the industry that you work or looking for. So, let us know the principles and areas to help you. :popcorn::read::cool:

Chennaiite

Never-say-die
Trusted Information Resource
Thanks again for the respone John. For context, this is revision I am doing in the lead up to an exam. A frequently asked question relates to the 8 QM principles where usually 2 or 3 are selected and the aim is to describe ways in which the principles can be applied. I have found it generally more difficult to identify exact ways in which to apply the principles of leadership and also system approach to management.

ISO/TC has made it simple for you;

For Leadership - Cite down ISO 9001 Clause 5 in a plain language
For System approach to Management - Cite down ISO 9001 4.1 in a plain language

Top Bottom